Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Thank you MLB.com for last place!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Thank you MLB.com for last place!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

MLB.com has predicted the A's will finish last with some caveats that with some luck they could be in the hunt. I love it. No pressure. I actually think that this kind of stuff is a motivator for the team--and we all know that Billy will not sit back and watch a losing effort. Remember the sending of Jeremy out of town.

I am looking forward to this season. It will be exciting--and unpredictable. Always the optimist, I predict no basement dwelling for this team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

oaklandcrazy has secrectly beern hired to promote the A's by schott himself.

yes we are alll excited that we lost 2 allstar pitchers for unproven talent , can't waite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 12:09 am:

Hey SactoD,

Why in the hell would Schott spend a dime on hiring anyone to promote the A's when he is leaving the franchise? Just because Oaklandcrazy is passionate about the team & you are negative does not mean you have to insult him. Heck, I'm jaded as well but I am curious to see what this young talent does. Possibly Wolff will let Beane spend a few million more when need be. Positive thoughts bro!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 12:17 am:

The A's won't be as bad as some outside the org thinks they maybe.

Kotsay
Kendall
Chavez
Durazo
Hatteburg
Crosby
Byrnes
Ginter

Then you got the other outfielder who's name I can't remember right now. This lineup looks more like the Angels and Marlins of the past 3 years then the Yanks or BoSox which were how the A's bats were like in terms of power hitters. Now they're more contact and hopefully they play more smallball now.

Harden and Zito looked great down the stretch last year and the A's will have a couple of great pitching prospects in the back 3 of the starting staff.

Add to that a much improved bullpen and hopefully Dotel becomes more reliable this year then he was last year.

The A's may not compete against the Angels but I still like them better than both the Rangers and Mariners who have improved this offseason but not enough to overtake the A's as the primiarly opponent for the Angels who unless absolutely fall apart next year will be odds out the favorite to win the AL West.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 12:28 am:

Listen washfan i was not picking on oakcrazy just being sarcastic with this "i'm excited" thing when the A's gutted the best pitching staff in baseball , its like they have some under a spell that no matter what they do we come out and say "i'm so excited about the season"

young talent is fun to watch but losing 2 great pitchers is nothing to be excited about , oaktown thinks we will still be good and we might but lineups do not win games pitching does and this is the big reason we got to 5 post seasons, there will be alot fo games this yr when we are out of it by the 6th inn and then many will realize what we had in Huddy and Mulder.\

yea i'm excited to when the A's are back 10 games by Aug.

we had a great nucleaous that has been destroyed there is nothing to be excited about period but we just roll along with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 12:44 am:

Actually that was 4 post season apperances and I'm glad it was not 5 because the Chowds would have thoroughly cleaned our clock. I too hate to see all-star pitchers leave but the writing was on the wall when after Swish's call up Billy mentioned to a reporter that we could be fielding up to 4 rookies next season. Does anyone recall that statement? The previous nucleus did not get it done 4 times in a row time to start over.

My only beef with Billy is that he wants to retain that doofus Macha. He should have been jetisoned from the team and Rick Peterson should still be our Pitching Coach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 01:58 am:

Did I pass on the "Anti-Sacto" reigns to WashFan??? hahaha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:11 am:

If you're focused on this year AT ALL, then you're missing the point.

Billy's an aggregate-loving man. The plan calls for a competitive team this year, but even more so in 06, 07, 08...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:17 am:

Yup, we lost two all-star pitchers. One was injured last year and couldn't make an appearance. The other one did and pitched well. Problem is, the all-star game was just about the last good game Mulder pitched for the year. Circumstances prevailed upon their seasons (Hudson's was just fine when he wasn't hurting) last year. And, yeh, they were our aces. But get over it!!! They're gone; we've all done our bitching and crying over the circumstances. Fact is, I prefer the way Beane handled their moving on, by getting some pretty good looking young players ... several with major league experience ... over getting prospects only in the draft, for a change.

And, sacto, read my lips. If both Hudson and Mulder were still here, you can take it to the bank that Durazo and quite possibly, Dotel wouldn't be. And our bullpen would still be a sorry mess; we probably would have been destined for no higher than 3rd place, anyway. Bottom line: With Hudson and Mulder, under the circumstances, chances are pretty good ... and likely ... this team would have won fewer games than last year, period. Pitch well they may have; but you still have to score runs and have a good bullpen to turn those performances into W's.

