Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's telecasts: Announcers

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's telecasts: Announcers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:25 am:

As requested, Greenwald gets his work schedule reduced in '05. Well, since they (obviously) won't fire him, that's the next best thing.

No. of scheduled telecasts by announcers.

Greenwald: 25
Roye: 30
Kuiper: 64

So, that's about 43 games not being televised ... or about 41 fewer than the Giants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 09:32 am:

That's Glen Kuiper I'm assuming?
I actually like him AND Roye. Greenwald is atrocious and I'm surprised he even wanted to come back. Must need the money.

What's the deal with the A's having 41 fewer than the Giants? For years it was always even, within a few games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

Yes, kevin, that is Glen Kuiper. I agree, I liked both him and Roye and both work with Fosse very well.

As for the # of tv games differential, I believe it was about the same last year. Guess it's all about who are the media darlings and who aren't. Certainly not about how you play the game ... on the field, that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

It was actually last year or 2003 when the Giants began having almost every game televised. In all seriousness the Giants get much better local t.v. ratings than the A's so that's definently part of the reason. Maybe the new ownership can do a better job of marketing the team and getting better t.v. and radio deals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 01:00 pm:

For TV and radio, it is all about the ratings,
nothing else really matters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:10 pm:

Yeh, yc. But the thing which bugged me about that, is soon after the Giants' deal was done, Crowley all but promised the A's would carry close to the same # of games when their (FSNBA & KICU) contracts were renewed the following (last) season. Course, like me, I'm sure many had major doubts of that ever happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:28 pm:

You mean KNBR/SBC/Barroids have resulted in better ratings for the Giants vs. A's?
Shocking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:52 pm:

Yup, guess there's truth to that old addage ... "everybody loves ... or hates ... a cheater." :)

Not that I feel sorry for Giambi, but was just reading how the wrath of fans at parks across the country will be reigning down on him. He told the truth; Bonds lied, Sheffield, et al lied. I would love to see fans in parks across the country (not SBC, of course) hold up signs saying "Cheater" when the Giants are in town and Barroids bats, while cheating his way toward Ruth's numbers and Aaron's record.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 04:04 pm:

Guess I was hoping Wolff might see how atrocious the A's broadcasting package is, and tear it up and start over. I won't go so far as to say the A's are the ugly stepchild of Bay Area sports (at least not here), but KICU is definitely the ugly stepchild of broadcast affiates.

They'd be better off putting 100% of the games on cable, even if they have to cut a shitty deal with FSN for the first couple of years. That would give them time to put their own network together, that they could turn around and sell to cable carriers from the Bay Area to Reno.

I'm also holding out hope they'll find a better slate of radio affiliates. To find an A's game outside KFRC's limited range in recent years, you've had to endure stations that only carried night games, or only carried day games, or only carried weekend games, or only carried games when they weren't carrying a Mexican soccer match or lesbian basketball game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:02 pm:

I agree with finleyshero. The A's local broadcast stations are third class.

KFRC is 5000 watts when you compare it to KNBR's 50000 watt superstation.

KTVU might be the biggest tv station in the bay area and it's based in freakin Oakland but you really wouldn't know it since they broadcast both the Niners and Giants. Add to that they have promos of the city of SF in their starting and ending intros and if you didn't know it, you'd think KTVU was based in SF and not Oakland.

KICU is the second rate ugly step sister of KTVU and the signal isn't as strong. I understand if the A's can't get broadcast on ABC, NBC, or the CBS affiliate here in the bay area because it would cut into their prime tv schedule and even though KTVU is a FOX station, what other than America Idol does FOX have on the weeknights that would outrage the bay area media viewing audience if they weren't shown.

That's why I think the A's should make a move towards either KRON, or one of the smaller but bigger network stations like UPN or WB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

Well, those tv contracts signed last year are for 5 years. I hardly think new ownership can do anything about that, before then.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.