Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

I know Yabu

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: I know Yabu
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gotoh00 on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 04:52 pm:

Just got news that the A's have signed Japanese free-agent pitcher Kenichi Yabu to a two year two-million dollar deal. I've seen him pitch as a starter first hand for the past 8 years and he is nothing to get too excited about. Is prone to injury and the long ball. Throws about 88 MPH at best with an average slider and forkball. His best years are far behind him so he'll probably be a middle reliever and an ocassional spot starter if he makes the team at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pokayoats on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:01 pm:

But think of the revenue man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:02 pm:

Two years? Wonderful. To steal a line from sactodavey ... I think Beane is smoking the crack. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:11 pm:

Oh please, ya they are really breaking the bank on this one! Anyways he hasn't be signed yet and the reports are one-year with a club option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

$1M/year for a veteran starter is pretty cheap these days. If the front office doesn't think Meyer will be quite ready then we needed to bring in someone anyway, and if the FA contracts for guys like Benson, Perez, Wright, Lowe, etc. are any indication, even below-average guys that have been linked to us like Estes and Sparks would have cost the same or probably more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pokayoats on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:22 pm:

I hope this happens actually. He has been pitching for a while so he can't be that bad, Billy Beane wants him so there is reason to have faith (Don't say Arthur Rhoades), and I've heard he has a funky delivery which has me interested already. It could be fun.

Go Yabu! (Does that sound too retarded?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:26 pm:

"Yabu" sounds like a killer whale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

"Are they booing me?"

"No, they are saying Yabuuuu, Yabuuu!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:31 pm:

Never heard of him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 01:51 am:

Do you...Yabu?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:01 am:

I like to switch the letters in his name around and call him: "BUYA"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:35 am:

I think the deal is more or less done - he just needs a physical. By the way, Yabu has the same agent as Zito.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getsp.pl5?sb20050110j1.htm

Here is the OaklandClubhouse article:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=318&p=2&c=339728

We got some guys with funky names this offseason. How do you like your yabuharikkalakikobocachica? And would you like that with a side order of fries?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:54 am:

Yabadabdububu!!

And a beer please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 09:05 am:

And one of that sexy Bocachica in the corner too. She's HOT - and she is totally making my Johnson very Harden. I better go to the bathroom and pop my Zitos - got to look good for the Bocachica.

I think I have had too Macha beer.... It makes me want to..... Harriikkkkaaaaaaaaala. (Coughs) Kiko! Kiko! Kiko!

I better Scutaro before they throw me out or wring my Rheinecker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:14 am:

VERY NICE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:11 pm:

Excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

Speaking of Macha and Yabu, how much Japanese does Macha speak? I assume he can speak some of the lanquage since he was over there ... what? ... as a coach or player ... for some period of time.

Also, evidently the Japanese sports reporters are saying the contract is a done deal subject to his physical (today?) being passed and supposedly the announcement will be made Wednesday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mulder4cyoung on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

I'll wait to hold judgement because I remember that last year, everyone said the same thing about Shingo Takatsu in Chicago - good track record, but old and could barely hit the upper 80s. Well, Takatsu had a damn good year, and ended up closing for the Sox, finishing with a 2 era. For 2 mil, its worth a gamble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

from the A's website (OK, kinda lame):

. Macha concluded his playing career in Japan, slugging 82 home runs with the Chunichi Dragons from 1982-85.

So I am assuming he knows enough Japanese to converse in baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

Macha finally has a player he can communicate with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

I'm not sure that's a good thang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:28 pm:

Maybe that has been the problem, the A's players
need to learn Japanese.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:50 pm:

hey at least all those Ichro fans will come and spend money and root for the A's. I can see it know all those signs I can't read camaras flashing.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 07:40 am:

It's official, Yabu is an Athletic. Whooppee. Also, the A's will be paying for an interpreter for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 08:20 am:

Oh boy - A Japanese gadget fest waiting to happen!

Just think of all the cool cameras, phones, etc that will be on display!

Oh wait.. Yabu plays for the A's! Thats right!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:29 am:

"Oh boy - A Japanese gadget fest waiting to happen!

Just think of all the cool cameras, phones, etc that will be on display!"

Dude, I don't know you personally, so I'm going to assume you don't mean anything offensive by that, but it certainly is. How come when we got Durazo, no one wrote, "Oh boy - a Mexican produce fest waiting to happen! Just think of all the cool oranges, strawberries and peanuts that will be on display from the freeway vendors!"

I'm not going to pretend I'm not more sensitive to this than most, since I am myself Asian, but let's try not to pass judgment on this guy until, I don't know, he actually throws a pitch. I'd actually rather take a flyer on this relative unknown than a journeyman pile of crap like Shawn Estes or Steve Sparks.