Yeh, we may win even fewer this year; we may finish in last place (I highly doubt it) and we may compete ... which I think we will ... and we may even get to postseason. But in any event, count me in as being EXCITED over watching this team this year, while salivating over some of our prospects (not the least of which is Barton)and their possibly trickling in by season's end or next season. I think the addition of Kendall and Ginter can only be positives, while improving our hurting offense. I may be one of the few, but I think this team has the possibility of becoming special in the very near future ... maybe even this year. And unless they fall flat on their faces (and if they do, I hope Macha gets a quick boot), I think it is going to be a fun and exciting season for the Green and Gold.

What ssblip says about '06, is true. But I happen to think our guys are going to surprise many doomsdayers this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:17 am:

Every year we go through these changes with the A's. Yeh, it is hard, but I like to be optimistic. If you are defeated before you start, what fun is that. Besides, that 20 game package I went for better provide me with some positive entertainment.

I was very sorry to lose Hudson, but less so about Mulder. I think he has some major problems right now--probably mental, but certainly affecting him physically. Billy has almost always been a great finder of talent, and I think a couple of the guys he got will be terrific.

Maybe we won't beat out the Angels and all their money (west coast Yankees), but I think we will have no trouble finishing ahead of Texas and Seattle.

I like that outsiders have already given up on us. We could be the be surprise of the season.

I am certainly not working for Schott. I am hoping that Wolff opens the pursestrings alittle and allows the A's to occasionally keep a star. It would be refreshing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:19 am:

Oh, and who cares about others' predictions of last place finishes, blah, blah. Beats WS champs predictions when our guys never even got out of the first round. Besides, it is just what our youngsters need ... less pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:11 am:

I certainly don't share mlb.com's pessimism. I think this team, even without Mulder and Hudson, will still be able to churn out 85 wins. We won't have as strong a starting staff, but the lack of Mecir and the addition of Kendall sure doesn't hurt. Crosby will have a full year under his belt, as will Harden. The bench should be deeper with Ellis healthy and the addition of Ginter.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this season and can't wait to see what 2006 and beyond hold. After all, things could be a lot worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:40 am:

Let's win one for the Ginter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:40 am:

Was Atlee Hammaker ever the same after the AS Game in Chicago where Lynn went yard? Hmmm, only difference is Mulder's meltdown did not start in the AS Game. Granted I love the kid, I waited in line for Mulder bobblehead years ago, I cringed at every pitch he threw, I wish they would have skipped a turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:51 am:

Remember last year, MLB.com picked the Mariners to finish second and picked the Rangers finished to finish because of no A-Rod and starting pitching, of course.

2004 Pre-Season MLB.com Picks
Anaheim
Seattle
Oakland
Texas

2004 Final AL West Standings
Anaheim
Oakland
Texas
Seattle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 07:06 pm:

Come on. Just because we didn't break through with Hudson and Mulder doesn't mean it was their fault. "We didn't go all the way with Hudson and Mulder; therefore, we should get rid of them."

It's kind of like the line from the Ionesco play (which, of course, springs instantly to mind to all OAFCers at the mention of this topic):

All cats die. Socrates is dead. Therefore, Socrates is a cat.

All of which is not to say that I don't share everybody else's doubts about 1) the durability of Huddy's small frame and 2) the significance of Mulder's wipeout last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 07:53 pm:

"...we had a great nucleaous that has been destroyed there is nothing to be excited about period but we just roll along with it."

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Here is an idea Sactowhiner, quit rooting for this team and PLEASE stop posting here--you probably bitched when they lost Giambi too--and where is he now?

I for one am looking forward to this season---if you are not then simply do the rest of us a favor and move on and root for the triple A team there in Sacramento--they probalby have a very nice RiverCat site for you to visit often and do your bitching.

bye bye

aren't YOU the one who wants them to move to Sacramento? Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

jose how old are you 12 13? you need to keep your greasy mouth shut boy!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 09:04 pm:

A true meeting of the minds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 09:39 pm:

lol yc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 09:43 pm:

WOW, nice comeback there sacto--didja come up with that all by yourself? I am surprised you didn't just say "Yo Mama" or "I am rubber you're glue..."

And if I could only have a mind like yc's...oh, the orders of fries and apple pies I could get sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

"Just because we didn't break through with Mulder and Hudson doesn't mean it was their fault."

