Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

4 of 12

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: 4 of 12
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:42 pm:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050217&content_id=944960&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Only 12 have won 20 games and 4 are former A's.
I do not know how much games Mudcat won as a A.??
I think it was about 12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:10 pm:

Mudcat was a full-time reliever with the A's so he only won seven games total with them. He won 21 with the Twins in 1965.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

A friend emailed me in regard to this a few weeks ago, and as a form of trivia asked if I could name the 12 African-American 20-game winners. I got 10 of the 12 (missed Wilson and Jones), but contested the alleged correct answer. My contention is that Ferguson Jenkins is actually African-Canadian, not African-American.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:26 pm:

so did we have Grant in the late 70's ?

pretty cool to see 4 A's there esp Vida and Dave Steward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:48 pm:

No early 70's at the end of his career. They bought his contract from Cardinals before the '70 season and was the A's closer that year before being traded to the Pirates for Angel Mangual in September. The A's then reaquired him for the stretch run in '71. I don't know why the A's didn't bring him back in '72 or why he couldn't hook on with another team as he did a great job out of the bullpen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By camperhead on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:50 pm:

Technically, Al Downing makes five former A's on that list. He spent a mostly ineffective 1970 season split between Oakland and Milwaukee. The following year was his 20-win campaign with the Dodgers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 03:32 pm:

better yet 5 out of 12
The A's have pitchers !!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.