Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Reggie says "the plan" is to move the A's

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Reggie says "the plan" is to move the A's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:36 pm:

He was interviewed by Brian Murphy on KNBR this morning and the interview is being repeated now on the afternoon show. Reggie is convinced that all the talk about a new stadium in Oakland is a smokescreen, that the plan is to move the team to Vegas and that's why he was "excluded" from his attempt to buy the team. He sounds very bitter, but he claims that he has been involved with the workings of the team for the last 11 months and that he "knows more than anyone" about the deal with Wolff, etc. He characterized the trades of Hudson and Mulder as the "dismantling" of the team in preparation for the sale and move. He described the situation as "grotesque." Unfortunately, Murphy brought this subject up right at the end of the interview, so he had to cut Reggie off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfromoz on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:47 pm:

If the A's move out of town, will everyone here still support the franchise or turn away from baseball?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:59 pm:

It's too long of a commute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:00 am:

The A's will always be my franchise. Vegas or Oakland...SAC or SJ...I can't see myself supporting any other team...I've tried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:10 am:

Me personally, I would turn away from baseball. I tried rooting for the Raiders when they went south (literally and figuratively). It wasn't close to being the same. My feelings would probably be harsher if the A's moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 11:49 am:

I think I would still want the A's to do well, but I wouldn't follow them or baseball closely. Just think of all the time and money I could save...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

Reggie is full shiit!

The A's are here to stay. And Oakland WILL build a new park for them. I don't think Wolff is another Schott in that he would use a smoke screen to hide his intentions. He has said that he is giving the city and county one year to get a deal going and then said if nothing comes of it, then he might have to look to alternatives. So F--- Reggie.

Yeah, I'm still bitter from when that SOB didn't give me his autograph when I saw him at the Oakland airport. So he can go to hell.

Also, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing all this shit about the A's leaving Oakland. I've heard this before in 1980 and I heard again when that miserable bastard schott took over. So give me a break. Think positively. The A's will stay in Oakland. The A's will stay in Oakland. THE A'S WILL STAY IN OAKLAND!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:13 pm:

I would support them regardless.

I live in Missouri now.. so it's not like I'm getting to any games anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:31 am:

That would be a tough one for me.

I want them to stay in Oakland, but if they moved to San Jose or Sacramento, my affection for them would remain the same. But if they move to Vegas or anywhere outside NorCal, I will become a Padres fan, since I live in San Diego now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 08:50 am:

It would be deja vu for me. As a youngster, my beloved Philadelphia A's left town for some place called Kansas City. While I was angry at first, my love for the game drew me to the other team in town, the Phillies.

While in college, a streak of masochism drew me back to following the truly terrible K.C. A's. They were referred to as a Yankee farm club, given the number of one-sided trades they made with New York. It was fate (I think) that reunited me with the A's when I was transferred to the Bay Area in the mid seventies (yeah, they were terrible then, too).

So, as a season ticket holder who rarely misses a game, I do not want lightning to strike twice. If it does, I believe the baseball junkie in me would eventually lure me across the Bay to the Phone Booth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:00 am:

I have to say it would be deja vu for me too...but me?...root for the giiiints? I'd rather die and go straight to baseball hell...

I grew up loving the Brooklyn Dodgers and when they left town I didn't go or look at any baseball for many years...to this day I get a pain in my heart when I see that team from LA that has NOTHING to do with the team I loved so much...

I fell in love with the A's when I first set eyes on Rickey and that scrappy Billy Martin I had last seen play in 1956 for the Yankees I hated so much... the year Robinson last played baseball and the year after the Dodgers had last won the WS for Brooklyn...the rest is history...gone...

Rickey made me fall in love with baseball again but now I know the baseball I fell in love with no longer exists...

What made me a baseball fan is no longer there and I feel losing the Oakland A's would just put a closure on something I feel is gone for quite some time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:57 am:

How utterly depressing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:31 am:

Hey, Lil, as much as a crushing blow your losing the Dodgers was to you, you still came back to the game. You said it was Rickey and Billy that brought you back, but how did you know anything about them if you "didn't go or look at any baseball"? What if the next Rickey comes along someday in a Giants uniform?

I get the feeling that you too are a baseball junkie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

I would just as soon have my toncils ripped out my a$$ then root for the Giants!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

Hey Frank, I've been a baseball junkie all my life but the caretakers of baseball and the modern day players have really done a great job in my detox from the game.

Bubba, I'm with you...even if they would clone Rickey, Jackie Robinson and Duke Snider to play on their team, I wouldn't root for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:21 pm:

I'm not sure how this latest information fits with Reggie's previous comments, but does anyone think he wasn't screwed over by Selig and friends?

NYTimes
March 8, 2005
ON BASEBALL
All Jackson Has From Bid to Buy the A's Is Questions About Selig's Fairness
By MURRAY CHASS

TAMPA, Fla.

THREE months ago, just after Commissioner Bud Selig was operated on for skin cancer, he had an early, really early, morning visitor. It was not yet 7 o'clock.

"Gosh, Reggie, what are you doing here so early?" Selig said to Reggie Jackson from his bed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in New York.