Did someone say that 5th time? Specifically, I mean. The point is, even with Hudson and Mulder this season, the chances were slim ... esp given there would likely have been no Durazo signing and there surely wouldn't have been the pen we presently have (granted, yet to be proven). Fact is, we may not win without them; given the aforementioned factors, we likely wouldn't have won with them. These are the choices which have to be made when a team operates on a low budget. Like it or not, guess we should all be used to it by now. In the end ... which is now ... I can't argue with Beane's proactive measures. In the end ... which is the future ... that's when we'll really know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

SactoD,

I remember you used to tell Vinnie to keep his GREASY mouth shut and that's fine and all because he is Italian ethnic heritage but do you even know joseozzie's backround?

Moving on to more serious talk. It was not just the nucleus of Hudson & Mulder but it was the nucleus of the previous four years. Billy let Tejada walk, traded away Ramon, let Dye walk, tried to get rid of Zito & Byrnes. The bottom line is that Beane has started a new nucleus & we shall see if his new dealings come to fruition; however, with Cacaha at the on-field helm I'm not so sure.

BTW no disrespect to Vinnie or people of Italian ethnic heritage I was just playing into Sacto's greasy logic...Good night now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:36 pm:

i should figure jose since your nickanme is your fave persons Jose (i'm a fakeand a steriods user) Canseco and Ozzie (i'm a druged out mindless burnt outloser) osbourne, your name fits you well.

you and your hero's are so much alike.

P.S. your mommy is calling you for dinner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

c'mon guys, cut the crapola please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:55 pm:

deajay,

Billy B. said that the team was in stasis with Mulder and Hudson on the team, and he (Billy) felt that he needed to shake things up. I read that line as his saying that Hudson and Mulder were an obstacle to getting to the next level.

Needless to say, I don't buy that argument. We're talking about a pitcher with one of the best winning percentages ever and another pitcher who started last year's All-Star Game, for crying out loud.

Re affordability, I am a strong believer that starting pitching is the most valuable element of a ballclub. I know that this team can only afford maybe two $10+ million players. For God's sake, why in the world can't one of those players be a pitcher.

I'm willing to put my gripes aside, however, if what really happened is that Billy developed a strong conviction that Huddy and Mulder are headed for career wipeouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:56 pm:

Thanks wash but really I am not offended by this bigot. I have run into many many like him in my life. Lots of them in the southern states.

Hey Sacto, once again you make yourself look so very silly. The name is actually about Jose and his twin Ozzie-Not the droooooged (spelling?) out mindless burnt (?) out loser Osborne... Nice baseball knowlege there pal. Have you been following the A's long?

And as fake as you say he is, he still won the MVP back in '88 doing some mighty awesome things--bet you were rooting him on back then, weren't you?

are YOU really 41? ...do you have children? Now THAT is so very scary-

p.s. try spell check it can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:56 pm:

OK I am done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 09:15 am:

Billy can say he needed to shake things up, but
in reality he had two choices, lose them to FA
while hoping to make a run with an ever tightening
budget, or reload by trading them for the prospects who can possibly replace them in the
future. He chose the latter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 09:57 am:

5th Time, though Urban's book has not yet been released yet, one of the quotes therefrom has to do with Hudson's criticism of ownership and the fact he was getting tired of the Big Three being pressured to always carry the load. I paraphrase. In effect, Urban says no way would Huddy have re-upped with the A's. And I say, even if he was considering it, you really think he could have been signed for $10mil per? Closer to btw. $13-15mil, is reality.

Once again, it is still nice to get more than one or two draft choices for some of our talent, for a change. Especially since it was a foregone conclusion they weren't going to re-sign any of the Big Three ... including Zito, when his time comes. Yeh, pitching is muy important; but they still weren't going to re-sign these guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:03 pm:

Hell even Billy in a terse moment of expression after a playoff elimination loss (Twins) blurted out (Not verbatim) give me 20 million more & we would have advanced. Anyway here is to hoping that Rich Harden has the mental make up to become our staff ace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:13 pm:

I am a bigot to say your mouth is greasy when i don't even know what you look like or how ugly you are?

you must be the biggest dumb ass on this site Jose or hose head.

ok Lil i will stop but shut this 2 bit punk up .

as far as the Ozzie thing considering he was a nothing in baseball i did not consider you would be stupid enough to use a guy who did nothing in the Majors as a nickname , you must be closet junkie since your hero's are just like you, failurs.

what was pete roses kids name maybe Jose can change his MO to that kids name tooo.

before long JoseOzzie will switch to JoseGrieve in honor of his other all time favorite player .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 02:05 pm:

"Ozzie was nothing in baseball." Probably because he couldn't afford roids. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 03:08 pm:

If Urban says Huddy wouldn't have re-signed no matter how high the bid, and Urban says so on good authority, despite the roots Huddy put down in the Bay Area, then by all means it was better to trade Hudson now for solid prospects, instead of trading him later for draft picks.

