Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Does the media want the A's out of Oakland.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Does the media want the A's out of Oakland.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

On the Channel 5 noon news I heard one of the anchors saying "it's a new ballgame for the A's, but it might not be in Oakland", she also said that "Wolff does not plan on moving the team to San Jose" and after saying that she jokingly said "but he didn't say anything about not moving to Las Vegas". I wonder if Channel 5 and the rest of the media is anti-Oakland A's because they're making the new ownership seem bittersweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

Yeah, I heard that too. It makes me sick. Fuck'em! Especially Barbara Rogers. She's a 49'er fan and doesn't hesitate to say shit about the Raiders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

Interesting, because they obviously hear only what they want to hear. If they read today's LA Times article, (surprisingly) they'll read Selig's comments where he pretty much says the concentration should be in Oakland, even if it takes longer than the year Wolff has mentioned. They would also read that the higher ups in mlb are not high on Las Vegas or Portland for future franchises. During the conference I heard no inference that the team would be looking elsewhere. I gues these same mediots sat on the air shedding tears when it looked the Giants were headed to Tampa Bay, too. It's called WC's envy. Their team has none and their best player is a cheater. Different strokes for different strokes in trying to overcome, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

Does anyone have a link to that LA Times article?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:23 am:

Leave it to the Bay Area media to accent the negative. However, there was a quote by Wolff in the LA Times article the gave me pause:

"If we're going to stay in the Bay Area, we're going to try and build a new facility in the Oakland area."

IF we're going to stay in the Bay Area. That does leave room for moving OUT of the Bay Area. Still, I choose to believe the plain meaning of what Wolff says. Call me Pollyanna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:11 am:

oaklandfasho, go to the "Baseball" topic and you'll see the thread re the LA Times article; the poster gives the site there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:38 am:

what else is new. don't freak about the media. they know nada, save beat writers. what really needs to happen is the ownership group and Jerry Brown need to get together and really focus on how a ballpark can revitalize the URBAN oakland community with new jobs, shops, etc...but again, with an URBAN east bay feel. I'm not down for the gentrified crap. Of course, wolff thinks the coli sight is the best location. Do you think it's b/c the land there is cheaper? Talk about a sterile location for a park. Jack london/lake merit would be a dream (except for the parking/traffic sitation).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

I got more informative and timely reporting about the sale of the team and the positive intents of the new owner from the out of town LA Times, interesting.

Anyway, perspective ballpark sites. Okplayer I have always been an advocate of locating the park in or near the downtown and BART (Uptown or Laney college). However, neither of those sites are available and now I'm starting to warm up to the Coliseum site. I actually think it could work despite its sterile strip suburban layout. If you take the ballpark and combine it with some attractive uses you could further enhance this part of Oakland which is recognized as a destination and accessible from BART, Airport, Amtrak, and the freeways. What needs to be done is to figure out a way to provide additional venues for even more resons for people to come to the area and some design is needed to make the walk from BART to the park more attractive. If locating the park at the coliseum can help keep overall costs down the team has a better chance of remaining accessible to more fans of all incomes. I agree I dont want some over gentrified park with these segregated areas that only the rich can afford (SBC Park) though I am aware that luxury boxes and corporate advertising are necessary financing evils. If the team uses the sense to build a ballpark that they did building the organization I'm not too worried. But this is one of the reasons I've always liked the A's no matter what your opinion is about all their past owners one thing they all have in common is the ability to construct a good entertaining team, keeping those good teams together is another issue. Plus our current fan base is probably one of the smartest in baseball and certainly the most online savvy (take that Gnats fans).

Finally to everyone, next time your at the game walk up to top of the third deck on the right field side and look over the railing to the east thats the view you will see from a park built off the south parking lot, with batters facing east.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

will the coli remain? There'd be three facilities there. Pretty crowded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:47 pm:

Of course the coli will remain, we still have the Raiders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:11 pm:

