Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Giants on pace to sell 3 million tickets

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Giants on pace to sell 3 million tickets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:27 am:

SAN FRANCISCO -- This week, the San Francisco Giants launched 2005 individual ticket sales by selling more than 84,000. Combined with season ticket sales already in place, the Giants have sold more than 2.4 million tickets to date for the 2005 campaign. With this number, the organization is well on its way to exceeding three million in attendance at SBC Park for a sixth straight season.

To put this in perspective, if the Giants reach the three million mark in attendance, they will become just the fourth Major League club since 1958, and only the second National League team, to reach the three million plateau in attendance for six straight seasons. Indeed, San Francisco is on pace to join a prestigious group that includes Baltimore (1995-2001 at Camden Yards), Cleveland (1996-2001 at Jacobs Field) and Colorado (1993 at Mile High Stadium and 1994-2001 at Coors Field).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

I give the Giants credit for continuing to fill the seats at their ballyard. I am sure they are more concerned about the post Bonds era ahead. How many of the 3 million are Giants fans and how many are just Bonds fans?

A friend of mine who regularly attends Giants games offers this tip: go to the restroom or the refreshment stand whenever Bonds is at the plate. No lines!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:32 pm:

and i care because

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

I give the Giants credit for protecting and promoting one of the greatest cheaters in the game.

Barry Bonds is a disgrace to baseball and so is the Giants organization and Bud Selig for protecting that cheater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:08 pm:

Yeh, and even more sickening ... he is projected to hit his (or should I say continue to cheat his way to) 715th HR against the A's at home.

And, I agree ... who cares. This is all about as exciting and the need to know, as his scheduled press conference Tuesday (see Ratto's column on espn). Whoopee....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

Well, does anyone know where the A's are as far as ticket sales for this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

Don't know about the A's, but see where the Nationals (who still don't have an owner) have sold 15,000 season tickets, to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:56 pm:

The fact that 3 million Bay Areans are drawn to see Puffy the Fraud is an encouragement to the powers that be in MLB that they don't need to be concerned with the integrity of the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

"Puffy the Fraud". :):):):):):):)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lightfoot on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:17 am:

Ballparkfrank, your friend gave good advice! Whenever I go to SBC for the A's/Giants games, I use the time that Bonds is at bat to get to the ladies' room and grab some snacks. It's amazing how the restrooms will go from huge lines to being completely deserted in a span of about 2 minutes. ....Hmm. I suppose that means that there IS one thing that's likeable about Bonds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:57 am:

I guess I have to ask....Who cares?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By shoelessjoe1980 on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:17 am:

well i care. why do we have to hate someone so much for steroids? we know we benefited from it in the past and we know it is part of the game. Every analysts has said it and i will repeat because i am a baseball coach....you still have to hit a baseball at 90+ MPH and hold when it is inches outside the plate. If he batted .200 i could understand but the guy has a phenomonal eye and no steroids can give that. Let SF have their day in the son and set aside your bias for a moment. This is bigger than rivalries. If Bonds was an Athletic they would be hating us and we would be loving Bonds. This is bigger than baseball. We have an oppertunity to see the most respected record in sports broken in our lifetime and possibly on our turf. Just love the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:52 am:

Well, excuse me, but you need to do a little background check ... Bonds has been royally hated since before steroids was even mentioned. Also, consider checking out what this country's foremost authority, (Professor) Charles Yesalis has to say about steroids. And I don't mean just today's quote in the CCTimes. He has several books on the subject and has been quoted many times.

And you may be a baseball coach ... but the fact remains, designer steroids do indeed increase power and hand/eye coordination. For a hitter like Bonds (who hardly came close to even 50 HRs in his prime) that means what were once warning track fly balls, now leave the park. The guy is a CHEATER, besides being a JERK and a LIAR. Pete Rose has nothing on him and what Rose did sullied the game of baseball less than Barroids has.

And I love it that MasterCard has backed away from a "celebration of Bonds' chase of the HR record." They are smart, because polls show the majority of fans are disgusted with this whole mess and Bonds is right at the top. The only exception of course, are the fans buried out in McCovey Cove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 11:27 am:

Bonds has been a JERK since his days in Pittsburgh. The best example was the argument with Jim Leyland during Spring Training of '91 or '92, which was seen on Sportcenter a lot. Some people in the media (Giants homers) call Bonds the greatest players of all-time, but being a CHEATER, and not able to throw out a cripple Sid Beam in 1992 NLCS dismiss this claim. Back to the attendance, A's average 2 mil. while San Francisco at the pace for 3 mil., but in Southern California clubs will always outdraw us for whatever reason from playoffs teams to new ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:24 pm:

"The only exception of course, are the fans buried out in McCovey Cove"

...and even then, they are only out there to cash in on some "historic" ball payday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:45 pm:

what scares me the most is that folks who are actually coaching kids are so clueless about what steroids can do to a person...

as for loving the game...there's all kinds of love for sure, but cheating is not and never will be part of any love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:12 pm:

What I meant was the giants could draw 25 million fans...I do not care...My team has OAKLAND on their jerseys...That is who we should care about!!!
Besides, the A's one of their biggest pre-seaon sales days at fan fest!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:17 pm:

Lil, I just came to back to comment on that. You are so right.

