Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Ramon Hernandez - Fearless Leader

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Ramon Hernandez - Fearless Leader
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

I always liked Ramon, but fearless at blocking the plate? Isn't that exactly what many of us criticized him for NOT doing?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1991902

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

I believe they are referring to his ability to block everything else ... namely errant pitches, at which he is outstanding. A's pitchers loved throwing to him ... especially with a runner on third where they didn't have to worry about errant in the dirt splitters, etc.

I do not think they are referring to his blocking runners off the plate. I know espn sometimes misses the mark, but if that is what they're referring to, well, the reporter should be fired. Fact is, Ramon is an excellent defensive catcher in all areas, excepting blocking runners off the plate. And, IMO, he still remains the best looking catcher in the game. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

I think they were referring to him blocking the plate because of their mention of his collision last year that caused injury.

I wrote a brief e-mail to the writer to let him know that as an A's fan I feel he is way off base.
This is the same Ramon that took key throws home so far in front of the plate that he couldn't even reach back to tag the runner let alone block the plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 03:33 pm:

DeaJay--and there is not a better pre-game stretcher in all of baseball than Ramon Hernandez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 04:06 pm:

I agree. This writer is almost as far off base as Ramon was whenever he took a throw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:18 pm:

Of course, a number of times Ramon was far off "base" ... the plate ... was because that was where the throw was. Not making excuses though, because even when it was there, he did seem to have difficulty completing the play. To be kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

He's no Jason Kendall! Hell, in my book he is no Damian Miller!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

Miller is a very good catcher, for sure. I'd still rather have Ramon behind the plate than him, as other than blocking runners at the plate, Ramon is a better defensive catcher than Miller. I haven't seen Kendall yet, so I won't offer an opinion there. But, remember ... especially when you're comparing Ramon and Miller ... one of the most important requirements of a catcher is his ability to work with the staff and call the game. Yes, $ was an issue (but a small part) with Miller. The A's ... both brass and pitchers ... were not at all happy with his game calling. And a number of complaints were that he rarely followed the game plan. While Miller was very good at blocking pitches, he was still no Ramon in that category, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 01:36 am:

I recall one time Rincon blocked the plate more effectively than Ramon. I agree Ramon worked well with the staff but he probably saw that Fosse vs Rose collision one too many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:11 am:

Ramon's too pretty to be a catcher anyway. You wouldn't want him to get run over by some Big Steroid Creature and something to happen to that face, or the hair, or that cute little tush, would you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:41 am:

I'm not gay so I would not know about that cute little tush?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:51 am:

Hey Washfan,

Did Rincon get spiked on that play? I think the game was against Tampa Bay. Ray Fosse made a joke about Ramon blocking plate skills at last year's FanFest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:00 pm:

You don't have to be gay to appreciate the man has a nice trasero.

...but it certainly helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:33 pm:

sigh...
and I'm not sighing because of Ramons cute trasero either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:51 pm:

I had to go to freetranslation.com to look up "trasero", although I have a pretty good idea what it means.

Anyway, on a different topic, I have posted something on Off-Field Matters about helping Blez from AN - he just had a new kid recently, and unfortunately also got retrenched last week. (Such are the times we live in - I could sure relate!)

Right now, he has decided to go full time as a blogger. Please show AN and Blez some support by buying a t-shirt from him. If anyone has any pull with the A's organization, please try to get him a writing job on the A's magazine. Blez is the bomb, and we should him some love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 09:41 pm:

Well, given (what seems to be) the good relationship he has with BB, maybe the A's have something for him. Anyway, that has been my thought as I read about his situation. And, gosh, "In Billy We Trust" being on the back of the t-shirts he's peddling, shouldn't hurt either. :) And it is likely I will buy one of shirts, too. They look pretty neat, besides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 04:54 pm:

Tyler Bleszinski is an enormously talented writer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him easily land a plum sportswriting job somewhere. He sure does a bang-up job for AN.

And his wife is hot, too. (Gratuitous reference.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

Got any pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 06:11 pm:

LOL
There was a picture of her on the site a couple of weeks ago. She had just given birth, and she still looked gorgeous. I'm jealous!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.