Did anyone realize that the A's press conference was shown live on FSBA. Unfortunately, it was cut off at 11:30 after a half hour as FSBA had to run an infomercial. It is amazing how some of the media react so negatively. The conference was very positive and well presented by Wolff and Beane. Wolff is a breath of fresh air from a PR standpoint. We have to face the fact that most of the media are based in San Francisco and are pro Giants and anti A's. Despite the success of the Giants ,drawing 90% of capacity while televising almost every game and being financially successful with a new stadium, there is a genuine resentment of the A's by most of their fans and media supporters. They have an inferiority complex which necessitates their ridicule and outright lying about the A's. Although I am not a psychologist, I believe this behavior is attributable to the fact that the Giants played in an inferior facility for 40 years ( 1960 -1999); were rejected FOUR times by the electorate despite lobbying heavily for a new stadium; have not generally had the success of the A's in terms of winning Division, League or World Series titles, were outdrawn by the A's several times pre SBC Park and the A's have generally had more talented and entertaining teams. In other walks of life I brush these people people off as simply being sick. It is probably the right approach to take here too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

yeah, I would have to somewhat agree with you rono. I think another reason for the resentment is the fact that people are starting to realize that Oakland will not be the laughing stock of the Bay Area much longer. We have the location, the weather, and the diversity that most other cities in California, let alone the Bay Area does not have. We are also the only city in California besides L.A. to have 3 professional sports teams. Another thing that is not widely known is that Oakland is actually bigger than San Francisco in terms of area. The media realizes what Oakland has and is doing everything possible to stop Oakland from growing taller than the shadow that S.F. has had over us for decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 11:01 pm:

I knew the conference was on FSNBA, only because I hunted for it, and not long before it came on, found a blurb re same in Steve Kroner's (sfgate) column. I was mad that they cut it off at 30 minutes. But at least got most of the good stuff.

You're definitely right, rono. I completely agree with re to Giants' fans' envy ... and that's what it is. Once Mays and other stars of his time, played out their careers, for the most part (starting especially with 1972) the Giants' teams have been anything but exciting or fun to watch (excepting the fans who think watching Barroids cheat his way to HR records is exciting). Except for the mid-90's, early 80's the A's have always had colorful and more exciting teams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:22 am:

Oakland has diversity. San Francisco has perversity

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 09:18 am:

thank you for that Mr. Limbaugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

I can't think of one newcaster in the bay area that supports the A's.

It's strange too because there are a handful of those who support the Raiders but when baseball season comes along, they seem to be more pro Giant than they are to the A's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 05:32 pm:

You're right. When news people even casually mention baseball, it's always the gnats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

It sucks that KTVU is so pro-Gnats especially since their studio is based in Jack London Square area. Those Raiders who support the Gnats just like to wear black. Those newscasters just take the A's for granted like some people in the Bay Area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 08:43 pm:

Even though it may not make a difference, it's good to complain, instead of saying, "that's the way it is.."Call the station, let them know you want BOTH bay area teams represented!
KGO radio has lately reported the Giants score, doesn't even MENTION the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

"It sucks that KTVU is so pro-Gnats especially since their studio is based in Jack London Square area. Those Raiders who support the Gnats just like to wear black. Those newscasters just take the A's for granted like some people in the Bay Area."

They're not just pro Giants, they're pro SF everything. They broadcast both the Giant and Niner games. Even during their news openings/closing credits; they show the city of SF and not Oakland.

Brought this up many times, but if you didn't know if, you wouuld think that KTVU was based somewhere in downtown SF and not in Oakland's JLS. You would think at least one news station would lean towards more of the Oakland/east bay area but not KTVU. Hell even KNTV leans towards the SJ/south bay area.

The A's are getting killed in every single media outlet. From the tv side with KTVU vs KICU , radio with KNBR vs KFRC, and the print with the SF Chron being the dominant newspaper in this area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:16 am:

KNBR and KTVU are share holders of the Giants organization, which constitutes a huge conflict of interests. Every A's fan should not only boycott those media but also write to their sponsors stating they will boycott their products.

Do A's fans have the will and energy to do such a thing? I doubt it. So all we can do is bitch about it among ourselves while the Giants continue to laugh all the way to the bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 12:05 pm:

What's really lousy is that if an A's fan wants to listen to sports talk, KNBR is the only choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

Well, instead of A's fans listening and watching, maybe we should break some attendance records and actually go out to more games. I know I need to get out to more games because i'm starting to rely too much on Fox Sports Net when I wanna see a game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

I don't listen to KNBR or watch KTVU (except for when the A's are on channel 2) as it is, Lil. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:14 pm:

"What's really lousy is that if an A's fan wants to listen to sports talk, KNBR is the only choice."