As for paying for an interpreter, that's pretty much standard for Japanese players, right? I assume for Latino players who don't speak English they just get someone else on the team who is bilingual?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:53 am:

"As for paying for an interpreter, that's pretty much standard for Japanese players, right???"

Right ... but just another cost for a team which doesn't think it can afford to keep Byrnes, apparently. All those little costs add up. But, hey, maybe he'll turn out to be as good as the guy the Sox brought in last year. I'm really hoping that Meyer makes this club and Yabu goes to the pen, where he may be more effective. I understand he has kind of a funky delivery, which might be a good thing.

And, as far as anybody dissing him because of his nationality ... well, sensitive or not ... I hardly think that is the intent of anyone here. I think most would LOVE to have Ichiro or Matsui. Myself, I'd love to have Hideki Matsui, that guy is clutch. Though he is not the greatest defender in the world. Bottom line though: I don't think any of the comments have a thing to do with his nationality, though I can only speak for myself. However, I can appreciate one's sensitivity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:21 pm:

According to AP/Yahoo!, Yadu taking his physical today, here is a the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-athletics-yabu&prov=ap&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:03 pm:

Yabu, where are you?

http://bedrock.deadsquid.com/img/other/people/gazoo/gazoo_words2.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 02:49 pm:

Is Yabu the first Japanese pitcher to play for the A's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:21 pm:

I don't know, but this singing has me really excited... well, not really.

Perhaps Schott asked for a Japanese player, so he can fill up the seats lost by all the Mulder, Hudson and Byrnes fans who won't be going, and replace them with paying members of the Japanese media? Do we get TV revenues from Japan now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:37 pm:

Yabu has his own website. Text is in Japanese.

http://k-yabu.net/start.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

DJ, how can you say none of these comments had anything to do with his nationality?

"Maybe that has been the problem, the A's players
need to learn Japanese."

"hey at least all those Ichro fans will come and spend money and root for the A's. I can see it know all those signs I can't read camaras flashing......."

"Oh boy - A Japanese gadget fest waiting to happen!"

Whatever, I don't think anyone was being malicious. The humor was just a little misplaced.

Anyhow, as for the cost of the interpretor, how much could that be? $50K? $100K? I agree, every dollar counts in this cheap-ass organization (I mean, we had to get money from KC of all places in the Dotel trade), but if you think of his deal as $1.1M rather than $1M, it's really not a huge difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 06:20 pm:

OK, I'll say something malicious:

His Japanese stats suck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:04 pm:

"Maybe that has been the problem, the A's players need to learn Japanese."

Get a grip big3, it just so happens the dude that wrote that is not only Asian but Japanese himself.

He wrote that in response to my statement about not being sure it was a good thing that Macha was able able to talk japanese.

And mentioning that when Ichiro comes to town the cameras and flashes get going is not disparaging at all. It is just the truth. What is wrong with saying that the japanese love cameras and are good photographers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:05 pm:

"DJ how can you say none of these comments had anything to do with nationality?"

You know, bigthree, you've put words into my mouth and feigned to know what I am thinking on more than one occasion. Recently, I've ignored a couple of your comments in trying to read something into what I said, which was not there, and moved on to another topic. And, by the way, sensitivity doesn't only go hand in glove with regard to nationality.

I SAID I didn't THINK the comments had anything to do with his nationality. (Oh, and excuse me, I guess I should have said I didn't think it had anything to do with racism.) Then I also went on to say, however, I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF. Granted, to one who is sensitive those remarks are not very funny. But my guess is, no malice was intended. But then I guess you'll have to ask those who made them. Oh, and gee, just pardon me for expressing an opinion ... or did you think that was racist too? What? Do you think my comment about hiring an interpreter was racist? Get real. Even though I didn't have to, I thought I clearly explained my intent following your comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:11 pm:

Big three,
I am Japanese American, and really like the fact
that the Japanese ballplayers have raised their
level of play to be able to play MLB. As Lil stated, I was responding to Lil's comment about
communicating with Macha, sort of tongue and cheek humor.

While racism exists, I have not seen any comments
to be about race. Most of the fans are just dismayed the A's spent money on a 36 year old
pitcher, that no one knows if he can actually
perform well enough to even make the 25 man
roster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

Oh, and by the way, I have had relationships with, friendships with, and close business relationships with Asians, African Americans and Hispanics, for longer than you have been on this earth. I have heard first hand from some I have been ... and am ... close to, the horror stories of racism and seen some of it while in their presence. I have NEVER discriminated against anyone because of nationality, race, religion in my entire life! But, hey, go ahead and continue to feign you know my thoughts while twisting what I've said. I suppose I will continue to have to set you straight. (sigh.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:24 pm:

Now let's all have ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:03 pm:

DJ (and everyone else) - please read this carefully:

I in no way thought your comments in this situation were at all biased. I did not quote anything you wrote. I quoted several other posts. I also do not think the comments were "racist", as you seem to assume that I do. I merely said the attempt at humor was misplaced and some of the comments were offensive.

