Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"Steroids talk all rage as camps open"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "Steroids talk all rage as camps open"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 11:13 am:

Jim Bouton believes the controversy is worse than the 1919 Black Sox betting scandal, which I recently said I also believed ... somewhere on one of these threads.

Jim Bouton: "Steroids have illegally and unfairly affected the outcomes of far more ballgames than gambling."

Charles Yesalis, considered this country's foremost authority on steroids:

"Baseball's options are limited. The old 'there's only a few bad apples' excuse isn't working. The idea some drug testing will make the problem go away isn't working, either. I wouldn't want (commissioner) Bud Selig's headaches, which are all self-imposed."

"Drug testing isn't going to clean up anything.", Yesalis said. "We now know that the cream of our track-and-field crop were a bunch of druggies, and they have more rigorous testing."

David Carter of the marketing Sports Business Group:

Carter notes that corporate America is jittery. MasterCard International backed away from a celebration of Bonds' chase of the homerun record -- a march into history that is looking like it will be increasingly awkward.

"Companies are realizing that fans are not happy," he said. "There's a malaise in the game because of this scandal. What goes around comes around."

From the Contra Costa Times (registration required).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.