Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Juan Cruz

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Juan Cruz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:23 am:

FYI: Winter ball DR playoffs #s 6ip, 1ER, 3BB, 8Ks, 1.50ERA.

I also saw a blurb that Byrnes is lighting it up again during the playoffs, but no details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:38 am:

that's a lot of BB's ... but everything else looks mighty fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:10 pm:

Yeh, WK, I kind of thought so too. But in recent yrs. ... excepting for Foulke ... we've kinda gotten used to "rolaids" type relievers.

I saw him pitch a couple games for the Cubs, when he was a starter. He has great stuff, but he had command problems and I think he is a pretty temperamental guy, which seemed to get him in trouble. But as a reliever, he may be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

Well, evidently, those above #s come from one start and not relief appearances. He had one start where he went 6 innings, gave up 4 hits and the one run ... and, of course, the 3BBs. I'm hearing this from another party. My daily update did not specify; he got an 8-1 victory and was the winner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:00 pm:

Well, Byrnes is certainly impressed with Juan Cruz. His comments from DR:

"The guy's incredible. He's throwing 98 an hour, and he's just filthy. I swear, he's one of the most impressive guys I've seen down here. He's going to be a huge part of our team next year."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

Lord, please let it turn out that Billy took Atlanta and St. Louis to the proverbial cleaners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

I watched Cruz a bunch with the Cubs, and then some with the Braves. He was actually rated higher than Zambrano as they were coming up, but Zambrano and then Prior overtook him. With the Cubs, he would pitch a few dazzling innings and then fall apart for an inning and then get it together or get yanked. It happened over and over, until they finally traded him. I think all along he was destined for the pen, and he showed that last year - his stats rivaled Smoltz.

His fastball has nice movement, and his slider is real nasty. When he added the changeup, which drops, things started coming together for him. The Cubs were stupid for trading him, especially in light of their bullpen problems last year.

I think he's a great addition to the A's pen, he actually reminds me of Dotel a lil bit. And another thing - the kid is only 26 (well, dominican years) old...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.