Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

NHL cancels season, this is what basball should do

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: NHL cancels season, this is what basball should do
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:32 am:

well i am going to florida again and thought i would shake it up.

the NHL owners who were losing money stuck hard to their guns and it caused the cancelling of the season, soon the players will buckLE under pressure and give in to owners request.

question with many teams in baseball losing big money and like kevin macklachy saying "most owners cannot compete and the systme has to change" should owners press hard with new labor talks and shut the season down to change the system? i think so, i think the NHL is just the first league to do this and it is inevitable for baseball to have mother of all shut downs to correct the big money problems small markets have.

GO NHL OWNERS!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 08:33 am:

Many teams losing big money? Who are these teams? A's make a profit every year. Selig and the owners have been proven to be lying about their losses for years. Don't give me this bullshit that billionaires can't afford to own a baseball team. Baseball is in far better financial shape than the NHL is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:37 am:

Yeh, I'm also unaware that mlb teams are losing money. By the way, did Selig ever show the books to Congress? :)

As far as cancelling the season, I am a little more than concerned about it next year or when the current contract runs out in '06. So that might affect the '07 season rather than next year's. But I would think wiser heads would prevail, as the mood amongst fans is probably not too good to begin with and a strike would be unrecoverable for years to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:24 am:

The A's losing money. Yeah right. They make an operating profit every year and then the owner sells the team and makes a gain of like $50 million over his purchase price.

If that's losing money, then I will take it.

Regarding the NHL, the owners sign the contracts and then complain that they are losing money. Whose fault is this? Why dont the owners just refuse to sign high priced players. I am not talking colusion but look at what the A's have done with low priced players.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 12:15 pm:

Oaktowm...it's more like 100 million
bought the team for around 70 mill and will sell for what 180?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.