Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Off Season Summary Request

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Off Season Summary Request
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 09:45 am:

If we could, let us pretend that GT was on a deserted island somewhere and could not get any updates on his beloved team. In reality, I have been in Carlsbad Ca extremely focusedbetween career & faith and I am ready for some A's baseball. Now if I knew who these kids were....

I know most of the big changes but let's pretend I saw the last game of last year and nothing since. In a paragraph, what has happened and what is the state of the A's?

Thanx..

What has happened while I have been sleeping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:17 am:

Gladly...

Huddy traded for Charles Thomas (young "Byrnes like" player with tons of energy but bats lefty), Dan Meyer (one of the Braves top pitching prospects) and Juan Cruz (former Cubs starting prospect who has TONS of potential - but hasn't really got the control yet - he did a GREAT job in the Braves' pen last year).

Then of course Mulder shortly thereafter traded for Dan Haren (young prospect who had a terrific end of the regular season and post season for the Cards), Kiko Calero (very good bullpen arm - mix of some power and control) and Daric Barton (possibly the BEST hitting prospect in the minors - only 19 years old - catcher who doesn't have the defensive skills so he'll probably be moved to 1b - he's recovering from appendectomy right now).

Traded Rhodes and Redman to Pirates for Kendall. Ended up not being an enormous amount of money to take on...so it was a nice deal.

Byrnes rumors every day re: him getting dealt for Cameron or someone else...we'll see.

We signed a Japanese starter Yabu. We got Ginter from Brewers - not great defensively but hit about 20 homers last year as a 2b. He'll fight it out with Ellis at 2b - possible Scutaro is released or they could keep all 3.

Basically, we have 3 open pitching spots after Zito and Harden - which will probably go to 3 of the following: Blanton, Haren, Meyer, Etherton (who had a FINE outing yesterday).

Bullpen could be the best we've had in YEARS - but may only have 1 lefty (Rincon).

Lots of other stuff, but that's the main gist. I see us having a wide open future: If the young starters can do the job, we could compete. If they stink up the joint, I see us decent this year and a lot better the next. BB got a bunch of bullpen arms who could go more than 1 inning so as to help bail out the young SP's when needed. Will be a very exciting year!!

Hope you are well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

Welcome back, GT. Carlsbad, huh? Admit it, you've been spending your time at Legoland and the outlets.

I think Haren is guaranteed a rotation spot, leaving two open spots for Meyer, Blanton and Etherton, with Yabu being an outside shot. Other than that Asch did a perfect summation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 06:09 pm:

Heard on the broadcast today that Macha's "Plan A" is Zito, Harden, Haren, Blanton and Meyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:24 pm:

Don't know if that's bb's plan A. If blanton and/or meyer go the AAA, their arb eligability is delayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 09:05 pm:

I think Saarloos is a sleeper for a rotation spot. Dude's been pitching very well. I like his sinker a lot with our infielders.

Like OK says, would allow us to delay/season more Blanton/Meyer.

It's early of course but the front end of the rotation looks good.

Maybe by midseason we'll be saying:

"With Zito, Harden, and Haren the other teams we be Scaren." :)

Or maybe not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 09:13 pm:

Didn't Saarloos get lit up a couple of days ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:08 pm:

Yup, Saarloos got lit up. Today, Dotel got lit up in the fourth.

Daric Barton made his first plate appearance today. BB should be happy ... it was a walk. :)

Oh, and Suzuki replaced Kendall late in the game and threw out another potential base stealer. That is four runners he has thrown out in 3 days. Also getting some hits. I already love the guy, but I'm not surprised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:29 am:

awesome update. Haven't done Legoland B3, the outlets are nice indeed.

Thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.