Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

BEANE RE-SIGNS THROUGH 2012!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: BEANE RE-SIGNS THROUGH 2012!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 01:24 am:

Man, this is great news. He's also a part-owner now. What a perfect way to start the season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-wolff1apr01,1,584017.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

www.athleticsnation.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By murf on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:13 am:

Beane has been a fantastic GM. He has kept the A's a winning franchise despite economic troubles... He should have been a candidate for the World Bank head, given his prowess for making lemonade out of lemons...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 07:59 am:

This is an awesome article! A few highlights!

Wolff said he would like to boost the team's annual revenue from about $100 million to about $150 million enough, he hopes, to where the A's can contribute to baseball's revenue-sharing fund instead of dipping into it. He said he planned to add a few minority investors with expertise in various ventures the A's could explore to raise revenue, possibly including a broadcasting outlet.

Also....

He is adamant, however, that he will not consider San Jose, part of the San Francisco Giants' territory under major league rules. San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales said last month that he planned to contact Wolff after the purchase became official and urge him to move the A's there.

Finally...

Although Las Vegas and Portland, Ore., could offer alternatives, several high-ranking baseball officials are not enthusiastic about either site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:37 am:

Here's my favorite line...

"This ownership is interested in winning first and being economically viable."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:10 am:

this is great news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:52 am:

The article also makes an interesting point. That the A's (even though they are characterised as a small market) were sold for the same price as the Angels because the A's have been profitable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:58 am:

And the quote that blew my mind:

Commissioner Bud Selig said he had no problem with Wolff wanting a (stadium) deal done by season's end - "They've had enough conversations," Selig said - but added that "Wolff should not look elsewhere. I want him to concentrate on getting something done in Oakland," Selig said.

Also, I agree with what Monte Poole said in his column today. Wolff needs to show the fans he cares. I think he will. As someone said elsewhere, he seems to be a cross a btw. Haas and Schott. More of an outgoing personality, will likely be willing to spend more to fill a need, but to also be frugally responsible by keeping the organization in the black. Anyway, that's my read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:00 am:

Oh, does anybody know the time of the introductory conference this morning? Will it be televised or broadcast, at all?

Further, did you all notice the comments about his interest in an A's brodcasting network? I went through the article quickly and will read more thoroughly later, but I thought there was something in there about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:09 am:

This is awesome. Even if we do get roughed up this year and don't win 80-90 games...we still have soooo much to look forward to. What a great way to start the year!!! I was not expecting all of this. NEW OWNERS, A HALL OF FAME G.M. is sticking with us...a solid push for a new stadium IN OAKLAND... LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:13 am:

oaktowngreen, I couldn't agree more. A VERY happy day indeed, for A's fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:14 am:

I'd also like to know how the Bay Area media let the LA Times scoop them on Beane's deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:17 am:

I'd also like to know how the Bay Area media let the LA Times scoop them on Beane's deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:26 am:

deajay....the dreaded "DOUBLE POST" LOL... OUCH!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:32 am:

Hmmm, how'd that happen? Usually if you (accidentally) try to post a 2nd time, it tells you it's already been posted. Strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

interesting. let's see...the team MAKES MONEY.

why change a thing?

the owners pay nothing for the team and it rewards them, thanks to billy, with wins and fans.

why do we need a new ballpark or a new broadcast network or anything else at all?

i'm open to new ideas given that we've defined a problem in need of a solution. but i haven't seen that problem defined yet. somebody...anybody...tell me what's wrong with this picture than needs solving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:42 pm:

Both Beane and Mike Crowley have been given a % of ownership. At the conference, each flanked Wolff, as he referred to them as "partners." A great day indeed. Also, interesting. the first person who put the bug in Wolff's ear about looking into ownership of A's, several years ago, was Bud Selig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 01:52 pm:

>I'd also like to know how the Bay Area media let the LA Times scoop them on Beane's deal.

- That's a good question deajay. Actually, no it's not. This is the most pathetic local coverage i've ever seen of a pro sports team. I like slusser OK, but she's awfully by-the-book, and never breaks any news before beane gives her the OK. The Merc has basically decided not to cover the A's, and the Trib...oy, the Trib.

A friend recently asked me who had the best A's coverage, the Trib, Chron, or Merc. I responded none of the above. It's gotta be the CC Times or Sac Bee.

I'm a journalist, and know the feeling of getting beat on a story all too well. Slusser is likely hiding under her desk with a flask right about now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

this is great news... i was just hoping it wasn't a dreaded april fool's joke!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

I'm not a resident but I'm stoked about the change. Great job people.....
by and by the sf media just caught up

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/04/01/sports/s135234S41.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

I still don't get why Selig rejected the Mens Warehouse/Joe Morgan ownership group but accepted Wolff. Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:04 pm:

Milo, in Susan's behalf and that of other beat writers. As a journalist, you surely know that if a beat writer does not ... or cannot ... confirm with the brass certain things, but goes ahead and writes them, they could find themselves on the outside looking in. At the least, they lose the trust of those "who count" and they will get next to nothing in the future. Ask Rick Hurd.

