Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"Kendall bonds with A's hurlers"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "Kendall bonds with A's hurlers"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 07:47 am:

Nice article. Note the comments about Damian Miller, which I've heard before, but some of you may have missed.

Also, on the rest of the catcher front ... Kurt Suzuki threw out two base runners yesterday and went 1-1 w/RBI. Daric Barton, 10 days after surgery, did some light hitting and continues to work out at first base. I note that he played first and third exclusively, in high school.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_2602356

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:00 am:

I'm excited about Kendall.
The Miller comments make you think we really did miss Ramon last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:34 am:

I remember that Macha once criticized Melhuse publicly last year for not following the game plan. Sounds like Miller did the same thing fairly often, and never got corrected. Once again, I have to wonder where Macha was while this poor communication was taking place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:58 am:

Macha has his whipping boys. He often took his efforts to humiliate Byrnes to the press as well.

Sorry. I have a soft spot for the underdogs--if Macha picks on someone, he must be a good guy in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

yea, I remember Macha would seemingly dig on Byrnes a bit, but now it seems like he is finnaly giving the guy some run - maybe he felt Byrnes needed to earn his lumps first?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

Macha is only being nice because he thinks Byrnes has one foot out the door. He mentions that fact all of the time.

Hmm, I think I'm just in grumpy mood today. Don't mind me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

Did they have to use the term "bonds" with A's players?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:49 pm:

The Oakland Tribune still seems not to realize the Athletics are Oakland's team. If one didn't know better, one would think the A's play in the Chron's home city ... their coverage is simply superior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 06:25 pm:

Case in point from this afternoon's Mercury News:

Mark Kotsay is set in center and Eric Byrnes will be in one of the other spots, thought the equation could change if Byrnes, who has been shopped around, is traded.

"I think he plays best in left field," Macha said of Byrnes. "Will he play there? Probably not. Let's see who the other guys are in the lineup. Let's wait until opening day. He may not be here. If he's here, he's going to play a lot. In the meantime we have a bunch of candidates who can go out there and play."

gee Skipper, that's some talent you have for talking out of both sides of your mouth at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:03 am:

Talking about fueling the fire! Haven't we heard enough Byrnes trade talk to last a lifetime?

Macha is REALLY talented because he can talk out of both sides of his mouth at once WHILE having his foot firmly stuck in there too.

What a Dumb Ass comment about Byrnes. Question is: Did he let something slip or was he fully aware of what he said and the impact it might have.

Good thing Byrnesy takes all this stuff in stride. I think the kid is pretty damn together through this BS offseason for him.

Macha, on the other hand, continues to unimpress off the field as well as on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:24 am:

Chavez has been accused at times as not having a world of tact when he talks to the media. But he errs on the side of gut-level honesty and he often just doesn't take himself seriously.

Then, on the other hand, enter Ken Macha. The guy not only has much tact, he simply doesn't think before he speaks. Not a great attribute when you are a manager ... in any business. I agree, his ongoing comments about Byrnes being here/not being here, are an absolute drag.

On that topic, I found one comment in Susan Slusser's article this morning interesting. One rumor is they prefer not to let Byrnes know up front he has a starting job because some in the organization believe he plays better when he thinks he has to fight for his job. Any truth to that? I don't know. But there does seem to be some truth to Macha's not always appearing to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:32 am:

You know, at the age of 29, Byrnes may be past the point where a little reverse psychology still works on him. Especially since he is always being asked if he thinks this is what Billy and Co. are doing to him.

In the meantime, I still just so happy to be listening to baseball again, even when it is Robert Buan doing the play-by-play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

If Byrnes is traded I am officially boycotting this team. Hudson and Mulder were a tough pill to swallow but I took it in stride. Byrnes as well is too much. It would be ridiculous. That guy has carried our team too many times. He is always getting the shaft. And then they give him this 1 year deal crap, when the guy obviously deserves a multi year extension. What does he have to do?? He is a fan favorite and more than that a good player. He is above average defensively and offensively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

I'm just glad the people I work for don't single me out for special shafting the way A's management singles out Byrnes. Whether or not Byrnes is a good player, it's just bad management. He has feelings, too, Billy Beane. Macha I'm not so sure about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:21 pm:

Well, if they deal Byrnes then I have to be even more suspect they are kicking this season aside. Given a powerless right-side-of-the-plate lineup, they can hardly afford to deal Byrnes who has to be considered a big part of our offense. But I guess Beane is still convinced Kielty can contribute something. Right now he's probaly the only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

I, too, don't get it. Other players with 20 HR and .285 batting average, and speed, are getting big contracts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:57 pm:

Don't get it at all. I feel like smakcing bb right now,.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

I keep hearing that BB is NOT calling around and has not called around, dangling Byrnes; rather, it is other teams calling him.

But I have it all figured out. First of all, Macha has basically cut out the contract extension talks. Word in Pittsburgh already is that if he does not re-sign (and some of those PA writers are speculating he will not), he will be McLendon's replacement for the Pirates. Therefore, Macha won't let go of the Byrnes' trade possibilities. He is hoping the Pirates will deal for him. And that old saying ... if you say something long enough and often enough ...
:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 08:25 pm:

ah dj, love the logic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:08 pm:

Maybe Macha's mouth will get HIM sent to Pittsburg. One can only hope.

I think BB can't be happy that his Manager is vocalizing his suspicians that Byrnes may be gone. Unless, of course, Beane put Kenny up to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:15 pm:

Yeah, Pittsburg (CA) would be a good place for Cacha. He could coach the high school team.

Uh, Bill, it's Pittsburgh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 01:01 am:

Myh apologhies.

I ogh yoogh a beergh and a burgher, Ey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:16 am:

It's that old school teacher, red pencil urge. I can't help myself sometimes.

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:14 pm:

YEAH PITTSBURG (CA)!!!!!!!...Thats where I live now... (THE BURG)

hey, I was just thinking (when I saw that Buans name was on this thread)...Would steroids make him a better broadcaster???? Too bad he wasnt around in the early 90s...Jose could have taken him in the stall, and shot up his tounge with a needle.....

That, or he could have just punched him in the throat!!!!

Much love,

Vin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:44 am:

sorry, wrong thread..but whatever...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

Breaking news--in the pregame interview, Macha, after a long pause, included Byrnes in his list of the everyday players.

Is the world about to come to an end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

Probably had trouble remembering Byrnes' name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 05:42 pm:

Only one showing any kind of "consistent" power, so far; hit his 3rd HR today.

In the meantime, I'm getting tired of hearing he is playing right field in order to be "showcased" for other teams. Frankly, I didn't think Swisher looked too swift in in rf last year; maybe that has something to do with it. Also, Swisher could be playing a fair amount at 1b, this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:38 am:

I'm w/ya dj. in fact, more and more I think of it, trading byrnes is just as annoying as trading two of the big three. btw, mulder's been god-awful in ST.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.