Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Nice profile on Daric Barton by John Sickels

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Nice profile on Daric Barton by John Sickels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 09:08 am:

Wow! If this guy is for real, my only question is how soon can he get here? :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1953008

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 11:36 am:

From what I read, he could be on the team in 2006.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 09:24 pm:

let's see how he produces. if he mashes he'll move up in the org pronto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 11:40 pm:

Double A will be the big test. If someone his age can hit well at AA, then they are usually solid gold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 11:46 pm:

Except for Adam Piatt. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

And Ernie Young. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:33 pm:

"There are, literally, no flaws in Barton's hitting performance."

Music to my ears. You can't get much more of a glowing report than that. Sickels puts together some good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lenny on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 08:40 am:

Piatt was already 23 when he had his big year in AA, and Ernie Young was Ernie Old when he put up his big minor league numbers.
Barton will play most of next season as a 19-year-old. We're talking about a guy who won't legally get into a bar until August of 2006!
Geez, this makes me feel old...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:36 am:

Speculation about his defensive position is interesting. I hope the A's move him to 1B sooner rather than later. With plenty of catching prospects in the system, there is no need to risk this guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:39 am:

god knows we could use an upgrade at 1B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

Too bad he bats left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 11:45 am:

dansward, wouldn't worry about his "D". I read an article that suggested that, given Barton's so-so glove and unbelievable bat, that it might be a best use of resources to DH-him 100%. I personally think 1st is a more logical option...that is, if Johnson doesn't pan out (or is traded).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:07 pm:

okplayer, agreed. I just think they should move him now rather than risk injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

Johnson's not exactly the second coming of JT Snow or Doug Mientkiewicz defensively, either, so it's not like we'd lose much if Barton played 1B and Johnson DH'ed a couple of years down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:44 pm:

totally dansward. he should NEVER catch again. ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:55 pm:

here is another article about our boy Daric:

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/features/articles2004/fab50/062204.41.html

I am sure some of you have read it (it came up #1 on Google) but I will post it anyway, since it is a nice article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 03:29 pm:

"Barton has the potential to be a future franchise player."

Oh
My
God

I hope it's true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:05 pm:

Yeh, then at the age of 26 when he hits the FA market, he'll be in his prime. But, hey, they'll probably have been in Las Vegas for 2-3 years by then, anyway and maybe the transient fans won't be transient after all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.