Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

new lineup??

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: new lineup??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 07:43 pm:

Lineup update: The first game of the spring is a week from today and the A's starting lineup will have an interesting look. Macha said he's planning to have Kotsay, Kendall and Erubiel Durazo, all high on-base percentage guys, hitting 1-2-3 ahead of Chavez, and Hatteberg hitting behind Chavez. That lines up three lefties in a row, Durazo, Chavez and Hatteberg.

"You don't want to stick too many lefties in there,'' Hatteberg said. "When we did that last year, we'd get to the fifth inning and (the opponent) would bring a lefty out of the pen. Luckily, we hit 'em pretty good (.277 overall), but that's tough to ask.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/24/SPG2ABG6HF1.DTL

3 lefties in a row is stupid. I wouldn't mind seeing Byrnes earlier in the lineup against lefties...split up that righty lefty thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 07:52 pm:

You can afford to experiment with different line-ups in Spring Training. They could bat Chavez 9th and Scutaro clean-up for all it matters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 08:32 pm:

IDEAL LINEUP: REG SEASON

Kotsay
Byrnes
Chavez
Durazo
Kendall
Hatty
Crosby
Ginter
Swischer

thats just me...you all will probably disagree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

I would like to see byrnes high like in the 2 hole. I wouldn't mind seeing Kendall in the 3 and then Chavey in the 4. That would give us Byrnes with hr power in 2, Kendall high OBP at 3 (little power) and Chavey with power in 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:09 pm:

Yeh, this is no new revelation. Been speculating for a week now, that Kotsay, Kendall, Durazo will be hitting ahead of Chavey. I'd rather see Crosby or Byrnes hitting behind Chavez though. But undoutbedly, there will be considerable experimenting throughout the spring. I just hope by the time the season starts Macha has a set lineup (unlike two years ago) and somehow we can do better than Hattey following Chavez in the order. I'd rather see Hattey hit 2nd with Durazo behind Chavez, if none of the righties can carry the spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:17 am:

i"m getting excited

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

bottom line-chavvy could drive in a TON of runs in 05.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

I don't think Chavy should be in the # 3 spot period. He is waaaay to inconsistent. I think last year, when Chavy was hurt, and Kotsay hit 3rd, we were the productive from that position. Also, screw the Righty-Lefty mix up...Just let em hit..

1-Kendal
2-Hatty
3-Kotsay
4-Chavy
5-Ruby
6-Crosby
7-Brynes
8-Ginter
9-Swish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 03:50 pm:

I would keep Kotsay at lead off spot, and with the depth of this team, there are many possiblities. Here is my ideal 'A' lineup: and 'B' lineup.

'A' Lineup

Kotsay
Kendall
Chavez
Durazo
Hatteburg
Crosby
Scutaro/Ellis/Ginter
Swisher
Byrnes/Thomas

'B' Lineup
Byrnes
Kendall
Durazo
Hatteburg
Swisher
Ginter
Crosby
Scutaro/Ellis
Thomas/Kielty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 04:49 pm:

Why would scooter or ellis bat before Byrnes? That doesn't make sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 05:37 pm:

Scutaro in any line-up doesn't make any sense. Ellis' shoulder is fully healed, so they say, so the odds of "Scooter" making the team are slim. Ginter/Ellis should be a decent enough offense/defense platoon.

I think as the year goes on either Crosby or Swisher will establish themselves as the #5 hitter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 09:33 am:

They like to hit Byrnes 9th because that is often like a 2nd leadoff spot ... so you have speed going into the (legitimate) leadoff spot.

I wholeheartedly agree with vinnieangelo's lineup, though I might fiddle with the bottom three, moving Swisher to #7 and Byrnes, #9. Kotsay (though a fairly low sampling) had awesome numbers in the three spot last year, while Kendall has had excellent numbers in leadoff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 10:16 am:

Wow, still think it's weird Scooter doesn't get any props....why do you all think he is so bad? Why do you think there is NO way he will make the team??

What if the guy outplays both Ellis and Ginter enormously this spring?? Would anyone take him seriously? Remember, he was a rookie last year - I would say that was a pretty stellar year for a first year 2b.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 10:57 am:

Methinks they are (secretly) hoping Ellis needs a little more priming (from his injury) so he can open at AAA, while they decide where they are going to go btw. bench and pen. Although they will not need a 5th starter until a couple weeks (at least) into the season ... maybe longer depending on how cooperative the Baltimore weather is the first week. So it is definitely likely their 5th starter will open the season at AAA, which will allow them a little more time re how many relievers they are going to carry. That will (obviously) affect whether they carry all three 2b ... and for how long, of course.

There are also a couple of dark horses -- Jermaine Clark and Smith. Evidently Clark can pretty much play all positions and is believed to have an outside shot of sticking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:41 am:

don't forget the Bocachica - he's got a good shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:47 am:

Barring an injury I think the bench is set in stone with Melhuse, Ginter/Ellis, Thomas, and Kielty. I see almost no chance the A's don't take 12 pitchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:31 pm:

According to both Beane & Macha at FanFest, the "swing spot" on the roster will almost definitely go to a pitcher. The concern is with the youth and uncertainty of the projected staff, and their desire to change pitchers during an ineffective performance before they lose confidence in themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

I feel bad for Scooter because as well as he filled in last year, he has to be 3rd on that list once Ellis is fully "back." Ginter provides too much offense not to play him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:14 am:

you know what I like Scooter, the guy hit over .270 had some big hits for us and yeah his OBP wasn't that great but he played solid defense. i think elly will start at AAA to get his strike back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:25 am:

Chavez needs protection or he'll lead the league in intentional walks. By the numbers, Byrnes offers the best protection against lefties, but I don't see opposing managers being especially worried about him, until they get burned repeatedly. Against righties, I think Durazo has to bat behind Chavez. That either puts Chavez in the #3 spot, or they do a Kendall, Thomas, Kotsay order (assuming Thomas is for real). Or they go Kotsay, Kendall, Hatteberg. Hatte hit well with guys in scoring position, but he's not going to offer enough protection if they bat him behind Chavez.

What's the fascination with Bocachica? His ML stats are awful and his minor league stats are nothing to get excited about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:37 am:

He's a versatile player - a player that typically sneaks into our lineup somehow - if even as a back up - and does some great things. Just watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:43 am:

Unless there's an injury he has no shot of making the team. Doesn't seem like anything more than a 4-A palyer anyways. He turns 29 on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 09:38 am:

"Macha said the team could carry 12 pitchers to start the season." According to Roderick's short hops, cctimes. Also a comment that one of those who don't make starter ... Etherton, Meyer or Blanton could be in the pen. Actually, I can't see them putting Meyer or Blanton in the pen. I would think if either don't make the rotation (especially Meyer) they will go to Sacto where they can get regular work. Of course, it is unlikely they will need a 5th starter for at least the first couple weeks, anyway. But I would think they would take an early look at another reliever before keeping those two starters up here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:25 am:

If Meyer doesn't make the rotation there's no reason to put him in the pen and get the clock started early on his service years. If he comes up in the middle of the year then this year wouldn't count as one of his six pre-FA years.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.