Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

San Jose mayor seeks major league team

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: San Jose mayor seeks major league team
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 08:36 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-sanjose-bigleagueteam&prov=ap&type=lgns

March 20, 2005

PHOENIX (AP) -- San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales announced plans to submit a proposal to baseball in hopes of attracting a team to the city, which rests 50 miles south of San Francisco.

Gonzales held an informal news conference in front of Phoenix Muni Stadium before the start of Sunday's spring training game between the Oakland Athletics and San Francisco Giants.

``A major league team in San Jose just makes sense,'' Gonzales said. ``San Jose represents baseball for the future. If San Jose had an American League team, we would be the fifth-largest city in the league.''

San Jose, known as the heart of Silicon Valley, has been the center of an ongoing debate for the A's and Giants the past two decades.

San Francisco was given territorial rights to San Jose when the Giants moved west from New York in 1958. Since then, both Bay area teams have made inquiries into moving their franchises there. San Jose is one of the fastest growing cities in America.

``The city of San Jose, and not Peter Magowan, should decide if the city has a team,'' Gonzales said. ``I think a solution can be worked out between the owners and Major League Baseball.''

Magowan, the Giants' managing general partner, has consistently denied any request to forgo the team's rights to the area, and that stance has been supported by commissioner Bud Selig as recently as last year.

``Let him go,'' Magowan said, referring to Gonzales. ``It's a waste of time.''

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

Gonzalez should realize that San Jose had a chance to get a ML team and blew it a few years back when they failed to get the Giants a ballpark.

Now all he is doing is helping the A's owners get what they love, which is leverage to negotiate with Oakland under the threat of going elsewhere. The problem is that the "elwhere" would not be San Jose and the A's fans who live there would suffer the loss of their team as badly as many other A's fans from all over the Bay Area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:52 am:

Someone should tell Ron that it may be easier to get Magowan to move the Giants to move to San Jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:07 am:

If Gonzales and his San Jose booster really want MLB team, they should consider Tampa Bay. Even Las Vegas, according most articles, looked at all possiblities for getting a team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:41 am:

He's right about one thing ... there will never be 3 teams in the Bay Area. Maybe he ought to pool his desires with and move to Las Vegas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:21 pm:

Magowan, the Giants' managing general partner, has consistently denied any request to forgo the team's rights to the area, and that stance has been supported by commissioner Bud Selig as recently as last year.

``Let him go,'' Magowan said, referring to Gonzales. ``It's a waste of time.''

I love what Magowan says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 01:51 pm:

Move to Vegas, how about move to Oakland I'd certainly perfer him to, Brown, or IDLF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:47 pm:

I think it's disgraceful and embarrassing for the citizens of San Jose to watch their Mayor grovel at the feet of MLB. Gonzales has been told by Selig, by Magowan, and most importantly by Wolfe, that it's not going to happen and yet he keeps trying to undermine what's going on in Oakland.

Truly pathetic! Attempting to steal a franchise from a neighboring city. San Jose is like a young child that has to constantly get his parents attention by saying. Look, Mom and Dad...I've grown...Look, Look How big I am...Look, Look, I'm Big, I'm Big, Look Mommy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:39 pm:

Yeah just let us have the A's for crying out loud they have Silicon Valley, are they going to let that relocate to East Oakland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rockridgea on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 01:01 pm:

Ramjet-

My feelings excatly. Are they going to wake up one day and decide that they want our port? Since the lack of fortune 500 companies in Oakland, and the fact that we will be the 8th largest city without a port, we need to relocate the port to make it more port more profitable. You guys need to checkout this, www.baseballsanjose.com website, the logic that they spew, is so agitating. I posted a cpl thoughts and so did Explorer, is he out there? They don't get it. Also, I don't know if you have seen this blog, http://newballpark.blogspot.com. This guy is doing his homework.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.