"I was shaken," Jackson recalled the other day as he recounted the reason for the hospital visit and the conversation that took place. "I was in shock."

"The A's are about to be sold to your friend Lew Wolff," Jackson said. "What is that?"

"What are you doing here so early?" Selig said again.

"What should I do?" Jackson replied. "Leave, go away, come back?"

"Well, there's a lot going on," Selig said. "You don't understand. You need to know the whole story."

"I didn't know what to do," Jackson said, returning to the present. "I walked out. Later, I decided to fly back home."

The day before he visited Selig in the hospital, Jackson had learned that he and his partners would not be buying the Oakland Athletics. He felt Selig had betrayed him. Selig and his chief aide, Bob DuPuy, disputed that characterization yesterday.

"I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish here," Selig said.

"He's confusing two conversations," said DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

It's not surprising in baseball to have a situation that has two sides, two stories, two versions of events. At the center of this two-sided story is Jackson's desire and efforts to buy a team. DuPuy said baseball would eagerly welcome Jackson, a Hall of Famer, as an owner, but he disputed Jackson's version of events.

Jackson's attempt to purchase the team with which he first became a dynamic star was not his first effort to acquire a club. He said he and a group of partners bid $305 million for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1997 but lost out to Rupert Murdoch's $311 million offer.

Jackson said he was so distraught over his failure to get the Dodgers that he didn't focus as intensely as he should have when the Athletics later became available, though they were not sold to anyone at that time.

But it was his failed attempt to buy the Athletics in the past year that devastated him, he said.

"I was kept away from buying the A's," Jackson said. "I was told by Bud and Bob to wait. They asked me not to call the A's. Bob said, 'Hold off, we'll make that call for you.' "

Not so, DuPuy said. "I never told him I would call for him," DuPuy said. "I said if he wanted to call Steve Schott or Ken Hoffman, he was free to do that at any time." Schott and Hoffman are the owners who are selling the A's.

Brian Shapiro, a Wall Street friend and business partner of Jackson's, said he attended many meetings that Jackson had with DuPuy about the A's. "They were intent on getting in between and making the contact," Shapiro said of the approach major league officials wanted to take with Oakland. "Saying now that they didn't is an interesting situation."

"Reggie's number was retired in Oakland in June," Shapiro added. "He could have reached out to Schott, but going by the rules they set, he refrained, to his detriment."

When Jackson and some of his investors met with DuPuy the first week of December, Jackson said, DuPuy told him to call the A's.

"I was ecstatic," Jackson said. "I called, and Steve Schott said: 'Reggie, I'm sorry. We've been engaged in an option to purchase since July.' Seven months earlier, I wanted to call."

Lewis Wolff, a Los Angeles real estate entrepreneur, an A's executive and a college fraternity brother of Selig, held the option and will soon become the team's owner. The sale price is about $180 million. Jackson said his group was prepared to top any offer by $25 million.

But he made his move too late.

"I was devastated emotionally," Jackson said. "I didn't want to do anything."

Jackson, who sustained minor injuries in a frightening automobile accident last Friday, a day after talking about his attempts to buy the A's, said he fell victim to the friends-of-Selig syndrome. A popular view in baseball circles is that any friend of Selig's has the inside track to purchase a team. Exhibit A is the group of John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino, who bought the Boston Red Sox three years ago.

Jackson, who would be the first black managing partner in baseball, said he himself did not have the money to buy a team.

"I have to have partners," he said. "I've been very fortunate to have partners who are supportive, socially conscious, understand the value of sports franchises and understand the world of money. I bring a certain amount of expertise and content, and so the intellectual capital I bring translates into an equity position."

In attempting to buy the A's, Jackson had a plan to move the team to Las Vegas. In fact, DuPuy said, Jackson asked him about acquiring the Expos if they were going to be moved to Las Vegas or Washington.

"I told him he'd be welcome as a control person or part of a group," DuPuy said, "and everybody would have a shot to buy the team."

Jackson has not indicated an interest in buying the Washington Nationals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 08:25 am:

Oh, I think he was indeed screwed by Selig. But some of what Reggie says, doesn't wash. Earlier in the off season he was all buddy-buddy with LV mayor, proclaiming they wanted to get a team in LV. The indications were that Jackson wanted ownership of the team which would move there.

Then, when the sale to Wolff becomes public he goes on about Wolff wanting to move the team to LV, while he (Reggie) would have kept the team in Oakland. Now we're hearing (again) Reggie would have moved the A's to Vegas. C'mon, Reggie, which is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:57 am:

As I said before, Reggie is full of Shiiit. He's so full of it, his eyes are brown and his breath stinks.

I don't believe him, nor do I belve Silig. Maybe I'm naieve, but I will believe Wolff until then.

The A's will remain here in Oakland and the city and county will build a park. Either at the coliseum parking lot or downtown Oakland some where. So screw Reggie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

Tek,

I Love your optimism!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:49 pm:

This has probably already been said but Reggie is all about Reggie and don't think for a second that he gives a crap about Oakland or the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:50 pm:

Thank, you.

