Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

It's official! A's have new owners

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: It's official! A's have new owners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:00 pm:

Got it off the espn wire service. Took the owners all of 5 minutes via conference call to approve the sale. AP speculated with Fisher as majority owner, the A's "may not be a low-budget much longer." Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:01 pm:

"may not be a low-budget team" Geez, I do a lousy job proof-reading my own stuff. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

Here's a link:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/30/sports/s143814S97.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

Chronicle has a little more on it than espn. Supposedly players excited over the change. Heck, how could they not be?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/30/sports/s143814S97.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:13 pm:

Great minds think alike, Deajay!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:24 pm:

"Schott served as the managing partner and will remain involved with the club in some capacity, maintaining a minority ownership."

Won't we ever get rid of this guy???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

Hey, Chris, you must've been a second before me. :)

Jenmed, I like this quote better.

From Wolff: "I consider it a great privilege to have my name associated with a franchise that has such a rich and proud history as the Oakland Athletics. I am excited about our future and wishing to continue the A's tradition of excellence both on and off the field."

A happy day, indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

I guess OAFC's going to have to change the mission statement? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 05:20 pm:

Oops, never mind. I thought the part about "New owners now!" was still in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

"Schott is the first Oakland owner to leave without winning a World Series."

This statement sums up most of Mr. Schott's legacy. Felt sorry for Mr. Hofmann who wanted his legacy to be building a ballpark for his hometown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

So Schott being the only Oakland owner without a WS win mean he will leave with his tail between his legs? DOUBT IT!

As stated... Schott is still holdin on by Wolff's coat tails!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 09:07 pm:

Yeah, the New Owners Now demand was dropped somewhere along the way; i think it was when Schott was seeming to go along with the idea of a new Oakland Stadium, and it transmorfed into Keep the A's in Oakland, which was not a big change, and in spirit with the original idea.

Billy Beane came to our original public meeting, and was a real mench, standing up to us giving him hell over getting rid of Rickey Henderson. I've had a lot of respect for Billy ever since that day.

My own view is that the best part of the Schott era was Sandy Alderson going to the commissioner's office. Sandy really was the one who made it possible, and really led the way, for Schott to go cheap.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.