Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Big Mac

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Big Mac
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

Is anyone REALLY surprise??

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=mcgwiresteroids&prov=st&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:30 pm:

Here's another link (hope it works):

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/289502p-247838c.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:40 am:

*Sigh*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By calig on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 06:44 am:

Giants fans I know are giving me crap about how McGuire and Conseco being on Steroids lessons the luster of the 1989 World Series Championship.

But they believe Barry used them unknowingly and was duped by his trainer. LOL...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:46 am:

If this is based on Canseco alone, I would give it no creedance (regardless of how big Mark was) but if all kinds of witnesses come forward (or are called in) we will left with no other choice but to sadly admit that Big Mac was really a Big Yak. Gianbi was a fraud and so were many of our baseball heroes. Bonds may be a jerk but he is no worse a criminal than Mac, Giambi etc....the only differential is that Bonds did it better.

I hope that the MLB & the players association understand what they have done, I hope the agents & trainers are held accountable. The player makes the ultimate decision but the work environment is set by the league,ownership, players association, agents & trainers. They encouraged it. They may not have planted the seed but they poured water on it.

Instead of living by, teaching and demanding that core principles are followed. These people were overcome by greed.

Look at the attention Big Mac & Bonds have brought to baseball. How much revenue did that amount to? How did MLB promote them? How could a young player follow that lead?

Where is Kennisaw Mountain Landis when you need him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:57 am:

One question though...why does Canseco not know who this guy is? He'd have no reason to protect McGwire at this point by denying knowledge of this guy.

Oh and can I appeal to the board gods to move all steroid talk to the off field forum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:58 am:

ah yc, i knew you'd chime on this thread. I know you're a huge big mac guy, but I thought the guy was a juiced prick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

Such a shame.

Mcgwire was always my favorite player, so this one really hurts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 11:31 pm:

macs a fraud. You see that interview where he is talking about god given talent that no one wants to talk about. You see his eyes he is lying like little kid.
but he did help us win a world series so cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 01:03 am:

YAWN
Ya, big shock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 08:37 am:

Would it be considered dishonest to deny that Big mac had a Big Impact (positive) on the game of baseball in 98?

Would you consider it dishonest to deny that Big Mac had a big impact on the A's of tyhe late 80's & early 90's?

I have always really appreciated McGwire so IF he used steroids, this is painful.

Regardless, the Owners/Union in baseball certainly encouraged that type of behavior by creating a wink & nudge climate. They should be admonished.

But..

At some point, you must come to the conclusion that the player had to make a decision whether to do something illegal or not. Illegal & against the rules shouldn't be the real reason. Right & wrong should be the real reason.

If a man did use steroids, the right thing to do is step up and be accountable for your actions.

I don't like Canseco doing a "tell all" but I at least appreciate his honesty when it comes to admitting HE used the drugs. If he would have kept the finger pointed at himself and used the experience to help others not make the same mistakes, he would have earned the respect of millions.

So who would you respect more right now, an honest Canseco or a lying McGwire?

For now I have the comfort of not seeing any direct evidence or hearing the "testi-money"
: ) of witnesses who saw Big Mac do roids.
I don't expect to have that to lean on for long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 08:44 am:

Well, if Mac did juice (which I believe it is likely he did)is his lying any less than Bonds'? Except for the difference in personalities (everybody loves to hate Bonds) when it comes to roids, in all honesty if Mac is guilty, I can't think any more of him than I do Bonds on that issue. They are both cheaters and, IMO, neither would deserve to hold HR records and both should be banished from HOF consideration. A cheater is a cheater, regardless how much he is loved or hated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 08:46 am:

exactly.

But a reformed cheater is at least useful in that they can become an instrument of education for those behind them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 11:31 am:

dj and gt, on point as usual. if my memory serves me correct, during the late 80s/early 90s big mac was always super popular. even the year when he hit .200 w/20 hrs. Canseco always got crapped on. I do think joser is a bitter. nevertheless, it's time for these guys to fess up so we can head off this steriod issue at the pass.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.