Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Dotel rumor

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Dotel rumor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubbies are targeting Doc Ock. No word that they've actually starting talking to us yet, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 03:57 pm:

That's been around for a couple of weeks. Can't see it happening unless Beane has a deal for another closer ready. Actually one of the rumors was a laughable one for Kyle Farnsworth who the Cubs just dumped to the Tigers for three nothing minor leaguers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 10:41 pm:

Old news. And yes, I heard the one that Farnsworth was one of the players they were "willing" to part with, last week ... and it is laughable. As yc pointed out, they managed to deal him to Detroit. Lot of teams are looking to fill their holes with something decent and figure the A's are willing to deal. But, hey, if we deal Dotel and/or Byrnes, we'd be pretty much kicking it in for this year, period, because neither could be replaced at the major league level for the same or less $.

I get the impression that since the A's dealt 2/3 of the BigThree, some of these teams figure we're in a complete rebuilding mode and willing to deal for other than major league (affordable, of course) replacements. They're not doing their homework, it seems. I think Byrnes might have been dealt if AZ was willing to part with Quentin or Jackson. I don't see where either the Cubs or Pirates can or will match either of those two prospects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:14 pm:

Dotel & Byrnes for Wood & Prior--OK!! What else do the Cubs have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 06:40 am:

Is Ugueth Urbina still on the market? I wouldn't mind picking him up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:30 am:

Seems to me, another team signed him this offseason, but don't recall which. Why would we need Urbina? It appears there aren't enough pen openings, as it is. If he was a lefty, I might agree.

In the meantime, he still doesn't have his mother back. Read somewhere that the perps are asking for $3mil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:39 am:

Urbina is still under contract with the Tigers. He supposedly will be at Spring Training and apparantly can't even talk about the status of his mother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By hubbard88 on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 09:37 am:

Don't be alarmed. As an Oakland transplant in Chicago who reads the Sun-times daily they throw stuff out like that every day. I think they just make stuff up. Hell as long as one of the young guys can close they can have Blowtel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:17 am:

From yesterday's fanfest.

"The Cubs might be interested in A's closer Ocatavio Dotel, but Beane told the audience, 'it's totally false' that the A's are willing to trade him ...."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

Beane followed that up with "if you recall, we went through this closer problem last year. Why would we want to go through it again when we have a closer?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseph_momma on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:26 pm:

I comletely agree with Hubbard...Dotel is NOT the answer at closer. Last year, every fifth hit he gave up was a homerun. Not surprisingly, he blew one out of every five save opportunities. Paying this guy $4+ million a year does not seem like a very smart moneyball move

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

Gee, maybe we can bring Rhodes back. ?????

Also, FYI, last year was the first year for Dotel in a closing role. Given this fact and his 36 saves (combined Astros/A's) I think he did a pretty good job. Two other things to remember ... he came to a new league midyear, unfamiliar with the hitters and he also pitched a goodly portion of his stint with us with elbow tendonitis.

As far as the younger pitchers being able to do the job. Hey, I am really high on Street; but the fact remains he and Garcia are still, in fact, prospects. Beane paid him the $4mil plus for a reason. Fact is, all considered, he was still one of the top closers in the game last year ... in his first year doing so, at that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.