Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

anybody heard about this ?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: anybody heard about this ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 07:01 pm:

anybody heard of this ???

ByJamey Newberg NewbergReport.com

I'll just paraphrase, since you should read the account yourself in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram. T.R. Sullivan relates the story, and it's one of the best baseball notes I've ever read.
It happened in October, when Texas, despite coming out of nowhere to win 89 games, was relegated to playing only one brand of baseball late in the month: in the fall instructional league in Arizona. Righthander Thomas Diamond, the Rangers' top pick in June and a veteran of 46 professional innings, was facing an Oakland squad in a game in which they probably weren't even keeping score.
Diamond issued a leadoff walk. As the next hitter stepped in, Diamond settled into the stretch. The runner on first broke for second base. Caught off guard, Diamond stumbled and fell off the mound.
What you are about to read ought to be cut and pasted into your favorite word processing program, enlarged, put in bold letters, printed, maybe matted and framed, and stored somewhere safe, if not mounted on the wall.
The A's players on the bench, most of them surely lower-level minor leaguers, just like Diamond, with virtually no chance of breaking camp in April with the big league squad, just like Diamond, and many of whom will never get to the big leagues, unlike Diamond, took that opportunity, after a long, grueling 2004 season that was concluding with a stint at instructs, to break into "unrestrained laughter" upon seeing Diamond fall to the ground.
For the 300 or so of you who were at Rawlings with me on January 15 and met Diamond for the first time, recall how impressive and articulate and poised the kid was.
But also recall the Roger Clemens template that Diamond is clearly, and admittedly, modeling himself after.
Set to the tune of the A's players giggling at him, Diamond climbed to his feet, marched off the mound, and headed straight for the Oakland dugout, never taking his eyes off the group of players who will be lucky to be his division opponents one day.
Diamond said to the A's -- no, wait -- according to Sullivan's account, he *growled*:
"Don't you ever laugh at me again. Understand?"
Wait. Don't print it yet.
The laughter stopped.
Diamond once again took his place on the mound.
Throwing his first pitch since the leadoff walk, he dusted the number two hitter. Knocked him down with a fastball, up and in.
Diamond then struck out the side on nine straight pitches.
Said Diamond (with a smile, according to Sullivan): "My attitude on the mound is not pretty. I'm not a nice guy on the mound. If I'm working on something, I don't appreciate people making jokes. When I heard [the laughter], it triggered something inside. I wasn't going to stand there and take that stuff."

I don't think Texas likes us

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

Why didn't the runner go to third on the next pitch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 07:43 pm:

He was too busy laughing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:14 pm:

I've heard of this kid. Neil Diamond's son, isn't he?

http://www.moviepostershop.com/item_img/B/6/B-6096.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 02:17 pm:

Sounds like he's a hot head and may have one of the thinnest skins since Roger Clemens.

It could be that these other "low-level" A's players "many of whom will never get to the big leagues, unlike Diamond" know this player and loudly riduclued him because he's a jerk. Most of these guys are barely out of high school and anything goofy looking (like stumbing off the mound) is certainly going to get them going - especially if it's at the expense of some top draft pick prima donna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

...Besides this writer is probably jealous of the A's because we have the Big Three and the Rangers have crap...

It's funny though, I've had this weird reocurring dream that Billy Beane traded two of our aces away over the winter. Whew! am I glad that it was only a horrible dream...I can't wait for the season to start for real! Go Huddy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 07:06 pm:

I thought Neal's kid was Skeech on saved by the bell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 12:34 am:

I just ran across an issue of "Athletics Magazine" with the Three Aces on the cover and my heart sank.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.