Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Helton "Juiced" story

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Helton "Juiced" story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:27 am:

I heard about this story last night on ESPN Radio involving Todd Helton, former Rockies announcer and even Don Baylor:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2018289&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:58 pm:

He ought to be mad at Baylor if his conversation with him was supposed to be in confidence.

Then again, if he took Baylor out in the woods, he'd kick the s#!t out of Helton, steroids or not.

BTW, why was he taking creosote anyway? I thought they used that to line the pilings of the docks down on the bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

I suspect there are hundreds of similar stories and eyewitnessing by broadcasters and clubhouse guys.

BTW, I always liked Wayne Hagin and I'm glad to see his career has taken him to the top. I always enjoyed his radio apprenticeship with the masters King and Simmons back in the early 80's before Ray Fosse came along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 04:08 pm:

Well, he wasn't very bright to reveal that under any cicrumstances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

Creosote?? Maybe creatine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

i believe ray fosse was with the A's since 1981 and wayne hagin was the 4th guy in the booth when they used to have a guy do 1 inn and extra stuff, when hagin left ken ditto replaced him for 1 yr 1984 then they went back to 3 guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:49 pm:

Didn't Hagin broadcast with Monty Moore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:56 pm:

no he was gone by then i believe he cam along in 83 or 82 and left soon after the Ditto then he was so bad they decided to go with just 3 guys.

Monty moore came back in 88 when Lon simmons got to broadcast the 49ners again and Bill and Lon were going to be gone on sundays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 01:04 am:

Ray Fosse didn't join until 1986. Here are the broadcast teams of the early 80's (from the A's website history)

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Ray Fosse, Ted Robinson (TV) 1986

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Wayne Hagin, Ted Robinson (TV) 1985

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Wayne Hagin, Bill Rigney (TV) 1984

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Wayne Hagin, Bill Rigney (TV) 1983

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Wayne Hagin, Harmon Killebrew (TV) 1982

Bill King, Lon Simmons, Wayne Hagin, Wayne Walker (TV) 1981

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:49 pm:

Mr Helton couldn't be reached for a follow up as he was having 1 full pound of new tissue removed from his face and head.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.