Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Kielty is already hurt

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Kielty is already hurt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

Please, Billy Beane. Don't make us go into this season with a rookie and a semi-rookie in the corners. We need Eric Byrnes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:12 pm:

Amen!BTW what ails BK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

He strained a calf muscle while running bases. OK, so this isn't a major injury, but it demonstrates the problem with having just Kielty, Swisher and Thomas to rotate through the left and right field positions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:07 pm:

amen. that underscores Byrnes' value and could make BB reticent to make a deal. i mean, i think we're ok with prospects and our future is bright...so don't pull tha trigger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 06:58 am:

screw kielty. for real.

I hate brass cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 07:03 am:

EYLEEN came up with Kielty's new name last season...

"FRECKLE"

simple...yet right on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 08:28 am:

The other attribute about Eric Byrnes, he is never injured. Which is really amazing considering his affinity for walls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 08:43 am:

Oh no.. now I am SAD - NOT

I think of Keilty as Carrot Top! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:05 am:

Kielty is the weakest link of the OF positions with little injury could be blessing for Byrnsie, Thomas, and Swish. Beane should give Carrot Top to Pittsburgh, so the Bucs can have a Grieve and Kielty at corner outfield. Pittsburgh fans will be hoping Steelers training camp to hurry up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:31 pm:

I know Beane's great moves overshadow his bad ones. But, IMO, Kielty and Jeremy Brown (probably) were not good acquisitions. It would be nice to have to eat my words on Kielty (Brown I don't care about, since we suddenly have several young good prospects at catcher), but I sure wouldn't hold my breah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 07:02 pm:

This is good news if you are in the "Let's keep Byrnes" camp. I am. I don't dislike Kielty, but if Billy is going to rest his season on this guy, he is nuts. He is hurt often, can't get the switch hitting down, and doesn't seem to have any spark. Can we trade HIM to Pittsburgh for prospects?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 08:57 pm:

Thanks, oaktowngreen. Carrot Top is pretty good, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

Was anyone else a bit put off by the interview with Kielty on the official website? I know what he's trying to say, but I wish athletes would stop occasionally to consider how the "I just want to have some fun" bit sounds to fans whose ticket prices go up every year so that these players can make a lot of money to have their fun. Dude, you play baseball for a living, and you make more than most research scientists. How much more fun do you need? We all hope he has a better year, but the "I just don't care" attitude is a little too cavalier for my taste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:43 pm:

kkdaz, i'm training (getting a phd) to become a research scientist - in infectious diseases - and unless you're really high up in a company or have really great grant funding at a major university, you don't even make close to what kielty gets, let alone the major league minimum. but i guess figuring out how a disease works so you can treat it or prevent it isn't as important as baseball :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

You're right, Ph.D.'s are not as important as baseball players, not to us anyway.

After all you don't see anyone named jonassalkfan posting on this page, do you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:38 pm:

Hey, I'm a Jonas Salk fan and I'll take polio vaccine over the ability to switch hit (or not) any day. But aside from the obvious social injustice of the salary inequity, I just didn't like the tone of his interview and I was surprised they posted it on the official sight. If he has more fun when he plays better, then I too hope Kielty has more fun this year. It just bugs me when I hear these highly compensated guys say talk about having fun, as if that's their goal. Sure it's a nice by-product, but not much of a mission statement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:49 pm:

Methinks Urban was scraping the bottom of the barrel for a story. He should've taken a day off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:36 am:

In the off-season, Kielty told one of his friends he was going to hit more than .300 this year. His friend told him, you have a better chance of being Ronald McDonald.

Kielty hopes to achieve both. He has grown his red hair out and isn't cutting it. Teammates Bobby Crosby and Scott Hatteberg are calling him Ronnie Mac - and Kielty doesn't mind.

When you have red hair, it looks cool when it's wild, Kielty said. This is what you get this year. Whatever it takes. If McDonald's come with a deal, I'm ready to take it. But I have to hit .300 to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

I think he is mimicking Byrnsie's "wild" hair in hopes of finding some of that Byrnsie magic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

Will he be Ronald McDonald or Krusty the Klown?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:54 pm:

I for one hope that the "Bozo Look" works for the kid. The Richie Cinningham thing sure didn't. Look what the "Charles Manson" look did for Damon last year, heck it may have broken the curse! Captain CaVeMaN!!!!

How bad would it be if this guy actually contributed this year. I know he stunk on ice last year but why not pull for the kid?

Disclaimer: The above words were written with empathy by a former "red headed step child".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:21 am:

goldtymer,nothing personal. I always wanted to be a redhead, although I wanted more of an auburn shade than carrot. ;-)

I think it would be good for Kielty to contribute. Any reservations I have are due to my belief that Kielty's playing time will come at the expense of Byrnes. But, such is life. As long as the "who plays" decisions are for the good of the team, and not the GM's ego, I can live with them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.