Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"Beane reaches out to Byrnes"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "Beane reaches out to Byrnes"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:20 am:

GM Calls outfielder to explain offseason trade rumors.

"It gave me a strong feeling that I would be with the team this years," Byrnes said. "It's nice to know."

"Byrnes is a very valuable guy and an important fabric of this team," Beane said. "We would have to be pretty impressed with what we got before we'd move Eric. In the same breath because of the market we're in and our situation we always have to be open-minded."

Beane said he owed it to Byrnes to call him and offer him an explanation about what took place during the offseason.

"I've got a good relationship with Byrnes," Beane said. "Byrnes handled the speculation so well. It's probably a little disrespectful not to at least give him some information."

Joe Roderick, cctimes

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/11199324.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:29 am:

I wonder if Beane's decision to call was influenced by the somewhat bitter tone of Hudson's remarks at the end of "Aces."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:51 am:

"It's probably a little disrespectful not to at least give him some information."

Maybe Beane has been reading my posts. I've certainly accused BB of being disrespectful of his treatment of Byrnes in the past.

What's next? Will Macha apologize for his big mouth and complete and utter lack of tact when talking about players to the press?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 10:27 am:

Funny, after reading about that conversation, I still can't tell if Beane was playing nice because he's going to trade Byrnes, or if he's apologizing for dangling him out there in the first place.

Methinks it's a little of both. Gotta cover all bases. He'd make for a very good politician.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:21 am:

kkdaz, I haven't read aces. I'm not familiar with Huddy's comments. Pls fill me in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:24 pm:

ssblip - you're so right about that.

glad to hear we're not moving byrnesey!

kkdaz - yeah please fill us in!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.