Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Byrnesey Baby

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Byrnesey Baby
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

The guy jacked another homer today. I think Byrnes could be the right handed power guy we need this season, and rumors about trading him are moronic. The guy is far better than the "average" left fielder. Instead people should be talking contract extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:44 pm:

Poor Byrnesey, he gets the respect here in the States like he does in the Dominican Republic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:00 pm:

Byrnes will be a superhero someday. I just hope he gets the chance sometime in the next few years. He's not exactly a young man anymore -- guy's 29. Somebody gots to show that fella some respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

So you all buying tickets to his HOF induction yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:31 am:

Cooperstown is too far. However I do plan to be at the yard the day his #22 is retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:25 am:

Nice one cal_90. How come the Byrnes haters never show up when he's carrying the team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:46 am:

Even if he has a mediocre career, than man's style makes A's fans out of little kids. The immediate value: more seats in the stands today. Tomorrow, that equates to more tickets _each_ year, more shirts and stuff, more friends who jump aboard and an overall hugely profitable investment.

For those of you who have been A's fans through thick and thin, just think back to when you were kids and the few acts it took to turn you into a lifetime customer. Now you've given thousands to the organization.

Eric Byrnes isn't a ballplayer. He's a franchise builder. If only the franchise understood that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:05 am:

It's not about hating, it's about overrating him to insane levels. Byrnes is now overrated by the most A's fans, not underrated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:44 am:

YC, precisely. That's exactly why the a's should keep him. B/c he puts butts in the seats. My girlfriend hates baseball, loves Byrnes. My buddy's wife hates baseball, loves byrnes. I keep telling you yc, to stop drinking the billy beane koolaide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:45 am:

What is the cost on keeping him for the next 4-5 years? I bet he would want to stay at a hometown discount. He's one guy given the work ethic, the hustle, the emotion he plays is perfect for this club, plus he's a clubhouse guy too. Him and Chavvy. Get it done Billy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:46 am:

I can pretty much tell you right now, if the a's deal byrnes I'll go to less games. Also, a power right-handed bat is of big-time value to this team, given how light-hitting we are from the right-handed side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:47 am:

I don't care if the a's let him walk once he becomes a FA. Just don't deal him this year...or at least don't deal him until we're out of playoff contention....not with the PR nightmare of an offseason we've had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

"Billy Beane Koolaide" lol!

okplayer where did you get that term? It seems to be a take off of a term I have heard before, just subtract BB from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:03 pm:

Oh and Byrnsie Baby leads the team with 4 spring training HRs. Maybe BB is getiing into Byrnes head with all this trade rumor talk and Byrnes is in a "I'll show that prick" modeu, just speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:10 pm:

I've never advised trading him and in fact I said I didn't like the Cameron trade rumor because of Cameron's uncertain health status. I just don't think it will be the end of the world to trade a league average hitting corner outfielder who is very poor defensively. I like Byrnes and he's a solid player but he's by no means a superstar or franchise player. You can call it hating if you want but it's reality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:42 pm:

There is no other player on the team right now who generates fan controversy the way Byrnes does. I think that shows his importance to the team as a fan interest generator.

I know that I will be watching the games on the old tube this season. This is, after all, my team. However, the number of games that I will attend this year will be directly proportional to the way in which I perceive Billy Beane is treating Byrnes. Name him a starter (he has earned it), preprint his name on the damned All Star ballot, and I will buy tickets. Continue to play coy about whether he stays or gets traded, whether he starts or will just “play a lot”, and I will do what I am currently doing, which is to stay away from the ticket office.

My dollars are an indicator of the level of respect I have for Billy Beane. Right now, I don’t have a lot of respect for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

Just insert Jim Jones instead of Billy Beane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

yc, you're right. byrnes isn't all that. but he adds value to this team. his RH pop is essential given how light-hitting we are. He also steals bases better than anyone else on this club. His SB success ratio was fantastic last year. Also, he puts butts in the seats. the point is, brynes = fan fav = butts in the seats = $. I'd think the financially conscious A's would be aware of that. I guess the bigger question is, what could we get for him. Again, this offseason has been a PR nightmare. Let's not add fuel to the fire. No one is saying that Brynes is immortal or a HOFer. Also, the jury's still out on Swisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

Byrnes has probably already called Brian Sabean and informed him that he will be happy to spell Bonds in LF next season. Really, I would not blame him. With Bonds health up in the air he will get quite a bit of playing time there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:20 pm:

Frankly, unless the A's are ready to mail the season in, I think the "trading Byrnes speculation" is kind of ridiculous. What would they get for him? Another prospect or another reliever. Whoopie. A HOFer he may not be, but as others have alluded to, right now he is the best right handed bat (something we seem to be forever without) this team has. And in spite of what the (eastern, in particular) papers have said, Beane's "desire" for Cameron is and was waaaay overstated ... at least this year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.