Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

San Jose taking lessons from DC???(article posted)

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: San Jose taking lessons from DC???(article posted)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

Fantastic post, mroakland. You're exactly right. You should submit that to the newspapers as a letter to the sports editor. I'd love to see it in the Chronicle tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

mroakland: very good points, I agree with almost everything you said, which I why I want to the A's to stay in Oakland forever, and why I joined the OAFC. I'm sorry if anyone misinterpreted what I was posting earlier, which is that I just don't think terrorital rights would hold up against a court challenge. That said, if they did, that would be OK with me, b/c it would mean the A's wouldn't go to San Jose :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 06:15 pm:

Great post mroakland. You are right on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

Thanks guys,

You know what's really interesting is that the Giants would actually be a much better fit for San Jose than the A's. They would have a built in fan base, along with the corporate support they already receive from San Jose.

They would have to deal with a few less negatives than the A's would. They would have to deal with the alianation factor from die-hard San Franciscans, along with accessibility of their fan base, but at a lower level since most of their fans already come from the South Bay and the Peninsula.

So, the best option for San Jose would either be to lure the Giants,(I would hate to see the Oakland/SF rivalry disappear)or better yet get their own team.

What do you think? Three franchises, two million fans apiece, and we all live happily ever after?

There's no question that a franchise in San Jose would hurt the Giants much more than the A's. This is precisely why Magowan will never allow a team in San Jose, other than maybe his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

Hmmm. And they put a minor league team in SBC? Guess that would give the 49ers a new home, though :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:59 pm:

Let's be real, Bed Selig would never let the Giants move out of S.F. Not becuase S.F. is such a magnificent city (which I never thought it was), but because it seems like all of baseball is just hypnotized by the overrated SBC Park. SBC is nice but if I want to get a good view of the bay I'll just go to Jack London Square.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

NOW NOW!!! I am not a Giants fan at all!!!...but... SF is a gorgeous city and an awesome place. I've been all over the country and seen many big cities and SF is still one of the top 3... no doubt. Does Oakland have all the potential SF has..YES!!!! and a new ballpark will put us in the right direction. We'll be the sane return to normalalcy that SF isnt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:39 pm:

Why don't they just rename the A's "The San Jose Athletics of Oakland" and be done with it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

don't know why there's talk of SJ since Wolfe has ruled it out as has selig.

BTW, I moved to the south bay. hate it. no character. imagine hercules times 100. blah. all gnats fans down here too.

btw, in two years the a's will be the darlings of the bay as the gnats will go back to sucking once bonds retires. Other than Lowry and J. Williams the future of that team is baaaaad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

I agree, SF is a gorgeous city. It will be interesting to see how many fans continue to pay the price of a ticket for that view (which they can get free) after Barroids retires or moves on to the Angels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 05:29 pm:

Well, everyone has their own opinion, and I respect that to the utmost. But I just think that SF is too overated. Yes, SF has wonderful things about it, but Oakland and the rest of the Bay Area does also, and I think that Oakland's beauty is not showcased enough because everyone seems to be in love with San Francisco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

I think the waterfront from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge is very nice. Also, the views of the Bay and the Marin Headlands. But the enterior of San Francisco a beautiful city? I've stood at 24th & Mission and did a 360 and I didn't see anything particularly beautiful.

Just like Oakland, it's where you go. If I take a camera and go to the Tenderloin, Hunters Point, the Western Addition, Visitation Valley, or the Mission... it's just not very beautiful, and I can portray San Francisco that way.

That's what the SF media tends to do to Oakland. How many times do you see the media in the Rockridge, Montclair, or Piedmont Ave. areas? And when they do show up, they pretend that Montclair is a seperate city, Rockridge is in Berkeley, and Piedmont Ave is in Piedmont. They reduce "Oakland" to the poorest high crime areas of the city.

In San Francisco, it's just the opposite. Hunters Point, the Tenderloin, Visitation Valley, etc. are always distinguished from "San Francisco". Particularly when the SF media is doing a crime story.

