Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A positive review

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A positive review
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:15 am:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=citadel-2_350435_304&prov=citadel&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

SactoD,

Your pessimistic thoughts please.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:19 pm:

Couldn't have said it better. WE ARE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR...RIGHT NOW!!! Our bullpen is STRONG!!! Our rotation will be sketchy but it will gel together. Zito will win 15-18...Harden will win close to 20 and expect the 3 rookies to be competitve just like the original BIG 3. They'll want to out pitch each other which will be very exciting. I like Kendall in the 5th spot a lot!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:32 pm:

I enjoyed this article

Let's get ready to rumble !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:38 pm:

To summarize:

Summary : In short (okay, not that short), I think the A's had a mighty fine off-season. They not only made improvements in the areas I detailed above, but they also got younger and deeper, which should only help them remain competitive in the future. In addition, by shedding the salaries of Hudson and Mulder, they were able to retain Durazo, Dotel and Byrnes, all of whom should have a major impact on the A's season this year.

What is most amazing about this off-season is that I've gone through all of these acquisitions and haven't even mentioned the last player the A's acquired this off-season: prospect Daric Barton , who may be the best player the A's picked up. The 2005 A's could still use a bona-find middle of the order righthanded hitter, but other than that, their off-season shopping list is pretty much complete.

Grade : A-

Very encouraging!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 02:09 pm:

Ahem. As I've said all along, with Hudson and Mulder we don't re-sign Durazo and probably not Dotel either. And for any bullpen changes/improvements ... well ... it would have been solely dependant upon whether any of our prospects could make the grade. We would likely have finished a lot more than one game out in '05. We still may, but the future is not far off ('06?) and it's looking good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 07:41 pm:

I've been saying alot of the same deajay, I think our A's are going to surprise some and be much more competitive than what people think.

I also think the team could be downright scary as soon as 2006.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:08 pm:

Absolutely agree, colt45. I hope the team is as excited (dumb statement, probably) as some of us fans are over this young club with a good veteran mix and in seeing what they can do this year.

For some reason ... as sad as it is in losing 2/3 of our BigThree ... I really haven't been this excited about the team in some time. I really, really think this might be one very exciting team. And I also think our bullpen is going to pick up the bootstraps of our young pitching staff more often than not.

The one fright about all of this: Macha and Young are going to have to be able to pull the right strings in that pen. This is going to be oh so important this season ... more so than in the past. But they have the horses, now let's hope they will know how to run them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:26 pm:

I'm actually not concerned about the bullpen when it comes to use as it has been set up to be used heavily. Duke, Cruz, and Yabu can all be used as long men when needed...and that will be often.

But on the Macha/Young front my main concern about this season, that I don't think anyone has brought up, is the use of Rich Harden. We all know Blanton, Meyer, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Haren (has thrown over 100 innings in the Majors) will all be on strict pitch counts early in the season. Then you have Zito who is not a model of efficiency by any stretch, even when he's pitching well. So that leaves Harden to be in the position many times to try to spare the bullpen. Will Macha lean on him too heavily to go that extra inning? It's easy to forget he'll only be 23 this year and still the youngest starting pitcher on the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:28 pm:

Well, let's try to remember the rookie learning curve and not get all bitter if we lose 17 out of 25 to start the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:01 am:

Well, the one good thing in Harden's case, is he is the one pitcher Young knows well and the two seemed to successfully work together before Harden even got here. Of course, Young does answer to Macha. Even so, it is rather apparent that Young was more successful in working with Harden than Peterson was, but of course, Young had worked with him before he got here. It seems ... on the surface anyway ... that an ongoing concern with Harden is his concentration level. Hopefully, he and Kendall will work well together.

Hopefully, the Mulder situation (overworked early) will be a model and they will be on the side of conservation with both Zito and Harden ... especially early on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:03 am:

"pessimistic thoughts "

well i do not want to always sound so negative but have been following baseballl so long i have seen many many trades where ON PAPER the young prospects look good only to have them not make it and out of baseballl in a few yrs.

Huddy like Canseco in 86 was the key to the rebuilding great run we had, when he got herein 99 he became our leader the one pitcher you could count on for stones when we needed a solid effort, he changed the A's , there aren't to many pitchers like him in baseball that have his desire and determination yes he could be damaged goods or he might just have a great 5 yr stretch we do not know.

Mulder was injury prone so i can understand his trade but he was one of the top 5 leftys in baseball and was so good he was boring he could be really hurt was just wore out by macha only time will tell but we won like 80% of the time he pitched when healthy.

that article is a raw raw!!!! article on UNPROVEN talent, yes some of the kids might pan out and we rebuild in 2 yrs or they flop, all i know is we lost 2 of the best 10 pitchers in baseball, pitchers that were PROVEN period with playoff experience for UNPROVEN young guys, i do not want to be negative but we had a nucleaous of a WS team that could have competed for 5 more yrs easy.

If the new guys bust were done!!!!!

what we needed the most is a new owner with a pocket book and it looks like Wolff is not the guy since i think he is behind the reduction in payroll, think about it by making schott make the trades it takes the heat off wolff and it is through a lame duck owner who is gone in 6 months,so wolff diverts media negativity by stipulating schott needs to reduce payroll before the big purchase because the team is more marketable with Mulder and Huddy, Wolff is another schott cheap ass biz man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:09 pm:

Instead of strutting around the Big 3, the A's will be scrappers lead by Byrnes, Kotsay, Chavez, Swisher and Kendall. Those guys will set the tone for the team, hustle guys who will throw themselves around. I think the team is essentially the same as last year, we were solid in the rotation, but that has dropped off this year, now we've improved our lineup and bullpen. Our defense has improved with Swisher and Byrnes flanking Kotsay. Barring injuries to front line guys we will compete for the division crown. I don't think Texas has improved enough, their staff is the same, one year older, Seattle has improved their offense, but their pitching is young also, if Madritsch can keep up his pace, they have a #2 guy. In an injury marred year, we were right there with the Angels. The Angels have improved themselves with Finley in center. But I think they'll miss Eckstein the clubhouse guy, especially when things aren't going well. KRod is taking over the closer role from an Anaheim institution. So Anaheim has questions, but not as great as the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 01:17 pm:

Sacto,

Let me top that off for you buddy, because once again the "glass is half-empty"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 01:23 pm:

Actually, raiderjohn, as far as scrappers go, I'd replace Chavez' name with Crosby's; the others I agree with.

Also, I don't feel Swisher (over Dye) improves our outfield defense. I think Swisher will be acceptable; but the only place he is likely to vie for a GG would be 1b, which is unlikely to happen. There is little doubt, however, that Thomas is an excellent defensive outfielder. How much he plays is yet to be written, but at the least, he will be a great 4th outfielder to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 04:56 pm:

Actually I'm hoping we have a lousy first half of 2005 so Macha is gone by the All-Star Break. I'm looking forward to 06', 07' etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 10:53 pm:

Actually, my understanding is that Macha is the one who has slowed down the extension process.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.