Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Bonds to miss Spring Training

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Bonds to miss Spring Training
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

He needs a few extra weeks for the "clear" to dissipate from his system before he can show up for any drug testing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-bonds&prov=ap&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

Would that be the clear or the cream?

If he was smart and thats a big IF, he would retire and just leave the world of baseball alone!

Ohwell.. lets just hope this affects his season too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

I find the timing of this arthroscopic surgery very suspicious. I'm sure bfriend is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

Yup, suspicious, indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 08:12 am:

well, he would be certainly avoiding all the media attention if he misses most of ST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:11 am:

Thank you Mr. Bonds for making Jason Giambi and the New York Yankees look like good and honest men.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:50 am:

Bonds now needs a second "surgery" on his knee. Maybe I wasn't too far off on my original post in January about him needing more time to clear his system...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-bondssurgery&prov=ap&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:13 pm:

Conspriacy theories aside I think this might finally be the year that Bonds hits the wall on his career. Reaching Aaron might not be as easy as some think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:58 pm:

I agree, eyleenn. I find the timing of his surgeries VERY suspicious. I find it ironic that he had the 2nd surgery on the scheduled date of the cong. hearings. Even though he was never asked to appear, one way to block out the reality.

I hope everybody was able to hear Bunning's statement before congress today. Especially the part where he talks about in his day players weren't hitting more HRs in their late 30's (like today) than in their late 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 06:17 pm:

yc you could be right.
Everyone has Bonds topping Aaron as a foregone conclusion. He may have to do it for LA/Anaheim if he is to break the record at all.
If he has a sub-par year and hits 35 this year that puts him at 738. Well then he only needs 18 the following year to get the record. So in reality he should be able to do it. I think the only thing stopping him would be a career ending injury. The reality is he should be DH'ing in the AL now if he wants to secure that record. But he will continue to play crappy D in LF for SF and not many will say anything about it during all the record chasing hoopla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:07 pm:

What if he is just trying to find a diplomatic way not to break Aaron's record? Makes sense, since he has nothing to gain by breaking it - people are going to be suspicious and jeer him vigorously, and apart from a few Giants' fans, everyone knows he acomplished what he did on the juice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:14 pm:

I found Bunning's comments very interesting. Clearly they were directed at Bonds. He said when he played, guys started losing their skills as they got older and didn't hit more HR's in their mid-e0's than in their mid-20's. He also said they didn't gain 40 lbs. of muscle in your mid-30's. "It's not natural," he said.

Yeah, we can only hope Bonds as figured out that he can make a quiet exit with injury as an excuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:24 pm:

bingo oakchick. I think you're right. at this stage bonds has nothing to gain in terms of mashing HRs. The only thing he has to play for is a WS. I do think he'll hang tough this year and be on his "A" game down the stretch. This gnats team looks pretty solid with the addition of benitez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:34 am:

I totally disagree. Bonds is too arrogant and wants that HR record (whether he admits it or not) too badly to simply go away. In fact, I envision him playing till he is 50 as a DH somewhere in an effort to break it. The guy will continue to cheat his way to it. Especially as long as mlb doesn't do blood testing for the designer roids which require it. As soon as mlb invokes the proper testing, he will suddenly retire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 09:07 am:

Well ARod will come along anyway in a few years and put to bed whatever HR record Bonds ends up with, as long as he stays healthy. And most people tend to think ARod is clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:09 am:

Anikan Skywalker was clean too until he succumbed to the Dark Side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:23 am:

i listened to a lot of the hearings. The thing is, the entire scandal will remain front and center, so long as Bonds chases Aaron's record.

Barry is many things, but stupid is not amongst them. I can easily see his immediate retirement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By calig on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:41 pm:

Without the "cream", Barry's knee will not heal as fast.

LOL, a great quip by bfriend,
"Anikan Skywalker was clean too until he succumbed to the Dark Side."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 07:58 pm:

The surgery may not be a cover up, but rather the result of long term steroid use. Muscle overdevelopment and use exceeds that which the joints can support. The result is frequent knee, ankle, elbow, and wrist problems. Barry may well spend most of the remainder of his contract on the DL. Not being on the active roster, he won't have to worry about getting tested, or breaking any more records.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 09:20 pm:

Knee injuries ended McGwire's career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:15 pm:

Not disputing BPF's claims about over developed muscles from steroid use causing injuries, because they do, but it's also normal for player's Bonds' age to have injury problems. Outside of 1999 Bonds has avoided any lengthy stays on the DL during his career. As I alluded to earlier Bonds is due to finally start to see a regression in his career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:00 am:

I don't see him (or his recliner) walking away from baseball until he has that record in hand.he will hitch on somewhere as a DH. He loves personal glory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:29 am:

MLB is a mafia, and if his home run hitting is the only thing keeping this story from getting buried...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:38 am:

Kinda off the topic ... but not too far. From Joe Roderick's notes this morning. "The A's have not lost a Cactus League game to the Giants since 2002." Maybe I'm the only one who didn't realize that? With a split squad today, something may give; but maybe not.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.