Yeh, sometimes it's going to cost them a scoop, but other times it's going to save them the embarrassment of printing something which is not ... or totally not ... valid. And the good writers and those with integrity, are simply not going to go to press with something they can't confirm.

You mention the cctimes, but I can tell you this with full knowledge, not everything you've read ... at least with re to the A's ... therein, has been factual because some writers in the past went to press before digging deeper to get all the facts. As for the sac bee, wasn't it in just the last year they replaced one of their writers for feigning attendance at a game(s)and doing his story while watching it on tv?

Both the times and bee are fine papers, and have shown when something is amiss they seem to act on it. They have some good writers, IMO, and provide some good stories. I enjoy the different writers and articles. I've become particularly impressed with Josh Suchon (yes, of the Trib)and I admit I am very partial to Susan Slusser. I'm sure many of the others are the same, but I happen to know Susan is not going to print with a "side story" she can't confirm. Columnists who write as much opinion as fact, can do that; beat writers can't ... not for long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:13 pm:

And to answer my own question. In this case, I think it was a matter of Wolff (who resides in LA) or someone close to him, letting the story out. When Beane was asked about his future yesterday by the local media, he said, "I cannot comment." I know anytime during my career when I received a promotion, out of respect for my boss(es), I kept my mouth shut until they made the announcement. That's generally the way it is in most businesses, I believe. I think in this case it may have been a matter of geography and where the boss lives, allowing LA to scoop the Bay Area writers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:42 pm:

Oh boy... Beane not only signs.. but is now an owner too!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/04/01/bc.bba.athleticsowners.ap/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

Milo, also Susan has hardly any reason to hide under a desk. And I vehemently disagree about her never getting any scoops. You must not read her closely, because she most certainly does. Also, I notice that other beat writers tend to often come out with tidbits Susan has already given the day before.

IMO she is the best beat writer in the Bay Area and beyond. FYI, there are also many out-of-state fans who read her first religiously ... and for good reason. We're very lucky to have her as the A's beat writer, period. I fully appreciate knowing I can trust what she says. and enjoy how she says it.

As for the sacbee. Marcos Breton is a terrific columnist. Beyond that, in the sports dept? Heck, some days it seems they don't even have a story on the A's. Hey, I read all the papers religiously (after first reading Susan and the Chron) and I can honestly say, none of them have a beat writer who comes close to her work, IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

Breton is a good WRITER, but I'm not so sure about his sports acumen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:39 pm:

I am absolutely LOVING that Beane is part owner of the Oakland A's!!!
What a great future we have to look forward to as A's fans!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:47 pm:

it could also backfire like given a ego more power to wield, like Lil has said now more then ever the manager will be his puppet and the team will never steal bases hit n run it ;ll be 3 run bombs n a cloud of dust baseball.

and when he makes a trade wether the player is a bust or not we will be forced to play him and prove the Lord they god beane right in every trade AKA Kielty.

yes thier are down sides to giving beane more power with ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:06 am:

Leave it to sactodavey to find the dark cloud in the silver lining...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:52 am:

I shouldn't do this, but if you want to talk about a downer, read Bob Padecky (pressdemocrat). No url, as you know I'm having no luck with theirs. Basically, in a nutshell, (and I paraphrase) he says the fans will never support a team in Oakland and that Wolff has bought it to move it, blah, blah. Anyway, I am in the middle of a letter to him, which is going to be rather lengthy. Of course, it includes comments about how biased the pressdemocrat in their Giants/A's coverage and how tired I am of seeing Cheater Bond's mug on the front page of the pressdemocrat. Also commenting on the negative media coverage. He thinks they'll move to LV. I haven't addressed that yet, but you bet I will. Bet he doesn't even know anything about how low their media market is rated, nor that the higher ups in mlb are not fond of LV or Portland as future mlb team sites. Anyway, I am still angry over the column ... which was in today's (Friday's) morning paper ... before the press conference, even. I suppose he'll have something negative to say about Beane's ownership share. It will be interesting to see other columnists' take on that in tomorrow's papers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:47 am:

hey deajay - I'll take your word for it as I don't follow all the coverage so closely. I just know that, as a Chicago native, the sports coverage out here pales by comparison. You're right, of course, that Slusser is a good writer, and dependable -- I gather she doesn't print anything business-wise w/out Beane's OK. That's fine and all, but not really in the spirit of independent, objective reporting. You can have it both ways if you're good. I was encouraged by her DR stories this winter, however. She seems to be getting more enterprising, if slowly.

