Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Group Resurfaces for A's Ballpark

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Group Resurfaces for A's Ballpark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:48 am:

This article was written by Glenn Dickey, so be very critical:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/03/08/SPGB7BLS5R1.DTL&type=as

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:51 pm:

Glenn Dickey does not write a column anymore viewing his personal opinions so the article was a generic information article not one mans opinion article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

I thought this was a good article regarding the people involved with this project. Glenn also writes about the new retail being built in that area and the fact that walmart could be the catalyst for more retail developement along the Hegenberger corridor. The coliseum BART station is another area of new construction and especially the new AMTRAK station and going rate housing that is being built at the old Flieshman's plant. There are a lot of great things happening and it's only going to get better as the space for housing becomes scare. The developers' will see more potential for housing, retail and office opportunities in the city of Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:26 am:

I agree, tekgraf. This could be a very good site. What bodes well are some of the details the article provided, especially the business group's plans to NOT build a multi-level parking garage and to pay for the park while NOT relying Oakland's general fund. Those are good ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 11:35 pm:

There are several sites in the area adjacent to the parking lot of the coliseum. One site that comes to mind is the old Home Base aka White Front space.

Who remembers White Front? They had the best donuts in town. Mmmm, donuts.

Anyway, that would be a great place to build the ball park. close to BART, and hegenberger is right out front. Thousands of car driving by on their way to the airport.

Mmmm, chocolate donuts! Croullers, stat! I'm off to Colonial donuts, good night folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

i think the old whitefront would be a great site the land is empty and available you could have plenty of parking between the 2 stadiums but the only thing is you got to buy land and up goes the price again.

i wonder if they could cover the drainage area and pave it to creat a more even parking lot seems they have the land where the old miniture golf was they use as employee parking i think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:48 pm:

I remember White Front in So Cal when I was a teenager. A blast from the past, tekgraf!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:31 am:

It seems that White Front was sort of like Big Lots of the 1960's. I the only other thing I remember, besides the donuts, was that my brothers and me bought some way cool sailor hats. They were wool and similar to Donald Duck's. I also remember that it had a large curving arch that was well lighted. Probably the white lights is what gave it it's name.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.