You said something like, "I don't think any of the comments have anything to do with his NATIONALITY." Very clearly, every comment I quoted had everything to do with his nationality. So I asked how you could think otherwise. I never twisted any of your words; perhaps you should choose yours more carefully to avoid confusion. Again, I never said any of the comments were racist, particularly anything you said.

Furthermore, I never said I had a problem with your interpreter comment, only that I thought the cost of one was negligible. Now who's putting words in someone else's mouth?

DJ, I'm very happy you have friends of all ethnicities, as diversity of experience and opinion is important, and that you have "heard" first hand their stories of racism. I, on the other hand, have actually experienced it. So please don't try to lecture me on the subject.

Rocket, I apologize, as I took your quote out of context.

Lil, this comment you wrote ("What is wrong with saying that the japanese love cameras and are good photographers") is nothing more than a stereotype. While all stereotypes are somewhat based in truth, and I'm sure you meant it to be complimentary in nature, it's analogous to saying, "Blacks are good athletes."

YC, first two-topping mix-in at one of my brother's Coldstones is on me...or really, him.

And let me end by saying that I hold no ill will towards anyone on this board, particularly anyone who posted on this particular thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:32 pm:

big3, ...first I wasn't even the one who mentioned the cameras in the first place. But I stated the fact that when Ichiro comes to Oakland, you see all the cameras and flashes. Why is it stereotyping to say the Japanese fans have a habit to take pictures of their players?

So is it stereotyping to say Oakland fans do the wave? Or Atlanta fans do that stupid thing with their arms?

I'm stereotyping when I say brazilian soccer fans play music and the drums while they root for their team?

So that to you is steotyping? Give me a break.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with a statement of "blacks are good athletes". Nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

I consider it a generalization since there are fans who don't do the wave or don't take pictures, but it is NOT stereotyping like "blacks are good athletes".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

Lil, saying the Japanese fans like to take pictures of their players is not stereotyping, because you're right, that happens all the time with Ichiro, etc. (although probably not as much with lesser known guys like Takatsu, etc., but whatever).

However, your exact comment that "Japanese people love cameras and are good photographers" IS stereotyping, because you are assigning a characteristic to an entire race/ethnicity of people.

Perhaps you think it is just semantics. I see a line there. I think it is exactly the same as the statement "blacks are good athletes" for the reason I just stated above.

We're totally off track here. Let's go back to talking about how this guy's 86 MPH fastball will get blasted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:56 pm:

No, it is not sterotyping because there is a specific reason for why the Japanese take pictures. And it not because of their ethnic origin at all. It is because of their advanced technology in photography.

For example: when I went to Niagara falls, I brought my camera only to find out I had to hide it in order to protect it from the water. But the Japanese tourists all had water proof cameras and were having a ball taking pictures of the waterfall.

So in my opinion, Japanese tourists and fans take a love to take pictures, not because they are Japanese but because Japan has taken photography to a new technology level and made this technology affordable and available to their country residents.

And we are off track here...for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:02 pm:

My appoligies to those who were offended by my post. The "sterotype" aspect was blown far out of porportion.

For those of you the KNOW me and have issues with me, you know where to find me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:04 pm:

While I still personally don't completely agree with your explanation/distinction, I at least understand why you feel that way. Let's just call it a difference of opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:13 pm:

bIG 3,
The internet format lends itself to varios posters taking things wrong, out of context,
etc. so no problem. I never even thought about
sterootyping, nationality, etc. when I posted.
This thread is more about fans not understanding
the Yabu signing in light of the fact that the team decided go young and cheap, then sign a 36
year old question mark as a free agent. He just
happens to be from Japan. If the A's had signed
a 36 year old Mexican pitcher out of the Mexican
league, the comments would similar as to questioning the move, not where the player is
from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:05 am:

OK. Enough! Let us talk about Yabu's funky delivery - I am more interested in that. Does anyone have more details? (articles, etc...) Does he throw at an unusual arm angle? Have a strange wind-up? Possess an unusually high leg kick? Any photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:44 am:

I agree - let's move on. I didn't mean to cause such a lengthy digression.

With Yabu's funky delivery and I'm assuming junkball style (since his fastball tops out in the high 80's), if he's at all effective he'll be a nice complement to the hard throwers (Harden, Blanton and Haren).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:16 am:

Here is the AN take - I think it is very interesting. Basically, they are saying that Beane is experimenting with a Japanese pitcher, to see have Japanese stats translate to the MLB. If he can figure out a way to determine how well those stats translate, then it would allow him to get undervalued Japanese players. He's playing Moneyball again, in other words.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/2005/1/13/94710/5545

I was on the Yabu website looking at his pics - could not really discern the funky part of his delivery. Cannot wait to see this pitcher in action.

