Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Terrific article on Huston Street

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Terrific article on Huston Street
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 08:12 am:

Enjoy!

"Word on Street potential"

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_2606866

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:24 am:

I can only pray he will be our Mariano Rivera. I want to see a look of desperation in the smug ass faces of Chowds & Yanker fans, knowing they should pack up their big mouths and head home. Hopefully this kid does not read the papers and let all the hype get to his head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:18 am:

He seems terribly poised, and have a good head on his shoulders. I think with Chad Brad out, Street is almost a lock to make the team. Also, if Dotel starts imploding, who know? The Cubs are looking for a closer, and Street might take Dotel's place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:37 am:

"Hopefully this kid does not read the papers and let all the hype get to his head." Hah!

Street, from this morning's cctimes: "Every day is a new day here. To say I don't read that stuff in the newspapers, I'd be lying. I like seeing my name in the newspapers. I love being here with these guys."

Also, he was seething in the clubhouse the other day after allowing his first baserunner then following with a walk, saying "you just can't do that", you can't allow the tying run to come to the plate. He was seen having an animated discussion with Duke regarding his pitches.

In any event, I don't think we have to worry about him getting a big head, he's too level headed and mature well beyond his age, according to those around him. The article also says that he will likely be a fan favorite with his "infectious personality."

Registration is required for cctimes, but, essentially, that is what the article said.

In the meantime, Zito will go against M's today, followed by Street, Cruz and Dotel ... not necessarily in that order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:37 pm:

If Street is the real deal (and he definitely seems like it thus far, through most of the minors and ST), I would love for him to be our 8th inning go to guy, ala K-Rod the past few years. Being in that role will no doubt groom him for his chance at closer, which will be easier to crack if Dotel messes up. If he's ready this year and Dotel does OK, I am sure Beane will dump the second year of Dotel's new contract to a team that needs a closer (always in high demand, and Dotel would be on the cheap) in another one of his rob'em blind deals. Then again, Street may not have what it takes to be a closer (see: Arthur "all" Rhodes "lead to trouble") but I have faith in him.

Anyone know why he's a closer and not a starter? I read somewhere he pitched 5+ innings once in an Olympic game (I think it was the Olympics) but often they groom guys who have injuries or bad experiences as starters (but effective in small doses) or those that just run out of gas after a few innings to be closers, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 03:38 pm:

RFF read the above article and your questions will be answered. By the way, he pitched 8 (not 5) shutout innings in that USA game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:06 pm:

Well Hell read the papers kid!

Good thinking there Oakchick but I don't think Billy will let him have a shot at closing if Dotel goes south. To much pressure too early; however, if lets say we are in last by the Break I could see Billy trading Dotel and letting Street close for a last place team, not to much pressure. Of course, I am not saying I want to see us in last.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.