Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Baseball Notebook: Top 100 Hitting Prospects; No. 1, Daric Barton

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Baseball Notebook: Top 100 Hitting Prospects; No. 1, Daric Barton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:42 am:

First of all, I preface this with when you get to this site, you might want to click on Read about the Editor. Also, note that Barton is shown under the NL prospects; click on the "first part of the series" for the rest of the AL, as well as to what his criteria is.

"1. Daric Barton, C. St. Louis: On the AL lists I said that Ryan Barko, among catching psospects, was the 'best in the AL as of the end of 2004' and while that statement is true, there's a new name in the AL now as I mentioned above. I've been publishing these prospects lists for about fifteen years and never in the history of publishing these has the top prospect changed leagues until now and that's Daric Barton, who was just traded a week ago to Oakland in the Mark Mulder deal. In Barton, you have a player who will one day hit 30 homeruns, walk at a league-leading pace, hit .300 and rarely strike out. This, of course, may all happen seven or eight years from now but it will happen. I also suspect that he will one day be the highest-paid player in baseball, for what that's worth."

Well, of course, we all know he won't be the highest paid player with the A's. :(

http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.asp?esource=e_122804.asp&topt-Top%20100%20Prospects%20NL%20Hitters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 01:13 pm:

How many years until Barton's free-agency?

The problem with high school draftees is that you're more likely to lose them before their prime (that is if you're a cheap-ass owner who doesn't want to keep your top players).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 01:49 pm:

Yeah, that's also why we generally like to keep our draftees in the minors until they are 24 or 25 so we get all their "prime" years before they become FA's.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.