I said Hudson would attract a $10+ million contract, not $10 million. I meant that I think he'll get a contract worth $15-18 million a year.

So far, when we have spent $10+ million on a player, it's been on a corner outfielder (Dye), a 3rd baseman (Chavez), and a catcher (Kendall). I'm saying that, in future, one of those mega contracts should go to a pitcher. We should definitely pony up that kind of money for Harden when the time comes, for instance.

Longer term, if Haren and Meyer turn out to be even better than Hudson and Mulder, I will dance the hula in a grass skirt in the LF bleachers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

I just remembered that in November and December Huddy and his agent were squawking in public about an ultimatum to management for a contract extension. Why would Huddy press for a contract extension if Huddy wouldn't agree to an extension under any circumstances? It don't make no sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 07:59 pm:

Hudson has given the same deadline to the Braves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 09:30 pm:

When Hudson gave his ultimatum to the A's, he was clear in that he did so because he did NOT want to be distracted during the season with ongoing negotiations. Not so unusual. In fact, most often Beane's stance has been the same with re to not wanting to negotiate during the season. Now that he has given the same ultimatum to the Braves, it makes his reasoning even more believable. Beyond that, I see nothing more to read into it. It was hardly an issue of whether he wanted to stay or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

Sorry Lil--- to be honest if you archive this it would not be a bad thing cuz my feelings have been really really hurt by Mr.. Alexander's hurtful comments---sniff sniff

"you must be closet junkie since your hero's are just like you, failurs"

F-A-I-L-U-R-S

fail yers

fale yurs

faal yuirs

Phalyuirs

failurs

huh...not sure what this word means but my search in the dictionary is comin' up empty

SPELL CHECK NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THIS SITE-

Hey Davey, at least THIS two bit punk graduated from the 4th grade.

a business owner huh--makes ya wonder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:25 pm:

If Hudson had decided to quit the A's, then he wouldn't have bothered to make public demands for an offer. Think about it. Why create discord in public? If Billy had made overtures during the '05 season, then Huddy could have simply told him to wait 'til after the season.

Don't you think it's possible that Urban has got it wrong about Huddy not wanting to stay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:10 pm:

LIl please put spell check on this site Jose is right my spelling sucks ,sorry people:(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:08 am:

joseozzie,

No, I'm not going to archive this thread. In fact,
I'm going to let it ride so that when I delete your logon I won't have to hear people feeling sorry for you and crying about me censuring the site.

This is not the first time you come in with the sole purpose of disrupting the ongoing discussion
by picking a silly fight with someone, including with me.

So please grow up sactodavie and joseozzie and show a little respect for the others here on this forum. People come here for their relaxation and fun and not to witness your idiocy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:13 am:

Don't you think it's possible that Urban has got it wrong about Huddy not wanting to stay?

I totally think it is very possible Urban might be wrong. He has certainly been wrong about other things, especially about the way he carried on re Rickey a few times back, showing a total lack of respect for one of the greatest players in A's history.

So...to me, he is suspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 09:33 am:

Well, I certainly don't disagree with the fact that Urban might be wrong ... that's for sure. In fact, I find I disagree with a lot of what he says. And I also find it interesting to note what he doesn't say. Watch closely, some of what he says completely conflicts previous comments. Or maybe that's the everchanging venue of the game itself?

On his Hudson comments, they came from an interview Blez (athleticsnation) did with him. We'll see what is ... and what isn't ... in his book next month.

I also note that on the couple occasions I've called him on something (via email) and/or questioned something, I've not gotten a response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 09:51 am:

I'll tell you how I feel about Urban's book...based on his what he has to say in his articles and writings, I'll pass.

I am however buying Jose's book just because by now I feel I have to read it to believe all the things people are saying he wrote about....I get the feeling it sounds more and more like the Rickey Henderson/Olerud story that never happened.
The book was still being edited and probably will have a lot of stuff cut that he may have said but will not pass by the editors due to liability problems, I really want to wait and see.

Those that say they want to wait to read the book before commenting are very wise and so far Mark and Pudge took that stand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:06 am:

I agree, lil. It is indeed quite possible some of those comments will be edited out of the book before its release. Evidently the "60 Minutes" interview will air this Sunday nite. It will be interesting to closely listen to what is said, then the next day to see whether all is (left) in the book.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.