Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

dan meyer rocked in 1st start

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: dan meyer rocked in 1st start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

i know it's only ST, but 7 runs in 2 innings versus the brew-crew today. and 2 homers.

on the + side, byrnesey smacked one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:47 pm:

Who did Byrnes hit one for, them or us?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

Said Yabu: "I really learned a lot from that second inning. First, the importance of control."

WOW!!! You just learned that and you're supposed to be a seasoned vet???!!!

Its only SPRING TRAINING.. I know. But these are auditions. YOU BRING YOUR BEST STUFF and BEST ATTITUDE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 09:41 pm:

let me tell you folks we just went from being an A class team to a C+ class team get used to it.

this japaneses guy will be a big bust he was mediocre in Japan do ya think it will be better in the american bigs?

on a better note the young guys in the pen look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:03 pm:

Actually Yabu had pretty decent numbers in Japan.

Everything except for win loss record (which has little to do with actual pitching) was pretty solid.

Of course it does not mean it will translate into success over here.

Either way don't you think it's a little early to comment on how good the team is, after two cactus league games?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:43 pm:

Yeh, sacto, if you want to take a look at a real flopping performance, look toward one of the aces we traded; Mulder couldn't get past the first inning, which included 4 walks. In any event, regardless who's pitching, I can't believe anyone would make a big deal out of some guy's first ST start. Ridiculous! And since you're convinced this team is only c+ ... and, hey, they may be ... maybe you would be happier following the AARP crew across the bay. Hmmm, or maybe you ought to put in an application for Beane's job. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:42 pm:

IT'S SPRING FREAKING TRAINING!

If I remember correctly, Harden sucked a fatty last spring and then slowly turned into our most consistent starter last year! Meyer is on a new team, he's still young. It was his first spring start - I am not worried.

Nobody said we'd be as good this year as last year. We DO have the potential, but we could be just slightly above mediocre this year! Who knows?! Point is, getting our young pitchers one full year in the bigs will most likely mean, if they are as good as we think, that 2005 will be really really good. So, let's just take it easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:54 am:

i was just pickin' on yabu for the quote he made. I still think this team is awesome!!! I'm not going to make any assumptions after two CL games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 11:01 am:

This is comical. A mere two days into a meaningless spring training and some of us are pulling a chicken little. Wow. Slow news day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:57 pm:

a bit more news Bradford out

Street in ???

maybe a vetern better to save roster space or better yet Johnson

I'm getting a bit tired of Rincon being so wild and generous with his walks

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/05/sports/s112926S33.DTL

Oakland Athletics reliever Chad Bradford will have back surgery on Monday and is expected to be out until late June.

Bradford has been plagued by lower-back soreness and spasms for years, and the problems flared up again early in spring training. His back locked up with spasms last week, and days of rehabilitation haven't fixed the problem.

"With my delivery, it's not the first time I've had lower back problems," Bradford said. "The way I twist and turn out there, it grinds on my back. But if I threw over the top, I'd be at home right now working somewhere, and not in the bigs."

The A's announced Saturday that Bradford will be operated on by Dr. Greg Wood in Mississippi.

Bradford has been a fixture in Oakland's bullpen, getting key outs as a top setup man to the A's long list of closers. He is 18-14 with six saves and 186 strikeouts since 2001.

But his back problems have built up for years to the point where he's unable to sit still for long periods on team flights or even on his couch. He had serious back trouble last spring, preventing him from pitching in the Cactus League until the final week.

His ERA rose to 4.42 last season, and he spent 15 days on the disabled list late in the regular season with lower back problems. Bradford's struggles were among the many reasons Oakland blew an AL-leading 28 saves last season.

The 30-year-old right-hander devoted himself to an offseason recovery program back home in Mississippi, but it apparently did little to keep his back from acting much older than its age. The A's have tried various treatment methods this spring.

"The way he throws is really hard on his back," A's trainer Larry Davis said. "There's no way to change that. That's what makes him so effective. You just have to deal with the resulting trauma that happens. ... It's not going to go away. That's what frustrates Chad so much. Once you have a back problem, you have a back problem (forever)."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

Thanks for posting that, doc. The "paper" Chron didn't have that story this morning.

I'll have to cut Bradford some slack in retrospect. His back problems were apparently a lot worse than I thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

Actually, pitchers tend to get roughed up in ST, so I think if Meyer pitched that well this early, it's a good sign

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

Oh my goodness, I totally misread the post! I got the 2 and 7's mixed up.

Nevermind then

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.