So steroids "are part of the game"? Geez, I hope there aren't many more baseball coaches (or coaches of any sport) out there with such a cavalier attitude and lack of respect for not only the health of professional athletes (even if they are stupid) and even more importantly, lack of concern for the youth.

It is sad to think that it is very likely some baseball coach in Petaluma may have had a very similar (cavalier) attitude. Talk to the parents of one his athletes. You know, the young man who went on to USC ... an aspiring major league player. The young man who subsequently committed suicide, apparently the result of roid rage/depression. Oh, and you probably think that Giambi's pituitary gland tumor was just one of things, not connected to roids? Lyle Alzado? Then there is Caminiti ... yeh he was into hard drugs too; but who's to say that roids weren't a contributor?

With attitudes such as this "baseball coach" poster seems to have, who needs Jose Canseco to tell the youth of America and any others foolish enough to listen how steroids are just fine. Just contact the Godfather of Steroids and he'll teach you how to do it right. The thing I keep thinking, is Canseco is only 40 ... he still has no clue as to whether his future health will be affected or not ... for all we know, it already has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:31 pm:

The drugs have definitely affected Canseco's brain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:52 pm:

"We have an oppertunity to see the most respected record in sports broken in our lifetime and possibly on our turf. Just love the game."

I saw it broken the last time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:31 pm:

Yeh, I saw Hank Aaron break it ... no steroids, either. Except for steroids, no way Bonds even passes Frank Robinson, let alone Mays, et al.

What a joke his press conference was. What I saw of it, he spent a great deal of time calling out "liar, liar" to the media. It does indeed take one to know one. The media can certainly be guilty of embellishing, but out and out lying? I think most realize that if they do, their job is gone. Conversely, Barroids won't lose his for lying. He is the supreme liar (besides being a cheat) and he uses his yelling (at press conferences) and intimidation in tring to punctuate what he professes to be the truth. And of course ... no suprise ... he pulled out the race card. And of course, he "doesn't care about records". Another lie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:56 pm:

Remember the old saying: "The best defense is a good offense." BB went aggressively on the offensive and the lame reporters were too wimpy to fight back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

Barry's pulling out the race card is just plain stupid. He mentioned being compared with Babe Ruth. Doesn't he know that Aaron broke Ruth's record years ago? ...and that Henry Aaron is a Black man? ... and that no one has a problem with Henry Aaron, only with Barry Bonds?

It is going to be a long season for Barry Bonds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 08:56 am:

Barry has the arrogance of a man that knows he's got an ace up his sleeve while playing poker with the blind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:32 pm:

I like that one Lil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:52 pm:

Bonds stands at the plate in full body armor with a strike zone the size of a tea cup waiting to smack the criple pitch. Add a little juice and you get HR records.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 10:42 pm:

Right on, mroakland; can't believe I forgot to mention his (usual) piece of furniture on his right arm. I'm beginning to think Hudson was one of a handful who had the guts to throw inside. Can't wait to see a Pedro/Barroids matchup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

It's amazing how the restrooms will go from huge lines to being completely deserted in a span of about 2 minutes. ....

Giants fans really know how to hold-in their body waste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:06 pm:

you still have to hit a baseball at 90+ MPH and hold when it is inches outside the plate. If he batted .200 i could understand but the guy has a phenomonal eye and no steroids can give that.

All the more reason to detest Bonds. He has more and greater natural abilities than 99.9% of the other players in MLB, and yet he STILL feels compelled to cheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

Everyone seems to completely overlook the HGH factor. HGH has been PROVEN to improve hand-eye coordination and can't be detected in a urine test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 05:57 pm:

Yes Eyleenn which is why I have been saying that there's no reason for anyone to expect the players to be off HGH. Many are probably still taking steroids with some new masking agents. I'm sure the testing has spooked some players into quitting the drugs but it will definitely not eliminate the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 08:51 pm:

Kevin, tell it to "Salsero"! :)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.