Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Byrnes Propaganda

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Byrnes Propaganda
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:33 pm:

It's been reported in the past that BB might use Peter Gammons for misinformation campaigns.
I think this may just be what's going on now with the latest Gammons statement about Byrnes possibly going to Pittsburg.

While the speculation runs rampant about potential Pirate talent coming to Oaktown in the trade, I think we should allow for the possibility that Beane through his shill, Gammons, has put this out there for the Mets benefit in an attempt to get NY to pull the trigger on a Cameron for Byrnes/Bradford swap.

Apparently the major hang up previously on the trade was the Mets refusal to pick up a portion of Cameron's salary. In addition, there's the no trade clause in the contract.

Regardless it seems to me that if the sun, moon, and stars can align, the better trade fit for the A's short term is Cameron's D and RH power bat as opposed to anything Pittsburg has to offer.

If Byrnesy has got to go I hope it results in the acquistion of Cameron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:17 am:

screw that, cameron is a shadow of the player he once was, byrnes is cheap and improving yearly, and we already have a cf! i think the rumors are there b/c other teams have seen what byrnes can do and are generally interested in him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 08:05 am:

Byrnes is going to have a HUGE year this season!!! I have that feeling. He kills lefty pitching and we need that. Trading Byrnes would be a huge mistake. Expect him to reach STAR status this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:42 am:

^ Now there's some propaganda for ya.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 11:14 am:

The latest comes from Pittsburgh Tribune Review, this morning.

"Pirates step up pursuit of Byrnes"

"It is believed the team has steped up its pursuit of Oakland Athletics left fielder Eric Byrnes and that the deal could be struck within the next week."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_305385.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:40 pm:

Prospects ??? Oh my goodness this almost sounds like another Lilly trade where he was making to much and we ended trading a good pitcher ( well maybe to much walks and no arm strenght ) for a prospect Kielty. How are Pitts minor league prospects ??? Hope they do not offer us Grieve back... by and by what happened to him ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:53 pm:

Grieve signed as a free agent with the Pirates so he can't be traded until, I believe, May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:08 am:

From Susan Slusser in the Chronicle Sunday morning:

Pittsburgh has continued to express great interest in outfielder Eric Byrnes, but the A's are still not inclined to trade him. There's a small chance it could happen closer to the end of spring if Charles Thomas or Bobby Kielty looks deserving of an everyday spot and if the Pirates come up with a fantastic offer. ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:16 am:

From this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Byrnes.

"They are also thought to be leery of giving up one of their most popular players in an off season in which they already dealt pitchers Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

amen to that dj

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:30 pm:

Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets passed on a three-team deal that would have sent Byrnes to the Mets, Cameron to the Astros, and Chris Burke to us (the Astros' heir apparent to Jeff Kent at 2B). Looks like we don't have the money to take Cameron ourselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

I would rather have Burke anyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

I meant, Burke rather than Cameron NOT than Byrnes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

Byrnes was on KNBR today. He likened his positon vis a vis the trade rumors to both that of the hot chick in high school that everyone wants and the old hag that the husband can't wait to get rid of.

For a moment there I thought you were being the husband. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:33 pm:

One of the papers reported this morning that Cameron refuses to waive his no-trade to Oakland. And I'm not so sure Beane would take him (at a bargain price, of course) even if he did waive it. Further, why would Beane take Cameron when he is making $4mil more than Byrnes? Not likely. In addition, supposedly in the Cameron,Burke, Byrnes deal, the Mets felt Byrnes was not enough and that's why it "fell through;" but they would should love to have Octavio Dotel. Another rumor has Detroit as a possible Cameron destination in exchange for Urbina. Oh, and the M's are being mentioned (along with the Backs).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:36 am:

The Beaver County Times (? and !) had an interesting article today. This actually reads like fair and balanced reporting and lists all of the permutations of the Byrnes to Pittsburgh rumors and why this deal will or will not be made.

Byrnes is my favorite player, but I can't wait until actual baseball is being played so that I have something solid in which to take an interest.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14006807&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:57 am:

Yes, cal, I read that article this morning. Also found interesting that Beane had tried to hire Littlefield (Pirates' GM) 5 years ago. as assistant GM; they are evidently pretty good friends and talk often.

You're right, John Perrotto did a good job on the piece.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.