Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Remember the New Ballpark Model Pics?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Remember the New Ballpark Model Pics?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:28 am:

Every time I see those New Ballpark Model Pics, I just drool. The Uptown Pics are pure heaven. Those pics just fire up A's Fans to make that new ballpark a reality whenever they see them.

I don't if this link will work

http://www.oaklandfans.com/discus/messages/36/325.htm?1015892945

It would be great if we could post these New Ballpark Model pics right next to the proposed site pics in the New Ballpark Coverage Section!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:32 am:

The Link doesn't Work. The pics can be found in a topic called "ballpark" dated March 8, 2002 in the archives. I used the search feature.

Diamond lil would know which Model Pics I am refering to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 07:43 am:

I'll ask Phil to do that. But it may take awhile to load up for some puters. I'll try to post one of the pics here when I find it in files.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

lets see if this works:

http://www.oaklandfans.com/discus/messages/36/332.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

Cool model! What's that building out beyond centerfield? Bud Selig's permanent hospitality suite?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

...Raiders' headquarters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

...Jerry Brown's Presidential Library?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

If I'm not mistaken, that is the Fox Theatre, slated to be redeveloped along with the building of the new park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:42 pm:

Ah...Ok. So now I see the connection with the folks who want to save the Fox Theatre. It's a great idea, but....hmmm...won't the Fox Theatre be something of an eyesore out beyond centerfield? I mean, people complain about Mt. Davis now; it seems like a theater beyond the centerfield wall -- particular the back of a theater -- is hardly anyone's idea of "aesthetic".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:43 pm:

Sorry...final question: I'm not familiar with downtown Oakland...Where does BART run in relation to this site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

I don't think so Greg. The ballpark and the Fox would be integrated and harmonious and I don't think either the ballpark or the theater would detract from the other. There's where the architects have to do their job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

I think of the Fox Theatre wall being like the warehouse wall at Camden Yards--just adds to the old-time atmosphere.

The ballpark site is at 20th & Telegraph; the closest BART station is at 19th & Broadway--very close!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

it's really just one block. the name of the station is 19th Street, but there's an entrance on 20th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

Excellent......! Thanks for the info.

BTW, I would suggest for the nearest wall of the Fox Theatre facing the hitters: a giant mural of Dave Stewart's death stare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

I emailed a friend of mine (who is an A's fan, but doesn't frequent the OAFC site...unlike me, he actually works at his job most of the day) the picture of the ballpark model. Interestingly, here are his comments:

"My main problem with parks like this one is parking and traffic control. One of the nice things about the Oakland Coliseum is plenty of parking and easy access "in and out". I don't see a lot of parking around a downtown location, so one must mass transit to get there. I'll still go to a couple of games a year regardless of the stadium, but it probably won't be as nice as the coliseum."

Now, he lives up in the Sac region like I do, so he only makes it to games a couple times a year. So, his lack of attendance makes him part of the problem, I suppose. But this aside, his attitude is "What's the fuss? -- The Coliseum is fine."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 04:52 pm:

The new ballpark is 10+ minutes (Possibly a lot more if 880 is jammed) closer to Sacramento. I believe you can exit the freeway before 880.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

The ballpark will have plenty of city parking and very easy access to the freeways. It just won't be a sea of concrete around the ballpark like it is now.

I bet it takes longer to leave the present Coli parking lot when you have a full house than to access the freeway system near Telegraph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 07:25 pm:

Greg, park at El Cerrito Del Norte, right off 80 at Cutting Blvd., and take BART to 19th Street. There's lots of parking at East Bay BART stations, and I think a lot of people will park and ride in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 07:55 pm:

Maybe they can put seats on top of the fox like in Chicago across from wrigely the seats on the top of the apts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 09:33 pm:

I like that idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 11:31 pm:

consider the idea of trying to obtain HOK's report as a digitized document that you could link into on the front page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 01:10 am:

Thanks Diamond Lil, for posting one of those pics on this thread. Its true that it would be slow for some peoples computers to have all those pics load up at once together. We could have them seperated in series, one pic at a time, one series for the Uptown Pics and another series for the Waterfront Pics next to the Proposed Site Pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 07:16 am:

one of these pictures is my wallpaper on my pc and has been since it was first posted way back when... I drool everyday.
I think the Fox in CF is a great idea, just like the old building that is being incorporated into the new San Diego park.... I belive it is the left field wall there.
Also, some fo us need to leave our immeadiate vicintiy... there are plenty of ball parks without parking lots and more people visit them than the coliseum every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 02:18 am:

I don't think the Fox Theater will look anything like Mt. Davis. I am sure HOK architects will combine the 2 structures seamlessly. The Fox Theater is sort of tall and may have somewhat of a "tower effect." A new ballpark downtown maybe Fox Theater's last chance to being restored. Eighter way, the new ballpark will have some unique features only found at that ballpark and no other, it just HOK's style, a nice touch I might add.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 08:39 am:

I agree with athleticsfan. The Fox Theater and the balllpark will all be incorporated in the total landscapre of the area. Just like the ballpark also will not loom over the Fox Theater either. There will be a balance and that's where the architects come into the picture.

I see that entire area turned into a real vibrant entertainment center. You will have the theater, the ballpark, the ice rink and probably somebody will come in with a other sports related entertainment such as bowling and sports museum etc...the opportunity is there to make that area one of the most sports oriented centers in the Bay Area...

