Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

How Good is Dan Johnson?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: How Good is Dan Johnson?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:49 pm:

I haven’t seen the guy play. His numbers are sick. But…he didn’t get a cup of coffee last year, and doesn’t project to make the team’s opening day roster. Yeah, we have a log jam w/left 1st-base/DH-types, but I’m thinking if Johnson was the “Real Deal” wouldn’t we have seen him? Wouldn’t he have been a shoe-in for the Opening Day Roster? Wouldn’t Hatte/Rubi be expendible (as was Miggy when we had Crosby in the wings). If anyone’s seen Johnson, what’s your unbiased opinion of the guy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:11 pm:

Hatte is proven and cheap. Durazo lacks defensive skills, don't know how well Johnson plays defensively. I would think Hatteberg would go first if Johnson comes up. Seems Hatteberg is a Beane favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:17 pm:

No doubt. I just don't if Johnson is as good as his stats or if he's another Koonce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pokayoats on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:18 pm:

If he is another Koonce, then he is a younger Koonce. And that warrants a shot. He will be an A come opening day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:29 pm:

This past October BA rated him as the 13th best player in the PCL. Of the top 13, at least 7 are now in the majors, including Swisher, Blanton, Jackson. Anyway, this is part of what they have to say about him.

"Johnson's 225 RBIs over the last two seasons are more than any minor leaguers.

He is similar to Oakland DH Eurubiel Durazo. Both are big guys who hit for average, get on base and put up respectable but not outstanding HR totals. Johnson can hit quality fastballs and batted .302 against lefthanders in '04, though just one of his 29 HRs came against them.

Unlike Durazo and to his advantage Johnson isn't clumsy and can play a position. He's not the smoothest of first basemen, but he has worked very hard to get himself into better shape and become an adequate fielder."

I heard this morning that the A's and Durazo are supposedly close to a contract extension. It will be interesting to see whether that will be a multi-year, which may or may not be significant where Johnson is concerned. Because they can always deal Durazo if and when they feel Johnson is ready. I just can't believe they will keep Johnson up here as long as Durazo is here. And, let's face it, Billy loves Hatteberg. But then he loved Huddy and Mulder, too.

It will be interesting to see what Johnson does in ST. If he goes wild, he may get to break with the A's, but I kind of doubt it. Thing is, he is 25, so it seems they are going to have to see whether he is the real deal pretty soon.

So far this winter, he has hit 10 HRs in the Mexican League, but he's not hitting for much average .... like around .250-.260, last I saw. They also had him playing some outfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:30 pm:

Okay, is he good from what anyone's seen? I.e., good eye, compact swing, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Oh, and the guy is an on base machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

OKP, in part of BA's assessment, they said he had shortened successfully shortened his swing. He hits for average, takes his walks and has more than adequate power. In short, he almost sounds like a clone of Durazo, as the BA report seems to allude to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:53 pm:

He also suffers from vertigo which has cost him some games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:25 pm:

I just don't see how he's going to fit with this club while we have Hattey and Durazo. I think Hattey has one year left on his contract. If so, I would think that that is when we'd see DJ. Why would we carry 3 1b/dh guys? Isn't DJ a lefty as well? All lefties? Makes no sense.

That said, I am a Hattey supporter - I love Durazo - don't know much about DJ. Just don't see how it all fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

There are enough at bats for all three. Hatte wore down last year and Durazo was banged up at the end of the year, too. Johnson has also gotten some work in the outfield. I don't see the A's sending him back to AAA - he has nothing left to prove there. Most likely, he will be broken in mostly against right handed pitching to give Hatte a rest at first, and occasionally to spell Durazo (with Hatte likely then moving to DH). HOpefully, this arrangement wil get the max out of Hatte and Durazo and give Johnson his break in year.

I have seen Johnson a few times on TV. He has kind of a strange crouch and doesn't look like he is as good as he is. But he has gotten the job done at every level. The one strange stat from last year was no home runs off left handers even though he hit .300 against them. He hits home runs in streaks.

Within a couple of years, he likley will be a potent middle of the order bat for us in the high OBP mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

Gary you're feeding into my doubt. See, swisher looks good at the plate--regardless of his stats. Scouts look at a guys form as much as stats (of course that's anti-moneyball talk...but still...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:54 pm:

Jeff Bagwell has a strange crouch too. A lot of guys have unconventional stances (remember Carney's incessant shaking of the bat?). Whatever works is good with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

okplayer,

Well, you never know with guys - I mean who would have thought Ben Grieve would have regressed to the degree he has. Johnson has been a more consistent hitter than Swisher. Swisher has shown more power. I get a good feeling about Johnson. Kind of like in basketball when you have a guy who isn't the best athlete, but he is a good scorer (not just shooter, he finds a way to put the ball in the hole). I think Johnson is the baseball equivalent - an RBI type guy who will drive in the runs one way or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

Johnson has gotten better as he progressed through each level.

On the vertigo. Does anyone know whether that has been a problem more times than the one incident up here last season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:08 pm:

I am always hesitant about having guys platooning - especially a rookie. I would rather him just have a job - and stick to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:25 am:

It seems like he could be expendible if Barton is as good as advertised and moves to 1st (which is likely).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:33 am:

Yeah, but that's still a couple of years away from happening at the earliest. You gotta give this kid a shot to develop in the interim.

I love Hattey, and he's probably a good, stabilizing influence, but if we're gonna keep him, I would bench him and let Johnson get the majority of the ABs, especially against RHP. Let him hit righties and build his confidence up that way. That's what we did with Chavvy when he first came up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:48 am:

Agreed big 3 about hatte. just not an every day 1st bagger. plus his glove is rather so-so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:30 am:

Again, I agree with BigThree and Adam. I think it is time to give the guy a shot. And if you do that, you can't leave him on the bench. Put Hatteberg there and see how it goes. Barton and Powell (who will also likely end up 1b/DH) are probably at least 2 years away. In the meantime, if the guy can hack it, then when one of the others is ready, we've got two guys in the middle who can get on base, hit and hit for power. What's to lose? Oh yeh, and they'll be cheap ... for awhile.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.