Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Roster and Roles

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Roster and Roles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 01:07 pm:

CF Kotsay-Continue to provide solid D and on base
C Kendall-Get on base set the table
3B Chavez-Clean off the bases, live up to contract
DH Durazo-Finish off what Chavez doesn't
LF Byrnes-Finish off or set table, clubhouse leader
1b Hatteberg-Solid D and timely hitting, clubhouse
SS Crosby-Continue to climb the curve 25 dingers
RF Swisher-learn the ropes
2B Ellis-Solid D up middle timely hitting

C Melhuse same as past 2 years
UTL Ginter spot starter, good D, right handed pop
UTL Scutaro solid D, late inning sub
OF Kielty make projections for 2004
OF Thomas speed and d off the bench.

SP Zito-lead the staff, regain 2002 form
SP Harden-climb the curve 18-20 wins
SP Haren-finally full time job, lets see
SP Blanton-more pressure without 2 studs
SP Meyer-will start in Sac, but will fill role

CL Dotel-1 inning pitcher
SU Cruz-1 inning, pen only, no spot starter
SU Calero-1 inning
SU Rincon-more pressure as only lefty
LR Duscherer-continue to grow as a pen guy
LR Yabu, Etherton spot start and 5 hole early

Street, Johnson will be in Sac to start and depending on situations we'll see them sometime in Oakland. Cust maybe a guy to watch as the season progresses, may step into Durazo's role if things roll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

raider great stuff. Think you're wrong about street, however. Slusser indicated that he's a lock to make the roster. I'm not sure what he can improve upon in AAA. He's the real deal by all reports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 01:57 pm:

Street will make the team, Scutaro won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

yeah yc. neither will meyer in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

what we need is a poll or contest....
WHO WILL GUESS THE 25 MAN TEAM ROSTER ???

maybe the winner can get a trip to hawaii as a prize ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

Agree with yc, Street will make the team, Scutaro won't. Although it is likely both will break with the team since the 5th starter is likely to spend his first week or two (maybe more, if Baltimore weather is typical) at AAA. Although I must add, Ginter's D sucks. If he has any options he could end up at AAA to start the season.

In the meantime, looking at the number of runs given up by the A's today, no one is pitching. Only one inning in which they didn't give up a run. Wasn't Haren scheduled to start today? I'm sure Street got an inning or two, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:51 pm:

Yes, Haren pitched. I think we've been through the whole rotation now, including 3-4 candidates for the 5th spot, with every single pitcher getting bombed his last outing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 05:25 pm:

ginter won't be AAA. we need RH pop and bb's ego wouldn't allow that anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 06:53 pm:

With our pitching, I think we have a lot of upside. Zito has something to prove but in the past few years has been a bit spotty. Harden will be great when he finally gets it all together. But I think this is going to be a long year for the bullpen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 07:09 pm:

I dont see us having a weak pen at all. In fact...it looks very strong. ESPECIALLY with Street in it. Cruz and Duke are going to have HUGE roles and I think they will thrive in them. I dont have faith in DOTEL at all. I never did. He'll blow a bunch of saves by giving up the bomb that ties or loses the game...and Street will have to come in and fix things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 09:18 pm:

what i meant by a long year for the pen is that they are going to get a lot of work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 09:21 pm:

Well, both Ginter and Thomas hit their 2nd HRs of the Spring. Byrnes hit #5.

Street didn't pitch today, after all. It may be long year for the pen but only with re to their getting a lot of work. I think the pen is going to be our strong suit. And, for the record, I DO have faith in Dotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:14 am:

RFF, most definitely, we improved our depth in the pen by sacrificing guys who can go 7-8 innings. As an added bonus, hopefully we won't see Dotel, or our closer in the 8th inning. In games where we are ahead, I can see Rincon, Cruz and Calero getting started in the 6th inning and work for no more than an inning each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:20 am:

Alomar retired, so would Billy trade Scooter the
the D'Rays?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:26 am:

Nah, I think the Rays are going with Gotay, or is it Cantu, but they have a good prospect there. If there were a chance to move Scooter he will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:23 am:

I think your question has merit, rocket. Knowing the A's, if Scutaro doesn't make the team ... and I don't think he will ... I think Beane will try to get him on someone else's major league roster. And the Rays have a dire need at 2nd base. I believe the A's are rather thrilled with what they've seen in Omar Quintanilla and Macha is already on record saying he would have no qualms calling him up in case of injury.

