Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

FanFest

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: FanFest
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:19 am:

I'd be interested in hearing "reviews" of FanFest from those who were there. The article on the A's website makes it sound really good. Was it better organized than in the past? Crowded?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:21 am:

apparentley no one was there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 03:51 am:

According to the Athletics official website there was 24,288 fans at the fan fest. Last year, wasn't it like 20,000? I think there was an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 08:35 am:

The joint was jumpin' though it was like going to a game without a game. The highlight of the day was the Q & A sessions with former A's stars, with Rickey Henderson and Dave Stewart among them. Diamond Lil asked if they would support a new ballpark in Oakland and the response was a resounding YES! While I know she is quite busy right now, I hope she will post her perspectives on the exchange.

The very large turnout was living proof that the A's are loved, supported, and very much belong in OAKLAND! Despite an alleged ugly ballpark, a miniscule payroll, a mayor that doesn't care, and an owner that has wanted to take the team out of Oakland from the day he took over, fans have continued to support the A's.

Just imagine what attendance and support would be like if the A's had a new ballpark in Oakland, had even an average payroll, had a mayor that cared, and had an owner committed to keeping the team in Oakland. Are you listening Mr. Wolff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:14 am:

Also, according to one of the online rags (Tribune?) this morning, there was a 40% increase over last year in purchase of advance tickets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:01 am:

When I saw that it would be impossible to talk to Rickey or Stew in person, I decided to pose the question at the Q&A session.

I asked them both if they were willing to give their assistance and support to the community and grass roots groups which were going to be active promoting and motivating the movement to turn the ballpark in Oakland a reality.

Stew was, as usual the most vocal and enthusiastic, saying that for sure we can count on his support. He said he is easy to get a hold of and is always ready to help out in any way he can.

Rickey by that time seemed tired and kind of bored (he had been giving autographs and taking pictures for hours prior to the Q&A) but also said that he would support keeping the A's in Oakland. He then went on to say that during the Haas ownership the ballpark was always filled with fans and that the players have always felt the fans in Oakland are great.

As for the rest of Fanfest, I went there on a mission to speak to Rickey and Stew, but I did notice the place was packed and much more spread out than in other years.

But it doesn't come close to the great atmosphere and fun when they help the Fanfest at JLS...but I guess they couldn't charge admission there and it cost them money instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:03 am:

In the meantime .... Giants had a record crowd for their fanfest ... estimated 7,000 fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:14 am:

Oh, but the mediots have to make comments like,
"too bad these 20K don't show up for games too"...

it doesn't matter, the esseff media will never support the presence of the A's in the Bay Area simply because of their nepotism and bunker mentally over the Giants. Many of these writers and radio guys grew up following the Giants and actually in many ways feel the A's success will hurt THEIR team which in a way it is same attitude Selig has taken from way back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:41 am:

Well, having a new park, SF has been filling their park because corporate sponsors have been handing out their tickets. One local columnist stated to me, last season that through his eyes, he was seeing a lot of empty seats and felt the numbers were being embellished. Although I think it's just a lot of no shows (who have tickets, having made advance commitments to the team). We'll see what the future holds over there ... especially if they don't revamp their team to where the majority of players don't yet qualify for AARP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

Well, I had a great time at fanfest. I attended the first Q&A session. Every one applauded the lady who asked if we were keeping Byrnes, but got very quiet when Billy asked if he should cancel the trade for Albert Pujols. Then said something like "I see you have your price." That wasn't funny, Billy. No new rumors. By the way, if all goes well, Chavez will be a papa in August.

I did the locker room tour. My little nephew got excited to see Zito's Sponge Bob shorts in his locker; I noticed the Byrnes has a little stuffed Licey Tiger in his locker.

