Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The Grilling of Fehr and Selig

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The Grilling of Fehr and Selig
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:38 pm:

I don't know who Congressman Christoper Shays is but I LOVE his grilling of the slimeball lawyer, Selig and Fehr. Maaybe the best thing to happen to this mess is the removal of both Selig and Fehr.

Rep. Ellijah Cummings also blasted them about their "5 strike and you're out" drug policy and their claim they don't want to ruin players careers. He reminded them of the thousands of people who are going to jail for years after the first and second offenses. Why should any of these players be treated differently

If you can see a replay of this testimony you gotta see it. I think it will be replayed on CSPAN tonight and Sunday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:52 pm:

I just posted on another thread that I think Manfred is gross.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 06:48 pm:

The word "sleazeball" comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:51 pm:

They tried to pin Selig down and say would he support a Zero Tolerance - one-strike and you are out - drug rule. He hemmed and hawwed and said he needed to think about it. A few minutes later, another congressman asked him if Baseball had a Zero Tolerence -one-strike and you are out - GAMBLING rule. He of course said they did.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Selig.

And then finally, the words I waited to hear: "Maybe baseball needs a change in the highest levels of management."

I admit, I was on the fence about Congress wasting my tax dollars on this but now that it's happened, I love it. I might even pay extra taxes if I can see more squirming and feet to the fire questioning of the Lords of Baseball and thier weasely lawyers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:27 pm:

Well in all seriousness a one strike and your out rule wouldn't be punishment that would fit the crime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

I am a big fan of Shays- he is of the Shays-Meehan Campraign Finance reform bill fame (The S-Mh is the house version of the McCain-Feingold CFR Bill) I am a big McCain/CFR junkie BTW...

I am kicking myslef but I missed the entire congressional hearing as I had to work - when is the replay? Arrrgh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:20 pm:

10am Sunday morning (it might be 7am) You can probably also watch a video stream of it at www.cspan.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:43 pm:

And if they are going to actually try to do something about steroids then they should be subpoena athletes from ALL sports not just baseball.
The quote above is from yc2578 in another post, which I was thinking when watching the Live or replays of the hearing on C-SPAN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:09 am:

I agree with the idea that ALL sports should adapt the International Olympic drug policy, as presented during the hearings. The only pro sport with a weaker steroid policy then MLB is the NHL. But, then again, is there still an NHL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:19 am:

I also agree that ALL sports leagues ... right down to high school ... should adopt the International Olympic drug policy. It's the only one with teeth and all organized sports should be on the same page. If the feds want to do something positive in all this, it would be to pass legislation mandating it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 09:06 am:

IOC policy is good because they have top of
the line testing, which is very expensive. High
schools could never afford this type of testing,
they cannot even afford to field sports teams,
let alone pay for sophisticated drug testing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 09:15 am:

Selig is such a low life piece of human wast man did that committe expose what a 2 faced liar and hypocrite this guy is, baseball is run by mobsters who dictate who they want as owners and lie to the public because they know who was juiced in the late 90's but it made baseball millions so they kept quiet.

Props to Canseco who called it , he said he would shake the core of baseball and he was right, big mac is a total wuss and baby who was completly juiced no should be shamed for not comming forward , this is a dark period for the game , with the king of scum bags running this sport selig is a piece of human shit who needs to be destroyed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:20 am:

Here, here, sactodavey. This reminds me of the movie 8 men out. Maybe the idiot owners will get rid of shitlig and replace him with someone like Kenesaw Mountain Landis. Sure they will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

I also got a gas out of Fehr, when Shays was grilling him Fehr brain cramped in mid thought/mid sentence and asked to have the question repeated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:41 pm:

Well, rocket, with regard to high school's not being able to afford such testing ... they really can't afford any. That is why congress asked whether mlb would be willing to contribute to the costs for the schools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

If all pro sports took a very hard line on performance enhancing drugs with a rigorous testing program, it would greatly reduce use by youngsters. When kids see the pros doing it and getting away with it, it is an invitation for them to do likewise. With a zero tolerance program, they would know and accept that getting juiced is not the way to get to the pros.

Would it eliminate all use by kids? Of course, not...just like we have not eliminated kids' use of booze, pot, crack, etc., etc. It is one of the great risks of adolescence. Many of us can look back on our own youth and wonder how we ever made it through alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

That is correct ballparkfrank, we really don't want to talk about our past either do we?! :)

...and how's that beautiful valley I miss so much...as I sit here in a sweltering heat after a huge thunderstorm...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.