I am not worried about his lack of velocity. Zito averages 89mph, while Saarloos pitched well for us with a 88mph fastball. Chad Brad only throws 82mph and Moyer seldom tops 80mph. So long as Yabu has great control, I think he is going to be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:00 am:

I said I had HEARD (from other fans) he has a funky deliver, whether that is true or not ... just like all the rumors we keep hearing about players ... I have no idea. Maybe someone else, with more knowledge on the subject, commented on that issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:22 am:

Here's a good article on the signing. He also gets plane tickets (I assume to his homeland), housing, English lessons, which seems fair. Also, further in the article are comments from Beane on progress with arb-eligible players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-athletics-yabu&prov=ap&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:03 am:

The contract's also only for $750K this year. It's considered a $1M contract because he gets a $250K buyout if we don't exercise his option for 2006. That seems pretty reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:11 am:

I am also impressed he saw the success of other Japanese players on the west coast and wanted to get into a market place where a Japanese player was not already present and sees it as a good opportunity to come here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gotoh00 on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:15 am:

He has a pretty normal delivery and O.K. control. He pitches inside a lot to power hitters so he gives up the long ball a lot and hits a lot of batters as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

Isn't this guy kind of small potatoes for Arn Tellem to handle? $750K is like cab fare to that guy.

I though he was preoccupied these days with how many $1000 points Tracy McGrady was scoring and defending Burger Butt's shriveling career.

Oh well, maybe the airline tickets are for Tellem..kind of a barter deal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:39 pm:

wow, things have really changed around here. it used to be me that always started all the trouble :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 01:10 pm:

If Dan Meyer does not make the rotation, then we are looking at the most righty-heavy rotation we have ever had in years:

Zito LHP
Harden RHP
Blanton RHP
Yabu RHP
Haren RHP

That freaks me out a little, although it is better to have effective righties that lefties who suck (Redman, anyone?)

By the way, if Yabu is going to hit somebody, I hope he hits AJ Pierzynski. He's now back playing in the AL for the White Sox. If he does not bean him, I will bean the sucker myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

My gut tells me Blanton will have the hardest time making it to the bigs. This is based simply on his #s in AAA. He has the least impressive minor league stats. I think you could even see Duke or Cruz start at some point, though i agree they'd be better suited for the pen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

Duh,I meant "suceeding" in the bigs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 01:42 pm:

okp, I agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised to see Meyer pass Blanton. And if both guys make the rotation, it is nice to know we have 3 pitchers in the pen who can spot-start in Duke, Cruz and Yabu. And basically, that is what Beane says ... they need guys in the pen who can give more than one inning because of the young staff. And yet, unlike last year, we also have some power short relievers. And that's all without even thinking about Street and possibly, Garcia. I would be shocked if our pen is a weak area this year. It may be the strength of this club and with able reinforcements at Sacto, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:27 pm:

Very good point, deejay. Our pitching staff reminds me a bit of the 2002 Angels right now - the starting pitching is weaker, but we have a strong pen full of spot starters/long relievers who can pick up the slack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

On a totally superstitious note, here's a good sign: Yabu is pitching on #13 - a good number (13 = 1 + 3 = break down of 4, the number of death. 4 is pronounced as as "Si", which means "death", so according to certain older people from Singapore, any number that breaks down 4 is equals to breaking death down, eg 22, 13, 31).

On as less superstitious note, Yabu is toasting his signing with Shochiku-Bai - which is the cheap sake that I drank back in high school with my family whenever I made good grades or won a track meet.

On a totally non-superstitious note, the A's website look more festive than it has ever before.

I hope these are good omens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:49 pm:

Yeh, and I found out that the Japanese characters on his and his wife's kimonos spell "Oakland Athletics". One of the guys on fanhome posted several pictures from the conference. There's one of Yabu, in his A's jersey signing autographs for all the kids. And I must say, he has a VERY cute smile. Additionally, his favorite number 13 has always been my favorite/lucky number. More good omens. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:56 pm:

his favorite number 13

It sure worked well for Billy McMillon. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

Oakchick, why don't we just give him the number "88" and really hook him up with some good karma?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Yes! 88 is a good number - Pronounced "Fatt-Fatt" = "Money-Money".(Prosperity)

Octavio Dotel's 28 = "Yi-Fatt" = "Easy to make Money"

Byrnes's 22 = "Yi -Yi" = "Easy Easy, very Easy"

Mark Ellis's 14 = "Yatt Sei" = "Deader than Dead"...Hmmm not so good. Let's hope his shoulder holds up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.