My favorite Q&A was the last one with Swish, Hatte, Kotsay, Kendall and Byrnes. The guys were in good spirits and ganged up on the rookie, who took it in stride. Kendall fit in as though he had already worked with the other guys many times before. When asked what their hobbies were, Kotsay explained that it was hard to do anything with a 10 month old daughter. Kendall, who has a 1 year old, was next and his reply was, "I used to be cool, too."

And the lady who stood up and said she'd like to see the team moved to San Jose was roundly booed. Who invited her?

I hope the A's recorded these sessions and post them in the Fan Forum for us to watch. I just know that I am more than ready to see these guys play ball. Bring it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:34 pm:

I was there.. but did not surf to much through all the "Fans". I made one round under the east side club and alas found it as always.. commercial!

I did enjoy seeing the Negro League booth on the north side. They had a nice display of t-shirts and hats. I bought a cool all team hat!

Anyways.. sat in the sun, drank beers... watched q/a and missed Lil's question.. cause I had to make a bathroom run. darn it..

Got some sun on my face and by 2 was bored and went home!

BUT.. what I did notice was this:

A sign on the west side of the freeway... In and Out burger, Raiders store, Starbucks, Panda express and a sizeable building up. To me that was the highlight. I get a bit peeved thinking that someone would want to move the team out of the area just as it starts to clean up and begins to grow. Anyways.. I could go on a tangent.. but won't.

Not sure how many people were there... but all in all it was a warm sunny day to just relax and enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:55 pm:

Not only did the Giants get a mere 7k at their fanfest, but their admission and parking was also free! Shows you how much all these so called Giants fans that have emerged in recent years really care about their team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:57 pm:

The Giants get a ton of their fans from corporate tickets. That's what happens when you have a nice new ballpark that many consider to be the crown jewel of major league stadiums. The corporations buy up a ton of the season ticket packages and dole them out to their upper level employees, clients, etc. So a large portion of their nightly crowd are not fans who are "diehard", but rather go to a few games a year, and usually on someone else's dime. That's why you don't get a big turnout at an event like FanFest.

This is not to say that the Giants don't have their share of diehard fans because they certainly do, especially the holdovers from the Candlestick era. But the new park prices a lot of those fans out, or they are not able to get the same quality of seats that they used to get because of corporate sponsorship. So you just don't have the same level of fervent dedication that you used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:07 pm:

FanFest was very good! I'm very pleased the proceeds went to "Stop Autism Now", since my daughter is autistic.Iremember mentioning to Hudson's wife last year, how I wish they'd do something for autism! How I miss Hudson....
My daughter got photos taken with Melhuse,Yabu, and Kielty, and we said hello to Crosby and Byrnes in the shuttle passing by!
I heard Henderson responded to Canseco's book, saying he had no reason to lie....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:14 pm:

I believe I read the other day, that Mark Kotsay will be the team "chairman" for this worthy cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:21 pm:

Does Kotsay have a relative that's autistic, do you know?
There was a wonderful article by Dave Newhouse last week on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cvkevin on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 07:02 pm:

did anyone catch the documentary they were showing on that plasma tv in the east side club? it was about the 20 game streak back in 02 and was GREAT. does anyone have info on this video and if its available to purchase?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 07:30 pm:

cvkevin

I think the video was given out to season ticket holders after the 2002 season, I got one in the mail.

Nice to see the A's fans out there even with the hearbreaking offseason they had to endure with Hudson and Mulder getting traded.

The A's fans have always been more passionate about thier team then the Giant fans. Like many have pointed out, those dot com newcomer fans aren't the real Giant fans that used to go out at the stick when they were playing the Astros on a Tuesday night when it was 35 degrees and teh wind was blowing.

Plus, KNBR was plugging the hell out the SF fanfest and the A's rarely put out much publicity about it other than the few times I saw it in the Trib. Has anybody gone to both of them because it looks and sounds like the A's put out a better fanfest.