Interesting comment I saw yesterday. Macha believes that Scutaro turns the doubleplay better than anyone in the league.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

yeah dj, one that that hasn't been mentioned about bb is how he looks out for guys he deals. I mean Huddy to ATl, and Mulder to STL. That's pretty cool. I'd like them to deal scooter if he doesn't make the squad. Of course, we wouldn't get much more than a minor leaguer (not even a prospect).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:45 pm:

I just wish Ginter was better at defense. Neither of the two have much range, but Scutaro plays everything he gets to and was either #1 or #3 (can't recall which) in fewest errors for a 2b last season. I think Ginter's range may be a tad less, but he also makes too many errors for my money. If they keep him in lieu of Scutaro, he'd better be the offensive player they hope he will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

I actually think Ginter's poor "D" (and the fact he's unproven) might keep BB from dealing bryrnes. Otherwise, we'd have zero RH pop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:56 pm:

With Scutaro's homer today, I have a ray of hope they will keep him and not Ginter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

You're STILL dreaming Sacto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 05:39 pm:

I like Scooty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 06:32 pm:

I like Scooter too, and what he did for our clib last year, but I think they are going to keep Ginter and Ellis, Scutaro will probably go to AAA and get called up in a month or two or will get traded for prospects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 06:42 pm:

don't get too hyped about the prospects we'd get for scooter...his value ain't that high...do love his performance though. he's not a AAA player, his a big leaguer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:33 pm:

Yeh, dealing Scooter to a team which would likely keep him in the bigs would likely be Beane's main goal. It would be nice if we could get a decent LH reliever though.

Speaking of today's game, it looks to me like Meyer has just solidified a return to AAA. Especially if Etherton comes up well tomorrow. At least I think he's pitching tomorrow. I see Street gave up another run. Scooter and Bocachica were the only A's with 2 hits apiece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

Including a bomb for Marco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:55 pm:

yeah dj, a lefty closer would be cool. makes sense. I think bb could swing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 09:23 am:

Well, they're not saying it is serious, but Crosby is having his ribs x-rayed. He had to quit during BP, after being hit in the ribs the prior day. So, the A's are likely to hold onto Scooter for now, I would guess. Not only did he have a good offensive day yesterday, evidently he made a spectacular play and (glove) flip to Ellis(ss) to turn a DP. Also, Swisher's swing/timing is way off. Thomas & Kielty could get more playing time than anticipated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 10:11 am:

Please, they're not going to get rid of Ginter. He has legitimate HR power from the right side and can play (barely adequately) all over the field. With Ellis coming off a season-long lay-off but looking good in ST, he'll be the starter, but Ginter will get lots of starts, plus he'll be used to rest Chavez and Durazo or fill in for an injury. Keeping Scutaro instead of him just is not going to happen. Scutaro's only chance was to clearly beat out Ellis or for the team to decide on carrying only 11 pitchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

dansward...no question. the a's have a scarcity of RH bats. ginter ain't goin anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 03:21 pm:

Hmmm. Did someone say they were getting rid of Ginter? I must've missed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 03:56 pm:

yeah missed that one too dj.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 07:09 pm:

"Hmmm. Did someone say they were getting rid of Ginter? I must've missed it."

Hmmm - strange you missed it when you wrote:

deajay: "Although I must add, Ginter's D sucks. If he has any options he could end up at AAA to start the season."

sactofan: "With Scutaro's homer today, I have a ray of hope they will keep him and not Ginter."

I KNOW they're not getting rid of Ginter, I was just responding to these notions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

dansward, yes, I am fully aware of what I wrote. I still ask did somebody say we were getting rid of Ginter? I sure didn't. His D does suck, however. "If he has any options he could end up at AAA to start the season." Well, he could (but I highly doubt he will) even if he did, he's still in the organization. Hey, if they decide Meyer ... or Street, for that matter ... need more seasoning at AAA, do you interpret that as we're getting rid of them? "Getting rid of them" ... at least to me ... means dealing to another team. Take a look at my prior post, where I did indeed say in so many words they may "get rid" of Scutaro. But that really wouldn't be "getting rid in order to dump", they would try to place him with a team who would keep him in the majors.

I did miss sacto's comment, however. So, you answered my question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:56 am:

Yea, I would think Beane will work something out to keep scooter in the bigs. He sent Bobby Smith down who has major league experience(rather than cutting altogether), there's Bocachica who also has experience there too. We also have Ginter as well. I would like to keep Scooter around as a backup for Crosby too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:13 pm:

Well, given Ginter's BELOW average defense, I would not be surprised to see them keep all three with the big team.

Frankly, I'm major disappointed in Ginter. Here's a guy knowingly competing for a job ... one of them a top defensive 2b in the game ... and he didn't bother availing himself of Wash's infield instruction? I'm surprised it is optional. Anyway, he didn't show much common sense on that one. Maybe there is hope though, because he has suddenly seen the light after more than 3 wks into ST, and will be joining Wash's early morning group. The other thing, too, is that though Scutaro's range is somewhat limited (but seemingly better than Ginter's), he has proven to otherwise be a darn fine defensive 2b. And that's without counting Macha's proclamation that he thinks he is the best at turning the DP, in the league.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

Another bomb for Scooter today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:34 pm:

studying hitters, knowing the pitches, Wash's help = Scooter overcoming limited range to be a good defensive 2B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:12 pm:

I like Scooty! (or have I said that before?)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.