I'm not only an A's fan, but a proud city dweller of Oakland. And I think Oakland has a lot more to offer than most people around the bay area know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

yea,

we're centrally located and we were ranked #1 for the best climate in America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 09:02 pm:

Really?
Nothing against Oakland but I live in San Diego now and I can't say there is any better climate than right here!
Honolulu might rank up there for me as well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

the bay area is notoriously a cold climate all yr long except october so best climate hardly.

San diego has the best climate in north America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:23 am:

Sacto, you just described San Francisco. The East Bay's micro-climates are much more pleasant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:22 pm:

Absolutely. It was lovely at my house (North Berkeley) this morning. SF was shrouded in fog and cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 02:42 pm:

If the A's move out of town, will everyone here still support the franchise or turn away from baseball?

The latter. If the A's move after some farce of a dance to build a new ballpark here, it will be pretty transparent evidence of the behind-the-scenes machinations of Bud Selig to reward his friends, punish his enemies, and generally to ruin the traditions of baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 02:45 pm:

root for the giiiints? I'd rather die and go straight to baseball hell...

Rooting for the 'ants IS baseball hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

oakland is only a few degrees warmer then SF but Danville walnute creek are much warmer .

San Diego baby hands down best climate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:32 pm:

Well one thing is for sure, Sacramento sure doesn't have the best climate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 11:36 pm:

it is hot in summer but it is not a very bad climate it does cool down at night in summer with delta breezes, it is a much better baseball climate then Oakland with warm summer nights and cool breezes this is one reason rivercats draw well very comfortable in evenings.

lets face it bay area is to cold in summer except San jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

I have to agree with Sacto the Eastbay has a cool and damp evening climate, its rare that any of us go to a night game without at least a light jacket. But next to SF we might feel like we're in the Mojave, besides, cool nights are no reason to move a team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

That's a good point, ramjet. No one complained about cool nights when the Haas Family had the Coliseum packed with fans from the late '80s till the '94 strike.

As for better baseball climates, I've heard Ray Fosse say on broadcasts that he and his Oakland teammates felt that they had an advantage playing in Oakland because the cooler weather kept them fresher than other teams during the dog days of the pennant race compared to the bad humidity that places like KC, Texas, Chicago, NY and Boston have to endure in July and August.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:48 pm:

I have to agree with Jackson on this whole thing. Think about it. Selig and Wolf are friends. Selig considers the A's in Oakland a huge mistake. The 100 million being offered by the A's is a joke. They know that number is way too low to get anything done. It's a farce so that they can say that they tried. This is all a conspiracy to hand the Bay Area to Magowan on a silver platter while Wolf turns a tidy profit in Vegas.

And yes, Oakland does have the best climate. Has anyone ever tried sitting in the sun in Walnut Creek or San Jose for three hours in the middle of summer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 08:33 pm:

I agree about the climate in Oakland. Having been born and grown up there, when my employer moved to Santa Rosa (many moons ago) I had a terrible time adjusting to the hot summer days up here. But wouldn't you know it, that first year here was one of the hottest. Heck, our first day at the new office, unpacking boxes, it was in the mid 90's and the air conditioning broke down and the ice machines conked out by morning break's end. Our bosses were making a steady trail across the road to Shakey's Pizza Parlor, bringing back huge cokes with lots of ice for everyone, all day. Thought I'd never survive. But really, those extra hot days are few during the summers up here ... usually warm and milder ... but definitely warmer up here than in Oakland. Though shortly after buying my home a number of years ago, first thing I did was have a/c installed. I still can't stand hot weather. Most of the nites up here though, do cool down. I recall going down to Redwood Pioneer games in Rohnert Park (where the Crushers busequently played) and it was very, very cold when that sun went down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:37 pm:

The unique thing about Oakland is that one side is surrounded by water, and the other side is completely inland. So it has the combination of cool weather similar to San Francisco at nights, but has the ability to get as hot as cities like San Jose in the daytime. But usually, Oakland always has a cool summer breeze. For those of us who were raised and/or currently live in Oakland, we are very, very fortunate.
Oh yea, and Mroakland, don't agree with Reggie because he would've moved tha A's anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:53 am:

"busequently"? Geez, I didn't think is was that late. Meant "subsequently", of course. :( :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:34 pm:

What's weather got to do with it? I do not even live in Oakland, and I bleed Green and Gold - I will continue to support the team even if they re-locate to Iceland.

In any case, Reggie is just showboating, I'm sure. What a classless piece of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:12 pm:

I live in central Contra Costa County and had A/C installed as a condition to purchasing my property. I grew up in Oakland and enjoyed the great climate. Even now, my wife and I, find ourselves walking Lake Merritt, Jack London Square, College Avenue etc, during those hot summer days in Contra Costa County.

Also, interesting news regarding Wolf taking charge and responsibility for getting the ballpark built. If he's sincere about this, it's great news indeed. If this ballpark is built largely with private money I'll be eating crow with a huge smile on my face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

How did this convo turn from a discussion on what a two-faced, selfish prick Reggie has turned out to be to the weather in the greater Bay Area?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.