Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Who Needs the Big 3 Anyway?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Who Needs the Big 3 Anyway?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

Ah just yanking your chain. Actually, I was mortified by the Huddy and Mulder deals, no doubt. But heres something to keep in mind: we were successful w/out the big 3 during the Moneyball Regime. No one has really pointed that out. In 1999 we were 12 over .500 (87-75) and in the wild card hunt until late. Only Huddy had hit the scene and he only pitched ½ a season or so. In 2000, we made the playoffs w/out the Big 3 in full effect. Remember, Mulder before his injury was 11-11 or so and had a 5+ era. Zito played ½ a season (though was lights out). My point being, BB haters will cite the Big 3 has the true reason for the As success. But, if you dig deeper, this team did win w/out the Big 3. Just food for thought. Yeah, we'll take a hit in 2005, but don't expect us to come close to tanking it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:29 pm:

Who's a BB hater?

sigh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

LOL...actually I am too sometimes. Actually, my biggest gripe with BB is his response to criticism. He always goes "in our economic climate we have to take risks." As such, when he suceeds he looks like a genious. When he fails, well it's due to "economics."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 07:08 pm:

...and he is getting to be as bad of a whiner as his boss about the coli.
what do you want from a place where you hardly pay any rent and get all the concessions money.

the least they can do is call a plumber instead of whining about the clogged bathrooms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:03 pm:

this is what i do not understand and i wine about all the time, the A's in the deal they have are making a fortune in cash they sell out 70%of lux boxes and they have more of those then any new stadium, they get all the consesioons parking .

It all comes down to schott wanting that NY Yankee $$$ at the end of the yr, 16 mill to be right about it, the A's owners are so dam corrupt if they keep the big 3 or even 2 they lose millions in bonus $$$.

This is why the structure of this agreement should be changed to make teams increase payroll to get this kind of $$$, make them have to keep a cetain % of top tier FA to get this$$$$. i tell you schott would be singing a diff song if he had to sign his top FA to get bonus money and all of a sudden he would find the $$$ tucked under his bed you better beleive it.

Baseballl is teaching kids to be corrupt because it itself is very corrupt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:12 pm:

YEah, I honestly don't know as much about the ballpark issues as you all. And, I am a big BB fan - but hearing him talk about how the bathroom clogs was SUCH in poor taste. It was like he found an oppty to bitch about it and he took it to the streets. SORRY, clogged toilets has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with trades - that is such BS!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.