And getting beat on a story like this most certainly stings for her. It's probably the biggest story about the A's in the last few years, aside from the new ownership news. But as you say, Wolff and/or his staff probably did leak it, likely to the real estate reporter at the Times, who passed it along to the sports dept.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

Milo, first of all, NOBODY in the Bay Area got that story ... only LA Times. It is not necessarily that some local writers didn't know about it, it was more a respect issue, methinks, that nothing was leaked up here.

First thing in the morning, I read just about all the sports news (and other news too, believe it or not) following Susan's/Chron's coverage. So, I forget much more than I read ... and throwing in all the books I read ... sometimes my head swims. But a more recent scoop that Susan had was Chavez' contract signing, which she wrote a few days before the formal announcement. Also, if you note today, she and John Shea (co-writing the article) this morning, were the only writers to have the info of Beane's and Crowley's ownership % in the team. All other writers simply printed that Wolff preferred not to divulge that, not having that info.

There is no doubt Chicago area, but especially the East Coast papers have "scoops" all the time. The thing is, if you follow closely, many of them are what I call "Peter Gammons' scoops" and in reality aren't scoops (though I guess many readers think so) because more often than not they are not valid. So, indeed, many of their "scoops" become little more than speculation and often no more than rumor. And a lot of those so-called scoops rank in the category of little more than gossip. The other side of the country is simply a different game and they most definitely do more sensationalizing to sell papers, where the competition is greater. West Coast is pretty laid back. And after all, even after 40+ yrs. of mlb out here, we're still babes in comparison to the midwest and east coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

dj, that was depressing news. shame on you. seriously, though, I have no clue how oakland will fork over 300mil for a park and I don't know where we'll get the corp. sponsorship. that scares me a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

i've decided to be optimistic. I very much hate relying on Glenn Dickey for anything, but he brown noses better than anybody, and on the Marty Lurie show was talking about his conversation with Wolfe in January.

Here's what resonates: He has a plan to make it work...in Oakland...he thinks he can do a BIG real estate deal...housing, big box retail, everthing.

Look the guy is from LA. What they did there with the real estate deal on the Staples center was incredible. 10 square blocks of redevelopment.

i think the guy has a plan, and is properly holding his cards close to the vest. I'm cautiously optomistic the A's will be in Oakland for a very long time.

'course the leg and width room of the seats will be way closer together and cost twice as much...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

The thing is, if you follow closely, many of them are what I call "Peter Gammons' scoops" and in reality aren't scoops (though I guess many readers think so) because more often than not they are not valid.

- Maybe rags like the NY Post, but papers like the Sun Times have great sportswriters, and they rarely, if ever, will print a story without multiple-source credibility (eg, they haven't said anything yet re AJ being traded). The difference is that Midwest and East coast sports reporters don't shy away from controversy (eg, their top story today -- http://www.suntimes.com/index/cubs.html -- whereas reporters like Slusser almost never write articles that stir things up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

Remember, Slusser is a REPORTER, not a COLUMNIST. It's not her job to give opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 06:36 pm:

As eyleenn states. Columnists, as has been already pointed out, can mix opinion with fact and often just go to press with opinion. Beat reporters print the facts ... that is that is what they are paid to do. There is very much a difference. As a journalist, milo, I should think you would recognize this. Read my lips. Beat reporters are NOT paid to stir up controversy. If and whenever they do they will find interviews and future info very difficult to come by. Further, in some cases, they will deliberately be fed a bunch of BS, geared to make them look even worse.

As far as AJ Pierzynski being traded. Go back and read what I said. I said KEN KORACH ... A's announcer ... mentioned he had heard a rumor that the Sox were willing to deal him. So, what was the point of mixing that in? Korach is an announcer, not a writer and nobody said he was traded.

okplayer, what are you talking about? "dj that was depressing news, shame on you, seriously." What did I say that was depressing? Only thing I can figure out it is in reference to Padecky's column? If so, yes, indeed, I was very angry when I read that. And he didn't even have the foresight to at least wait until after the press conference. Lowell Cohn's column today, is along the same vein, and definitely one of his worst columns. But I'm telling you the pressdemocrat is totally biased in behalf of the Giants. Though I will say, their beat writer ... who covers whichever team is at home at the time ... has written some fine up close and personal articles on several A's players over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 06:39 pm:

I forgot to mention, "their beat writer" being Jeff Fletcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 07:08 pm:

Nevermind Crowley, i want to know ... if Beane's "tad less" than 5% is enough?!? Anyway, great news. Next up: revenue streams. And in a black suit and pink tie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

Bruce Jenkins column today also mentioned that AJ is already on the block.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.