Anyway, Let's Go Oakland!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 08:32 pm:

Hey, I was born and raised in Oakland, so I know what it is like to live in the shadow of SF. There are some pretty areas in Oakland, but the truth is, unlike SF there aren't as many vantage spots where one can easily view that beauty, as there is in SF. Most of Oakland's "beauty" is up in the hills and around Lake Merritt, and of course near the waterfront. But I wouldn't call the many sites in SF overrated. Do they have crappy areas? Of Course, just as Oakland has and every city has. But from many vantage points .. like it or not ... SF is a beautiful city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

Maybe deajay, but I agree with Mr.Oakland, the media does try to take the nice parts of Oakland and make them seem like there not in Oakland. There is more or Claremont in Oakland, and Piedmont Ave. never enters the "city" of Piedmont. The media has even made some of the residents who live around the Montclair area actually think that they do not live in Oakland.
S.F. is nice, but all I'm saying is that S.F.is not as spectacular as some might want to believe. But then again maybe it's becuase I've lived in the Bay Area all of my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 09:22 pm:

For years the local SF media covered up many of the murders that took place in the city, particularly under the Willie Brown years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:18 am:

It's not that SF is beautiful, it's the area in which it exists. SF looks like almost any American city. Except for the fact that it's located in such a beautiful area. Mt. Tam to the north. The Oakland/Berkeley Hills to the east. The pacific to the west. We live in a gorgeous place with wonderful weather. Admittedly SF is not NY with it's collection of skyscrapers or London or Rome or Paris. SF and Oakland are just in a beautiful setting. Even SJ has Mt. Hamilton and the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:26 am:

But I have always thought if not ugly, San Jose is totally blah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:35 am:

hey! i'm from san jose (well i lived there from 1988-2002) - now i'm in davis - now that's a town that's... blah. san jose is not a bad city, it's just an overgrown suburb. but it's pretty safe, and pretty friendly. still, i think the bay area is probably one of the most beautiful places i have seen where's there's a major city. and there is nowhere like SF! i love that city. problems or not, i'd love to live there one day (if i can afford it)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 07:23 pm:

Teckgraph & Deajay both make good points. Also, Kevin, they're still covering up the homicides. Did you know that SF has already recorded 24 homicides for the year? After the first two months of the year San Francisco was up an incredible 40% ahead of last year's pace. Oakland has recorded 14 so far this year. Have you noticed that the SF media has put away their scorecard? I'm sure they'll bring out again as soon as Oakland has a spike in homicides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:20 am:

rff, davis is my alma matter! It's a great town, the more you stay there, the more it grows on you. I lived in SF for 2.5 years, it was a good experience, but all the problems wear you down after a while- the traffic, the parking, the parking tickets, the homeless, the stenches, the crampt-ness, the wind chill factor in July & the lack of sun in the summer. Otherwise, it's fun living there, but count your blessings in Davis too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:55 am:

Bear in mind that the murder stats in SF and Oaktown must be compared in per capita terms. Unfortunately, that makes SF better since it has more than double Oaktown's pop.

Know that I now live in Oakland (after a four year absence) so I would really like to see Oakland improve, but sadly we're not there yet.

And shouldnt this thread be in the off field section?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:45 am:

The 2000 Census sez SF's population is 776,733. The same Census has Oakland at 399,484. The per capta murder rate is higher in Oakland, but not by much.

Funny how perceptions are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:38 am:

totally jeffreyb, it's racism if you ask me. remember how during the Texas chair throwing incident they blamed the fans. do you think they would have blamed the cheese eaters in SF? heck no. I will say this, after living in the sterile south bay for a year, i've found that oakland and SF are a helluva lot more like eachother than people admit. major difference to me is that the town's got better weather, is more accessible, less pretentious. SF is more scenic and touristy...can't front on that one.

Plus, SF has Amici's Oakland has Zachary's pizza. Nuff said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:58 am:

Here's a huge intangible Oakland has: The middle class that lives here has to consciously be willing to see thru the misperceptions of Oakland. Thus you get a population that welcomes diversity, and is just more INTERESTING than almost any place on the planet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:18 am:

It's not racism it's city-ism! SF has plenty of racial diversity itself.
SF has a HUGE inferiority complex with NY, and has to put down every city around it and constantly trash L.A. to make itself feel better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 08:40 pm:

It's the fact that San Francisco comprises roughly 11% of the total population of the Bay Area. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, have well over 50% of the population of their regions.

Oakland is a threat to San Francisco's dominance of the region. Oakland dominates the shipping industry, has the fastest growing airport in the nation, and the Oakland Metro Area is growing faster, and is larger, than the SF Metro Area. You throw in better weather, along with three pro sports franchises, and you see why SF feels threatened. They resent the fact that Oakland has its own institutions and identity, and won't genuflect at the foot of the Bay Bridge.

This is where the SF media comes in. This is where the daily homicide scorecard (only when Oakland is ahead)comes in handy. This is when high school dropout rates are amplified. The San Francisco Media Machine has managed to reduce a culturally,economically, and geograghically diverse city of 57 sq miles, to a small area comprising of the poorest most crime plagued neighborhoods in the south western part of the city. This is what they determine Oakland is. This is how they've marginalized the threat to their regional dominance and their insecurity complex.

Also, don't forget the 4 to 0 lead in World Series trophies.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.