Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

laugh or cry...Page2 A series of unfortunate payrolls

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: laugh or cry...Page2 A series of unfortunate payrolls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/041231

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 05:54 pm:

Unless I missed someone, Mulder is the only (former) Athletic on that list. The best part is he doesn't project the Skanks to win a WS in any of those years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

I can picture Zito in that rotation sooner than Mulder.

The funny thing is that the writer made a special category for the Balco kid Giambi but there may be others joining him on that list in a year or two...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dearie on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:21 pm:

Why are you guys so full of envy?

Don't you wish you had an owner who wants to win and spends the money on good players?

It seems to me you all have a serious case of sour grapes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:30 pm:

We can pretend that the big money teams are wasting their money, but the reality is that no small-market team has won the American League since 1997. (The '02 Angels were a mid-market team.)

For awhile now, every time I've seen a player tearing it up for another team, like Cabrera or Santana, I've always said, "I wonder how long it'll be before he plays for the Yankees." It sickens me.

P.S. With the huge amount of cash changing hands between the D-Backs and Yankees, Selig should nix the Johnson deal. How much do you want to bet that he won't?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:38 pm:

Dear dearie:

Teams like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, et al can never hope to have enough revenue to aspire to a $200m payroll, no matter how much "gumption" their owners have.

When a competitor reaches a position of monopoly, I call complaints about that position a just grievance. You're free to call it sour grapes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:43 pm:

It could be worse.

We could be the Oakland Athletics of San Francisco!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:50 pm:

Are you alluding to the California Angels? I mean, the Anaheim Angels? I mean, the Los Angeles Angels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

5th,

Selig already gave his blessing to the Randy Johnson trade. They are just working on an extension of his contract now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fwa3 on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 08:33 pm:

The yankee model of success takes the fun out of the game. While it seems like a good idea to have an all star at every position, 1 thru 5 on your pitching staff, and throughout the pen, where is there room for those unkown quantities that invariably show up to put a team over the top? The unexpected rookie, the crafty veteran??? When the yanks started their run of WS titles they had paul oneil and chad curtis in the outfield, chili davis/strawberry at DH, and brosius at third (not to mention the emergence of shane spencer in september). They didnt have many all-stars and no MVP candidates yet they were a great team.

I enjoy hearing about rookies in the minors and cheering on their major league success (crosby, harden), mid grade prospects who turn out to be a godsend for portions of the season (byrnes, duke), and journeymen who were integral to a teams success for 1-2 seasons.

Every WS champ has had these. Of course its the stars who shine brightest, but its these guys who make the game so much fun to watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

Yeh, dearie, there are sour grapes here, just as there are in every baseball city other than NY. I mean the whole thing has gotten beyond ridiculous. And the even sicker part is Gorgie Porgie so overpays these players, that other teams can't even afford to sign their peers, after the market has been set; the irony being, it's a market only the Yankees can afford.

Hey, here in Oakland it would be reason to celebrate if we had an owner willing to up the payroll ... for the entire team ... to $70mil! Heck, the Yankees' pitching staff is at $95mil ... and that's before Randy Johnson ... so, guess you can now up that to at least $110mil. Pick just about any two teams you want .. outside of Boston, NY, Baltimore and Los Angeles .. and their combined payroll doesn't reach the Yankees' payroll for just their pitching.

And, really, the Yankees and Boston ought to just throw away their (pathetic) minor league systems; they rarely have any talent in them anyway. And why bother when every other team in mlb is, in effect, your minor league system and you can buy whatever you want. The bottom line is, it's looong become an uneven playing field for at least 26 other teams in the majors. So, really, more than sour grapes, it's envy and its all about baseball having become the poorest run sport of all sports.