I'd say there are about the same # of hardcore Giant and A's fans around the bay area but SF has the fringe fans because of SBC. When the A's get a new park, hopefully not next to The Mac but near the downtown/JLS waterfront area; they'll get those 30-35k crowds too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 08:22 pm:

"hopefully not next to the Mac but near the downtown/JLS waterfront area; they'll get those 30-35k crowds too."

Oaktownfan, the A's will get large crowds regardless of if they play in a new stadium in the Coliseum Parking lot. As East Bay residents, we are already surronded by beautiful scenery, so we don't need a fancy park like SBC. All A's fans really want and need is a commited owner, and a promise that the team will stay in Oakland. Honestly, MANY A's fans really don't care much about the Coliseum. We just need to feel like we're getting a commitment and we have no problem showing up to games. There is one thing that we need to remember: The A's used to outdraw the Giants on a consistent basis.

For some odd reason, SOME people like to look down on a new Coliseum ballpark, but they seem to forget how beautiful the Oakland Hills will look in the distance. Not so long ago, we had one of the best ballparks in all of the Major Leauges, and we can again have one of the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 09:57 pm:

oaklandfasho, I agree with you. Except ... there is little doubt the A's deserve a baseball only facitility. I think most fans get as angry as I, when come August, we have to look down on the field torn up by football cleats and stands for the remainder of the season and beyond. It's not only an embarrassment to look at that field, but it is treacherous for the outfielders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

510, the only reason I say build it near the waterfront or downtown area is so it could spur more redevelopment around better areas of the city.

I know there's going to be sort of a "transit village" undernearth were the bart bridge is but still, I'd rather spend close to maybe 250-300 million by the city/county on a more deseriable place in Oakland. Now that list is strinking with uptown/Oak to 9th/Howard Terminal/Laney Sites all probably not reasonable sites to build a new A's park at.

Still, I know it's been said the past few months that the colisuem site is the only feasible site in Oakland to build a new park but I don't believe that. There has to be somewhere close to downtown or the waterfront, maybe not near JLS but around the estuary that can handle a park.

True, the coliseum used to be a great site with the hills in the background but the area around the park might just as important especially for development.

Maybe it's a pipedream now but I want a park where you can visit before and after the baseball season is over and where the Mac is now, can you even visit the colisuem area with the gates locked? The only other enterance I know of is that bart bridge behind Mt. Davis and I've never visited the coliseum on a Wednesday or Thursday when there's no game or even schedule at either the coliseum or arena.

That's why I want an park built near an urban/high density area of Oakland like SBC, PNC, Jacobs Field and the other 20+ new parks built in MLB.

I'd wait an extra year for a new park to be built if the new A's owners and the city can find a better and more "urban" setting for a new park.

If the new park gets built in the parking lot, fine, but I'd rather have my taxpayers money used to build a park in an area of the city where you can showcase the beauty around the park and the views you can get from within the stadium. Sure the hills will look nice behind the bleachers like it used to be with the old coliseum but what are you going to show other than that, the thousands of cars surrounding the new park.

At least near the waterfront, you could get a view of both the Oakland hills and the estuary and in the downtown area, you could get a view of the downtown high rises and all the restuarants and bars that would be built around the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:52 pm:

Well, it's unlikely it will be built with any of the taxpayers' money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:11 pm:

Oaktownfan, I agree with your ideas, love your ideas, and I appreciate and admire your optimisim. But one thing you must remember is that the Coliseum lot was not labeled "feasible" because of the area, but because of the cost. The sites you mentioned are way too costly and with the A's only commited to about $100 million and no usage of taxpayers money, I don't see how anywhere but the Coliseum is possible. I know when they did the study in 2001 they said that uptown was only like $385 million, but Uptown is gone now. While being optimistic you must also be real about the situation, and the reality is the Coliseum is the only way to go if we want to see the A's still playing in Oakland in 2030.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:32 am:

I was there with my 2y/o son, it was his first venture into the place where THE GODS OF BASEBALL play! Think about how many great players & HOFers that have come through this organization or have played with us long term, Stew for example.

