Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Stone speaks - Says plans for a new ball park are likely dead!!??

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Stone speaks - Says plans for a new ball park are likely dead!!??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:32 am:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/13/BAGVGAPL1G1.DTL

The San Jose City Council voted last month to attempt to acquire the former Del Monte cannery site on Auzerais Avenue near Interstate 280 for a stadium. San Jose is negotiating with developer KB Homes, which holds an option on the land and has been seeking to develop more than 300 homes on part of the property.

OH PLEASE let them build homes!

Stone also declared that plans for a new A's ballpark in the East Bay were most likely dead. Anemic attendance and little broadcasting or corporate revenues guarantee the team will leave Oakland, he said.

Uh.. Has Stone ever been to a game in Oakland? Has he ever heard our fine broadcasting team?

Oakland City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente, however, sharply rejected suggestions that the A's were heading south.

"Absolutely not. I guarantee you that," De La Fuente, who is running for Oakland mayor in 2006, said Wednesday. "With all due respect to San Jose, I know they're trying to get a baseball franchise and trying to get the A's, but it's not in the cards."

Not to sure if the there is a "money back" policy on that guarantee!

But until the Giants' territorial rights are resolved, Reed said, "nobody is going to be serious about this.''

Ok..now we are talkin.. someone realizes the Gnats have not said yet to handing over the rights!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:06 am:

What's this about "anemic attendance"?
Unfortunatetly, I think we're going to start hearing more and more from people who want to rewrite history.
These are the same folks who take 1 game where the A's draw 10K and claim the A's "average only about 10,000 fans per game."

Nice try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:06 am:

I agree kevin. People remember that one game and claim that this is the norm.

I said it before but A's attendance is average for the American League, not the best but certainly not the worst.

It really makes me made how this is spun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:59 am:

I agree with both you guys, those same people make the A's attendance sound like the Expos attendance once was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

That is really the curse of ESPN's sportscenter
being the primary sports information source for
much of the nation. Once they put the low attendance spin on Oakland, it sticks and every
one, including some lazy newspaper writers, regurgitate their spin over and over and over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:07 pm:

Consider the source: Larry Stone. His epitaph will read: "Died trying to steal the A's from Oakland."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

Radnich didn't help either with the attendance crapola!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.