Me...I would love to have the money to set up a old style drugstore with a soda fountain at the back where fans and players would sit and drink their ice cream sodas...sigh...there I go dreaming back to Flatbush Ave again...never mind...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 09:05 am:

Brooklyn...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

In addition to the Fox theatre, the Paramount is also near-by. With these two theatres and the ball park, that area of downtown will be quit something. Night and days will be filled, even on the off season. The Fox could be used for staged events, while the Paramount remains for both the Ballet and Oakland Symphony. Hopefully resturants and diners with open up as well. Let's get Mayor Brown and every Oaklander behind this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:20 am:

I agree with Lil. That entire part of downtown Oakland can be the most vibrant entertainment area in the East Bay, perhaps, maybe all of the Bay Area.

With the restoration of the Fox Theater, the Civic Center just a few blocks away, the Paramount, new business whether they're sports bars or restaurants surrounding the new A's ballpark, and I think an important aspect not being talked about is Lake Merritt just a few blocks away. That area of Oakland can be a mecca for sports fans and people in general when they visit the Bay Area.

Think about the weekday and weekend afternoon games where fans and especially kids can visit Fairyland near Lake Merritt or go shopping; then go to a ballgame a few blocks away. Night games would be even better as downtown Oakland wouldn't be shut down like it is now after 6 p.m. People would just be getting to the ballpark after work and the downtown area would be a lively place. Not to mention the fact that when games are over, I would think that many of the players would hang out with fans in the bars and restaurants surrounding the ballpark. I think current A's players would love to hang out with fans after a ballgame. They just seem to be the type of ballplayers that would drink a few beers and chat with fans. Hudson himself even said that the current group of A's players would love to stay in Oakland but a new stadium is an important key in that ever happening. These players seem to be down to earth people and they have a great relationship with A's fans.

Even in the off season, football and basketball fans would love to be in that type of sports environment where bars and restaurants would be open to them. I know there a couple of very good sports venues to watch a game in the East Bay already but the amount of potential that Uptown area has to attract people on a daily basis is beyond what anybody can think of right now. I can only hope to imagine 4 years from now that I can go to downtown Oakland and watch an A's game in a new beautiful baseball only ballpark. Then chat with fellow A's fans and players about baseball in a sports bar acorss the street from the ballpark after the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 12:33 pm:

All excellent points, oaktownfan. Also, don't forget that the Warriors practice facility is right there on 10th St., just a few blocks from City Hall. I saw Warriors point guard Gilbert Arenas at the Pacific Brew Co. last September. As others have pointed out several times, the area could become a true sports & entertainment district, along with retail stores to join the Men's Wearhouse and the Gap which recently opened. Maybe an ESPN SportsZone could open near there, there'd be no shortage of athletes around. The potential is staggering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

One of the problem with baseball parks and football stadiums is that they have limited revenue generating uses outside of the sport they accommodate. Unlike an arena built for basketball or Hockey it can be used for concerts, circuses, wrestling matches, etc. These uses help arenas recover the cost to construct them even if the team doesnt sell out. We need to start brainstorming on how a ballpark can be used to generate funds aside from playing baseball. One concept I have is that the plaza level or bleachers could be accoustically designed and used as an amphitheater somewhat like Shoreline or the Concord pavillion. Anyone have any other ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 08:22 pm:

Good ides, Chris d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 08:24 pm:

Good idea, Chris d.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 10:03 pm:

ramjet... didn't Dave Matthews Band play at Pac Bell the last time they came through the Bay Area? I think if a place is an attraction concerts and what not will be encouraged naturally... Pac Bell is now going to be used for a college bowl game... I think some of the economic benefits that should be highlighted are those that affect the area around the park... look at the area around the park in San Francisco... it is night and day to when I worked there.... there are 3 million people that have come to that San Francisco, just under 2 million of which used to go to 3 com park which is isolated form San Francisco. All those people are know coming to the area around Pac Bell Park and the area is thriving because of it. The main benefit i see in Oakland having a stadium downtown is that currentl a huge amount of Oakland citizens spend their retail dollars in Eneryville, Walnut Creek, San Francisco... basically anywhere but Oakland, alot of that money could be brought to Oakland if there was an attraction that brought people there... that is what is key here.... a new "district" can be spurred by the ballpark... a "new" part of town that is attractive to retailers, eateries, bars, whatever, but it is the stadium that will provide the spark to bringing those dollars spent out of Oakland, back to Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 11:48 am:

Darth your preaching to the choir, I agree with you that it will be a positive force for the surrounding area. But even if Uptown is booming it still wont pay for the ballpark if ticket sales start to lag. What I am concerned about is that the ballpark have the capacity to be used in some other revenue generating way to help pay for it. That way the economic risk is lessened on the financiers be it the team, private investors, fans, the City and County or some combination of the five.

Now is the time to brainstorm concepts on other possible uses during the off season and during team road trips, thats all I'm suggesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

ramjet, the city officials and other city community leaders who went on the fact-finding ballpark tours will be presenting a full report of their finding and information to the City Council on the scheduled meeting of May 21st.

This issue you have brought up will be explored and discussed at that meating, for sure.

There are many things that a baseball only bakkpark can incorporate to make it a year-round revenue producer.

Restaurants and sports bars
museum expositions shows
business conferences and other meetings
concerts and shows which can be done throughout the offseason, i.e. dog and car shows etc...
weddings...graduations...
baseball fantasy camps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

How about incorporate a new home for the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame, and maybe a baseball history museum? It could be all about the PCL & Oakland Oaks...a nice addition to the old-time feel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 08:42 pm:

Cal is going to need a place to play football when the state gets around to retrofitting or demolishing and rebuilding Memorial Stadium, but who knows when that might be?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.