Anyway, attended the 2:00 Q&A, the other guy's were actually jealous that Byrnsie was getting the majority of the questions. I can see though that when Byrnes is gone Swish will take over as the most colorfull character. I also noticed that Kendal's sense of humor was more of a dry wit style, he came off as a serious type. I can see why some would have labeled him a clubhouse malcontent in Pissberg. He also made some comments that had a very derogatory conotation about Pissberg. I was standing in the back right hand side up against the curtain. The Banjo Man was standing right next me, he is quite a chracter! He kept my son entertained. I also did the dugout tour and bumped into Macha outside the Baseball 101 Q&A. I could not bring myself to acknowledge him. All in all a good time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 12:06 pm:

"bumped into Macha outside the Baseball 101 Q&A"

Hopefully he was taking the class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 01:00 pm:

Jerry you crack me up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:46 pm:

Good one Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:40 am:

TJ Simers rips the Dodgers for their handling of
their dealing with CAN (Cure Autism Now) for their
fund raising 5k walk usually held at Dodger Stadium.

"http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers15feb15,1,2891620.column?coll=la-headlines-sports?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:42 pm:

I digress, anyways a friend of mine, scalps his season package into single games. He says he can command $200 a pop for Cubs, Dodgers games easily for $32 face tickets. don't know if a's tickets at the new park will get like that. I bet tourists come in plunk down the bucks and go to the next tourist trap. I think that helps the city overall, but you see already across from the stadium complex is a little gathering place being developed, there is too many corporate warehouses across from the Coliseum(land value cheap) I woudl guess a new baseball stadium will increase the immediate area. I would think the location will come down to the all mighty buck, certainly a better investment would be downtown were existing structures can be refurbished and leased as pubs, bars and restaurants, but will the city want to plunk down that initial cash outlay at the start without any guarantees. After the Raider fiasco, I doubt it, the new park will be in the Coliseum lot, as diehard baseball fans, build it we will come. You know I like this ballpark location discussion. I think as diehard baseball fans, the lot will be much better, I would gander ticket prices will be a little lower and we won't attract too many fringe fans. I like sitting down and talking a's baseball, rivercat youngsters, things around the league. I admit(shame on me) I went to one Giant game at SBC, 2 years ago when Dontrelle came into town, and it was like going to friggin Disneyland minus Mickey Mouse. The sights and sounds were great, but I went there to watch a baseball game, I caught myself watching people get off the Ferry, watching the left field glove and coke bottle, while the game was going on. Honestly if you are a true baseball fan, you find joy in going to the Coliseum to watch a damn baseball game, talking baseball and nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:10 am:

510, I agree, the other sites would cost too much money. But I'd still wait an extra year or two if one of the sites, maybe the Laney college will be avialable again or if another site should open. I know the Port of Oakland is a huge fianancial of Oakland but it takes a good chunck of Oakland's waterfront away from what it could be used as great waterfront development like a baseball park.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Oakland_California_20041129.jpg

Just look at that area of the waterfront that is used for the port.

I don't know if taxpayers here in Oakland wouldn't mind a little tax regarding alcohol or cigarette tax if they knew it would be used to help build a new park meaning the A's would stay. The Oakland citizens are one of the most taxed people around and a little 10-15 cent tax on a couple of items wouldn't be that much to ask.

raiderjohn, I agree that the bells and whistles of SBC are distracting from teh main part of going there which is the game on the field. But using a car analogy. The net is a Honda Civic, nothing wrong with driving it. SBC and these newer parks are like pimped out Mercedes that has tv screens, cd/dvd players, and a PS2 in it. Sure it could be distracting if all you want to do is drive somewhere but you gotta ask yourself if you wanna invite your friends to come with you on a trip. Which mode of transportation wuld you rather be in during that time, a Civic which is an adequate car or a Mercedes with all the extra features.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:13 am:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Oakland_California_20041129.jpg

Actually this is the url.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.