Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Hey Bloggsy! UK Baseball

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Hey Bloggsy! UK Baseball
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By filthyslurve on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:17 am:

Guess I now know why Derby County's old place was named The Baseball Ground. From today's Guardian Football Q&A section:

"BASEBALL IN BRITAIN?

"In 1899 the UK Baseball champions were Nottingham Forest, while Spurs won it in 1906. Which other football teams have had baseball connections or are these team names coincidental?" asks Paul Smith.

The names are not coincidental. The National Baseball League of Great Britain and Ireland was founded in 1890. Four teams were involved, all with close links to association football clubs: Derby County, Preston North End, Aston Villa and Stoke City.

Baseball flourished particularly in the north-east with clubs in Middlesbrough, Darlington, Stockton and Thornaby. In 1933 a National Baseball Association was founded and professional leagues were formed in Lancashire and Yorkshire. The first professional games got under way in 1936, with the Yorkshire League made up of sides from Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Hull, Dewsbury, Wakefield and Scarborough. Games regularly attracted 5,000 spectators - and, on occasion, as many as 10,000."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:39 am:

I remember seeing some early black & white film of baseball in the UK. The quality of play was quite good, but they looked a bit queer running around the pitch in those tall fuzzy hats like the guards at Buckingham Palace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By filthyslurve on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:00 am:

Well, if they were in the British Army they probably were queer...

By the way, was Brady Anderson the first David Beckham?

Where's all the Aussies at to engage in some pom bashing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:55 am:

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Om hold up a second here. First, I was born in England, and I only moved to the US when I was 12. So quit with the Brit bashing (you know, calling us "Poms", not really offensive to me - because Aussies for some reason hate on us, even though they all came from us pretty much) - not appreciated, so naff off! Second, just because they were in the British Army, doesn't mean they were "queer" - and if you've got some beef with the British Army, lest you forget that it now serves bravely in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that not only did it kicks everyone's ass in Europe for about 6 centuries straight, it was also responsible for the development for the most expansive and powerful empire the world has ever know :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:35 pm:

Hey RFF I was born in England too and came to the US in 1975. They can shove their homophobic and xenophobic crap where the sun don't shine.
My hometown has a baseball team ... Liverpool Trojans :)
"http://www.liverpooltrojansbaseball.co.uk/"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 02:52 pm:

ok, sorry but I think this thread has to be closed down for obvious reasons.

sigh...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.