Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Runner up wants 88 MVP!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Runner up wants 88 MVP!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:16 am:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=576&ncid=755&e=8&u=/nm/20050217/sp_nm/mlb_steroids_dc

Former MVP Runner-Up Wants Canseco's Award

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - The man who finished second to Jose Canseco in voting for the 1988 American League most valuable player award says he should have the award now that Canseco is talking publicly about his steroid use.

"Where's my MVP?" former Boston Red Sox (news) outfielder Mike Greenwell told the Fort Myers, Florida, News-Press. "(Canseco's) an admitted steroid user. I was clean."

Canseco, in his book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big," and in interviews with CBS's "60 Minutes" news program, says he injected former home run king Mark McGwire and former team mates Jason Giambi, Raphael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez with steroids.

All have denied the accusations.

Boston Globe reporter Gorden Edes, a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America, said he did not believe the association would strip admitted steroid users of their awards.

"Like it or not, steroids were not a banned substance at that time in Major League Baseball," Edes told the News-Press.

Canseco told "60 Minutes Wednesday" that his steroid use was no secret to baseball officials.

"They knew what I was doing. They knew what the other baseball players were doing, if they were involved in taking steroids," Canseco said. "Owners knew it. Players Association knew it."

But Sandy Alderson, Major League Baseball's executive vice-president, said: "That's absolutely not true."

Asked on "60 Minutes Wednesday" did he think that Canseco was taking steroids, Alderson, the Oakland general manager when Canseco played there, said: "I had suspicions, over time, that he might be."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:20 am:

Somebody needs to remind Greenwell that he wasn't even the best player on his team that year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:24 pm:

I got a good chuckle after reading this, yes "I'm number 2, I"m number 2." The thing is, steroids was not illegal in 1988, when did it become illegal in baseball? 2000? No merit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 02:47 pm:

Greenwell's claim he came in second is probably based on the final voting which is usually announced.

I had to laugh at this story too. It might be fun to see Greenwell pursue this and open the can of worms of ALL MVPS this past generation. Think of the lawsuits by 2nd place players filing against the players who cheated and therefore cost the 2nd place player millions in future salaries. Of course, what about the players who may have come in 4th place in the MVP ballots and the 3 other guys ahead of him were all on the juice...shouldn't they get the trophy?

Maybe Selig could host an awards ceremony where the Juiced MVP hands over the "rightful" winner his throphy. It could be an annual special segment on the ESPYs

By the way, I'm confused with the whole "steroids were not illegal in 1988" thing. Wasn't it a controlled substance and therefore illegal to use in or out of baseball?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

As I understand it, they were not on "baseball's list of illegal substances", however they were considered illegal and a drug by law, were they not? Thus, they are illegal, in spite of what baseball may or may not have included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 03:39 pm:

Yes, all hormones, synthetic {steroids) or not are controlled substances requiring a medical prescription and a medical diagnosis to explain the need or medical reason for taking them.

The substances are not illegal, what becomes illegal is the act of taking a "controlled" substance without a prescription. This act is illegal in or out of baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 06:08 pm:

There is a fine point of distinction here. Lots of baseball players are guilty of breaking all kinds of laws all the time, but their records and awards are not taken away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

All I know, is the more of Canseco's book I read, the more I think he is a jerk ... more of a jerk than I already thought he was. And I'm talking about all the bullshit (far too much of it) aside from the steroids issue (much of which I believe). It is unbelievable how one person can blame absolutely everything on somebody else ... no, just about everybody else. And I'm sure all the ballplayers love him even more for all (except Roger Clemens) in general being branded as "sex fiends" (my description) on the road. In short, it may not be the steroids issue which really pisses the guys off. I don't think this guy has ever taken responsibility for anything in his life that went wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

Mike Greenwell is delusional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:50 am:

Mike Green "not" well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:13 am:

Yea, true, so if we open that can of worms, who knows what pitcher were on it, who's not to believe Greenwell wasn't on it either. It opens something that just is to widespread to review. Imagine all the bonuses some players lost in recent years due to this possibility? But in the end...it's all a winwin situation for baseball after the disastrous 94 strike, they got the fans back. Is that the only thing that matters now in this day, the almighty dollar, throw integrity out the window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:39 am:

Also, what kind of precedent would this set? If Greenwell gets the award due to Canseco's disqualification, do we next start changing the results of games due to the performance of "juiced players"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:53 pm:

Ratto has a good column on this very subject today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/18/SPGSEBDO351.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:16 am:

This is dumb because how can Greenwell prove he wasn't juiced in 88? I know, chances are he wasn't, especially considering his build, but you can't turn the clock back. I like Ratto's solution with the baseball encyclopedia and pen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:17 am:

This is dumb because how can Greenwell prove he wasn't juiced in 88?

I think Greenwell is *juiced* now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.