Yeah, and even KHTK 1140 in Sac if you try to listen to it, it's mostly all Kings.

That's why I always wanted an east bay radio sports station. The ticket 1050 used to be that source but it's a joke now.

A place where Raiders, A's, and Warriors fans can talk about their teams with hosts that are actually fans of the team.

Come on, somebody on both the A's/Raiders should work together and get this thing done and I'm a Niners fan but I'm tired of listening to both KNBR stations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:08 am:

"On the Channel 5 noon news I heard one of the anchors saying "it's a new ballgame for the A's, but it might not be in Oakland", she also said that "Wolff does not plan on moving the team to San Jose" and after saying that she jokingly said "but he didn't say anything about not moving to Las Vegas". I wonder if Channel 5 and the rest of the media is anti-Oakland A's because they're making the new ownership seem bittersweet. "

I doubt the anchor meant anything by it. First of all, she may have read something that a producer wrote for her. If she didn't write it, she may not know that much about baseball, but has heard the A's might move, so she just said what she knew about to have something to say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:27 am:

"I doubt the anchor meant anything by it. First of all, she may have read something that a producer wrote for her. If she didn't write it, she may not know that much about baseball, but has heard the A's might move, so she just said what she knew about to have something to say."

1. Barbara Rogers is supposedly a professional and should not make such speculative statements.
2. She is also very bias as to which team(s) she is loyal.
3. As a professional she is not allowed to give her personal opinion. She is there to report the News and "facts". She and Roberta Gonzalez are the least professional news personalities on bay area newscasts.

So I don't buy the statement above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

Oaklandfasho, I go to many games-I'm mainly talking about them telling baseball scores. I actually hear more positive remarks about the A's on KHTK, in Sacramento! It's ridiculous to have JT The Brick on two bay area stations. He thinks being an announcer is to just yell, and talk fast.Yet, you have all these people calling him like he's the best sports announcer. He and Gary Radnich I avoid listening to..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

dorrit,

that's good to know you go out to many games. I wasn't trying to blame anyone I was just making a suggestion. I even pointed out myself as one of the fans that need to get out to the games more instead of just watch them on T.V.
As for Gary Radnich, I've always thought he thought Oakland and it's teams was some kind of joke. For example, he always points out the attendance for the A's and Raiders when it's not good, but blame the weather or bad opponents when SF may have a bad drawing night. He just seems like another pro-SF guy to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:24 pm:

dorrit, I wouldn't count Sac's 1140 as a "bay area" station.

But what's even worse is to have the Razor and Mr. T show on both 680 and 1050 especially when there's no SFG or W game that would bump it off one of those stations.

At least if there's no game conflicting with that show, give the bay area sports listeners some diversity. Allow 1050 to have a show on when there is no conflicting game on that day, hell put on Rod Brooks back there in the 3-7 spot even though he shares the timeslot of 12-3 with Barry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 06:21 pm:

Well, it looks like the A's will have to find another radio home. The religious group that bought 610 KFRC I read in the trib today that they won't renew the contract for the A's when the deal is up.

What other station is on the AM dial? Could the A's make the swtich to an FM station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:31 pm:

That news has been around for several weeks. I did read somewhere that an FM station is a possibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:38 pm:

910 AM is a likely choice but has a weaker signal than 610. 1260 is just part of KOIT FM and would be a good choice. It seems to have a better signal than 910. 960 is another possibility as well as 1310. None is as good as 610.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 09:14 pm:

910 does Stanford basketball. At least a little bit of a sports connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 09:29 pm:

KHTK in Sacramento at least says SOME positive comments, or concern for the A's. Oh, the Razor and Mr. T ARE irritating as hell.
Oaklandfasho, I know you didn't mean anything by that. I just get frustrated we don't have a radio person pumped up on the A's. The Giant's sports people LOVED digging in the 10,000 attendance last night. Another year of this-I'm really fed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 06:26 pm:

KFRC is part of Infinity Broadcasting, which in turn is owned by Viacom. Infinity's other Bay Area radio stations are:

San Francisco
KBAY - FM
AC

KCBS - AM
News

KITS - FM
Alt

KLLC - FM
Mod AC

KYCY - AM
Talk

Are any of these viable outlets for A's games? We can rule out KCBS.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.