Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Marlins Reach Tenative Deal For New Stadium

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Marlins Reach Tenative Deal For New Stadium
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 10:31 am:

ESPN is reporting that the Marlins and local officials have reached an agreement in principal for a new stadium. That could eliminate a possible candidate for Vegas (if that really is a viable alternative). All the more reason to get behind the new Group that contacted Lil about helping them to get a new stadium for the A's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1984097

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 04:26 pm:

Blackmail and threats have worked once again! Las Vegas is the new (pre-Devil Ray) Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay/St. Pete used to be the city that teams would threaten to move to unless they got a new ballpark, Chicago White Sox and San Francisco Giants among them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:14 pm:

I think it's interesting that FL gov. Jeb Bush is hesitant to commit state money to the project, given how generous Texas was to his brother's team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:03 pm:

bfriend, your observations are right on target. kkdaz, dem was different times, fer sure.

The Marlins never really had a problem with the local politicos, but rather in trying to pry $30M out of the state coffers. This brings out an interesting point: I have heard nothing about any role the State Of Caleefornia might play in financing a shiny new A's ballpark.

Yeah, I know that the state is broke and everything, BUT should the A's leave town the Franchise Tax Board loses out big time. Athletes on visiting teams leave about $90M per year in state income taxes for the honor of playing in our fair state. I heard that it costs ARod over $13K for each game he plays in the Golden State. No A's in California, and part of that $90M per year goes away, too.

So Lil, Jen, and Chris, be sure Dick Spees & Co. ask the Governator to give back some of that tax revenue that the A's generate for the state. After all, its for a good cause to help the A's get some new digs, so all the rich boys who play the game continue to make their donations while visiting Oakland!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.