Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

FBI warned MLB re "S" but was ignored

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: FBI warned MLB re "S" but was ignored
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=577&e=1&u=/nm/20050215/sp_nm/mlb_steroids_dc

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - A federal agent says he warned baseball officials a decade ago that some of its players were using steroids, but the officials took no action, a New York newspaper reported on Tuesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

I thought Tony La Russa made an interesting point in his commentary in the Chronicle this weekend when he indicated that, as much as baseball officials should take a harder line regarding testing and disciplinary action, the players' union should stop resisting the officials' attempts to crack down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:57 pm:

And, of course, the mlb is flatly denying the FBI ever apprised them.

There may be no crying in baseball, but there is certainly a lot of lying.

And if they needed the FBI to tell them about their own dirty laundry, there's a lot of stupidity too. Fact is, they were well aware ... as well aware as the fact that lots of HRs = more ticket sales ... their bottom line ... at all costs.

Both mlb and the players union are equally guilty. Their (prior) stance has been inexcusable. Bud Selig + Don Fehr = an abomination to baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 05:08 pm:

Baseball's Blind Spot
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
11:58pm ET on ESPN

From 1989 to 2000, Major League Baseball encountered a power surge. Home runs per game increased by more than sixty percent, yet the use of steroids were rarely considered. The epic home run chase of 1998 saw Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire break the single season home run record, and McGwire admitting to taking androstenedione, a performance enhancing drug. Still, the allure of the home run chase overshadowed steroid suspicion. In 2002, ex-sluggers Jose Canseco and Ken Caminiti professed rampant steroid use in the game, raising suspicion about Barry Bonds' 73 home runs in 2001. Just months ago, Jason Giambi and Bonds reportedly testified to using steroids, and this week Canseco's tell all book is front page news. Now, the media is leaving no stone unturned in pursuing present and past steroid users. Tonight, Outside the Lines examines Major League Baseball's blind spot and why it took so long for the public to find out about steroid abuse in the game. Bob Ley hosts.

Guests include:
Steve Wilstein, AP Sports Columnist, reported that Mark McGwire took Andro in 1998

Buster Olney, ESPN the Magazine Senior Baseball Writer

Ron Kroichick, San Francisco Chronicle Sports Writer, covered the A's for the Sacramento Bee from 1990-94

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

The above is the topic of Outside the Lines Nightly tonight, 9-ish in the Bay Area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:16 pm:

Well, at least the dog show ended 14 minutes ago. But I won't say which was the Best In Show, for those who don't have satellite, as it's just starting on cable out here.

Think I'll check in on Outside the Lines. Thanks for the heads up, eyleenn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

deajay, I'm watching the dog show right now. You know I'm a dog person!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 09:23 am:

Well, I may be a cat person, but I love animals period and I usually watch all the dog shows. Not many cat shows on tv anymore. Guess cats are too smart to be trained to their owners' liking. :)

But there is nothing cuter than Co-co the Terrier or Jeffrey, the Pekingnese (I love the Toys and small terriers). The shorthair deserved best in show though, he was spectacular in his obedience, and beauty, I might add.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:47 pm:

Since my boy is border collie/Australian shepherd, I was pleased that those dogs came in 1st and 2nd in the herding group!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 10:29 am:

I watched the entire thing with Muffy. I manage to find a little of her in many breeds :) but she is still MY best in show. And I've been crying every time I think I'll be leaving her again for such a long time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.