Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Stew says they are going to Vegas

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Stew says they are going to Vegas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

Well Well Well.

My old buddy Dave Stewart showed up at Kincaids tonight. We talked for about a hour and he had a lot to say. One thing he said was that Chavy is not happy with the trades. He told me not to count on Zito ever being good again and that Billy tried his best to trade him but no one wnated him. He said that Mulder and Hudson are damaged goods. He told me that he thinks Vegas will be getting a team and that if the A's don't build a new park they are gone(no surpise there).He is still bitter about not getting the GM job in Toronto but he now repesents 20 players and that keeps him real busy.

Anyway I told him about our web sight and he said hi to evrybody and to remind you that we kicked the Gaints ass in the World Series

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:59 pm:

Oh, so he's psychic now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:41 am:

I think we ALL know that if the A's don't get a new park, they are going somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:53 am:

I agree that the A's will be gone without a ballpark...

but he is bitter, not just because he didn't get the GM job in Toronto, but he feels he was not given enough respect in the A's organization post his retirement....and he didn't.

Stew is part of the A's legacy and gave us great years. As an A's fan, I have nothing but great memories and pride of what he did wearing the green and gold.

Stew is a great guy and I really wish him the best as an agent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 07:05 pm:

Stew is right about not getting enough respect but sometimes I wish he wouldn't air that.
Not sure he has much insight into whether the A's are staying or going....this board is probably a better resource than Stew. Glad he is doing well as an agent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

did he say what's wrong with Mulder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 01:32 am:

he said they over used him in the early part of the season.
And no he is not psychic just way more connected to baseball than any of us barring mabey LIL she knows a few people

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 09:43 am:

Is there anybody here who didn't point to Mulder's "overuse" as a likely reason for his failures last season? Along with that we also speculated on the possibility of injury. But I note that Stewart said Mulder and Hudson are "damaged goods". He thinks Mulder is "damaged goods" because he was overworked last season? Kevin is right; I doubt his insight is much greater than many on this board.

Blez, in his interview with BB, asked whether injuries played a role in the deals. Here was Beane's response: "Well it certainly was a positive for Barry." And, of course, he went on to point out that Barry is the only one who has never missed a start in his time here. So, we can all draw our own conclusions from that ... right or wrong.

As for his opinion on LV having a mlb team, well, Carney Lansford thought the A's could move to the southbay, too. In summary, anything is possible and everything is not. How is that for a statement of conflict? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 11:20 am:

I don't think anybody really has any doubt something was very wrong with Mulder.

He wasn't the only pitcher that was over-used.
Even Harden (with his shoulder problem was recklessly over-used). Pitching motions are very abnormal and damaging to muscles/cartilage/bone and injuries such as some of these pitchers have are bound to take a toll on the course of a season with their repetitive motions. It affects their mechanics and their deliveries and they can't maintain their performance on a long term season.

Speaking of damaged goods, remember Steve Karsay when he came to Okalnd from Toronto. He was damaged goods and he passed the medical checkup prior to the trade...and for years he has been battling full recovery.

So a player being damaged goods and breaking down in the course of a season is certainly not so out of ordinary.

PS: Barry has never missed a start...physically speaking, because mentally he missed quite a few last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

I thought Karsay came through the A's system?
I remember his first start when they called him up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:42 pm:

Nope, we got Karsay from Toronto. In fact, I believe he was in exchange for Rickey Henderson, was he not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:42 pm:

yup, Karsay was one of Rickey's trades... Oakland was on pace to losing 100 games (I think they lost 90+) in '93 and Alderson asked Rickey to wave his no trade clause to help out the team with a promisse he would bring Rickey back the following year as a free agent. Karsay came with a couple of other prospects and Rickey came back to Oaktown in '94.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 05:33 pm:

Oh that is right I forgot about that Rickey deal. Seemed like a great idea at the time and Karsay and Van Poppel were supposed to be a nice 1-2 punch for years to come. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

Karsay and Van Poppel... they were anything but a solid 1-2 punch that's for sure.

Karsay has at least became a decent enough reliver. ole Todd has well........ yeah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:10 am:

Yeh, but Karsay hasn't pitched in several seasons. Nice to know it's the Yankees paying his salary. $5mil per through this season ... w/a $6.5mil option in '06. Heck, that's almost as good as some of these retiring (or dismissed) CEOs get ... only Karsay hasn't had to do anything. Well, except attempted rehabs, I guess.
In effect, who knows whether or not he is/can be a decent reliever, anymore

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.