Really, the Skanks, Beantowners, Angels (west coast's answer to Mini-Steinbrenner) and Dodgers ought to form a league of their own (hey, that sounds like a good name for a movie). Oh, and FYI, it's evidently "sour grapes" for the majority of fans across the country, because, indeed, the majority of fans country-wide hate the Yankees ... and for good reason. But it does my heart good to see Gorgie Porgie having to pay out $77mil to Giambi over the next 4 years; not that he would notice it. The smartest move Schott has ever made, sitting back and watching old Gorgie Porgie bid against himself for the services of Balco Kid #2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By as_man on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 10:22 pm:

I guess dearie will say it is also sour grapes for A's fans to enjoy hearing about skankies going after old Tino to replace the Balco2 kid at 1B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:14 am:

I read somewhere that if you factor in RJ's contract for 2005, the amount of money the Yanks are throwing to the DBacks to help with Vazquez' contract, and the increased luxury tax they have to pay, the total bill for RJ next year runs around $30M, or more than the entire Devil Rays' payroll. Complete absurdity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:11 am:

I can't imagine being a Yankees fan. There has to be a hollowness to the victories (when they come - they haven't actually won a WS in a few years). It's really a victory of one man's wallet over the other owners. Players are interchangeable - if not for Jeter and Williams, it would be a totally faceless team with nothing really "Yankee" about them. On the other hand, there's a frustration in saying "we contend every year on a low payroll". I love watching young players develop and it's been fun to see what Billy Beane can do with less, but in the end I'm a fan of a baseball team, not a general manager, so I want a damn World Series victory!

Unfortunately, without any further constraints, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:19 am:

Dan, you make a good point. Yeh, we may not make it to postseason this year, though I think we'll be competitive. And, yeh, we can cry about not being able to keep our stars beyond their FA year, but what can we do about it? Thank goodness we have something other teams don't ... Billy Beane. Mistakes? Yeh, he makes them. Brilliant moves with limited $? Yeh, makes those too. Considering the shoestring budget this team is run on ... how many teams in mlb can say their team has been in the race for 5 consecutive years?

There's nothing we can do about Huddy, Mulder, Tejada. But I believe this team will be competitive once again ... and probably with more rookies on the club than any other team. Personally, I am excited about seeing these youngsters compete this season. Yeh, we may not reach postseason, but it is likely we will be watching youngsters grow up and contribute in an exciting way. The further good news is, Kotsay, Kendall and Hatteberg. These guys will show these youngsters how to play the game in the right way and will likely provide invaluable leadership. As I've said before ... even though they are still "babies" ... I already see the hard-nosed style of play in Crosby and Swisher.

And, finally, I think this team is going to surprise a lot of experts this year ... hey, even the A's fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:38 am:

Hey, if we are all wrong and these kids take us to a championship, the sale of the movie rights will let us buy back Huddy. And Zito can play himself and get that big Hollywood break he's been waiting for. Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:43 am:

kkdaz - I saw that episode of JAG. There's no future for Barry in Hollywood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:54 am:

Barry REALLY needs to stick to his day job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

Maybe Zito's celebrity girlfriend will make him a co-star on her show, "Charmed." However, she used to date Justin Timberlake, and he never appeared on the show....
As for Zito's acting, he's at least better than Joe Namath was in the "Brady Bunch" show-ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:47 am:

Hmm, I'm conjuring something up here...

What do you guys think about Zito and Phoebe doing a little Janet-Justin routine at halftime of this year's Super Bowl?

If the network censors won't let it on, I'd be willing to go to pay-per-view.

If that doesn't fly, can this website handle streaming video?

Lil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:28 pm:

FH, no, we don't have a streaming video server... but we can put video files that the client player can stream if it is sophisticated enough (like the Bud Selig video.)

http://www.oaklandfans.com/selig/interview.html

However, if we put too much video on the site and it becomes popular, it will put us over our limit for bandwith and the cost will be prohibitive.

You know how it is with these small market fan sites...yadda...yadda...yadda...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

Bummer. Perhaps Dearie can figure out a way to pay for it.

In the meantime, guess we can only imagine...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:47 pm:

meanwhile we can just continue with our California sour grapes and the great whine (intended)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.