Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Redevelopment

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Redevelopment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 08:24 am:

A pivotal part of Lew Wolff's business career was his participation in the redevelopment of downtown SJ. If I remember correctly, the Coliseum sits in a redevelopment zone. Me thinks this is no coincidence.

Fisher is putting up the bucks, Wolff is the managing partner. From all reports, Wolff is a huge baseball fan, even participating in Giants fantasy camp, and previously having ownership interests in the Warriors, Blues, and an independent baseball team. I think this is a guy who looked at the A's stadium situation, and sees nothing but opportunity, where others saw problems. I think the A's need for a new stadium, and the redevelopment zone opportunity, makes this deal for Wolff.

I'm excited - not only will the A's get a new stadium, but East Oakland will get a shot in the arm. Let's just hope the Coliseum redevelopment zone moves along faster than downtown redevelopment did. Does anyone else remember how long the City Center development was a vacant lot?

But, remember, in the end it all comes down to pitching!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:38 am:

Bleacherdave,

I agree with you that Wolff may sense an opportunity in the Coliseum redevelopment zone. Also, you're right that it took a long time to develop City Center. The great thing about it, is that it finally came to fruition.

City Center, along with Frank Ogawa Plaza, Preservation Park, Old Oakland, Chinatown, and Jack London Square, give downtown Oakland the potential to be an incredible place to locate a ballpark.

A ballpark downtown, incorporated in a mixed use development, would create a critical mass that would eccelerate the already strong interest in housing development downtown. Also, this would showcase the city, while providing the Oakland A's with a charming urban ballpark with a population of over 75,000 office workers at its door step. This, along with having easy regional access via two BART stations located on the Broadway corridor, would make a downtown ballpark a huge success.

Wolff and the A's need to make a statement and build a ballpark which will capture the imagination of the Bay Area, as well as endure as an architectural treasure and tourist attraction. The ballpark would compliment all the great architecture such as City Hall, the Rotunda Building, the Tribune building etc. which already exists in historic downtown Oakland.

Build it downtown! Make a statement! And allow A's fans to rejoice in the fact that our team will be forever inbeded in the fabric of our community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:34 am:

The A's fans deserve this.
I hope they don't put it up for a vote in the city of Oakland.
They did this in SF twice and got voted down big time before SBC was built with private funds. When SF VOTERS were voting down a stadium, the media kept saying the FANS didn't care about their team.
This will of course happen again in Oakland and there will be article after article about why A's fans don't care and the A's might as well ship off to Vegas.
I hope there's a better solution than to put it up for a vote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:34 am:

The A's fans deserve this.
I hope they don't put it up for a vote in the city of Oakland.
They did this in SF twice and got voted down big time before SBC was built with private funds. When SF VOTERS were voting down a stadium, the media kept saying the FANS didn't care about their team.
This will of course happen again in Oakland and there will be article after article about why A's fans don't care and the A's might as well ship off to Vegas.
I hope there's a better solution than to put it up for a vote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:39 am:

Any spot in Oakland's city limits will great for the city. Hopefully, the debate over the location won't slow down the process of building a new ballpark.

Bleacher Dave, you're right it comes down to pitching, and you forgot Wave 'em High.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pokayoats on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

Stop getting me all excited about a ballpark you jerks! My saliva glands are working overtime because of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

BD, long time no see!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:05 pm:

Hey Eyleen! Well, it's spring time, and a (not so) young man's fancy turns to the green and gold.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

A (not so) young woman's as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:39 am:

Here's what Wolf came out and said...

He said the A's could not afford all of what is estimated to be a $400-million bill but would pay 25% and would consider involvement in real estate development surrounding the park and elsewhere in Oakland that could help the city and county recoup investment costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

When did he say that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 05:03 pm:

LA Times article......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

I believe that the Coliseum area is already designated as a redevelopment area and a ballot measure is not required. Wolff and Company see an opportunity to use those future tax dollars to help fund the building of a stadium (via a redevelopment bond). The only potential fly in the ointment is the Governator. One activity that has been cited as detrimental to the the state's fiscal situation is all the tax dollars being siphoned off into redevelopment projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 08:03 am:

the coliseum redelopment area takes in about 11 square miles.Just so You know. Speaking of redelopment, have they got anything started yet on Uptown?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

nope, I was around there yesterday and it's just the same ol parking lot with what seems like a million cars parked there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:29 pm:

Uptown is just a pipedream now unless Wolf can work a deal with Forrest City incorporating the park within those housing parcels. Though the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I just drive around downtown Oakland occassionaly and the place has so much potential and an entertainment district is just what the part of the city needs to draw outsiders to that area.

Uptown would be perfect righ in between the two major work areas of downtown Oakland. North of the Lake Merritt skyscrapers and east of the city center downtown area.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.