Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Athletics sign RHP Harden to four-year contract

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Athletics sign RHP Harden to four-year contract
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:48 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=athleticsharden&prov=st&type=lgns

April 2, 2005
OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA (TICKER) -- Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder may be gone, but righthander Rich Harden isn't going anywhere.

The Oakland Athletics signed Harden to a four-year contract with a club option for 2009 on Saturday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Harden was one of the top pitchers in the American League after the All-Star break last year, compiling an 8-2 record with a 3.49 ERA and a .229 opponents batting average in 15 starts.

Overall, the 23-year-old righthander was 11-7 with a 3.99 ERA and led the Athletics in strikeouts with 167 and allowed just 16 home runs in 189 2/3 innings, an average of 0.76 per nine innings, which was fourth-lowest in the AL.

A 17th-round pick in 2000, Harden made his major league debut with the Athletics in 2003, when he went 5-4 with a 4.46 ERA in 15 games, including 13 starts.

Hudson, Mulder and Barry Zito were the anchors of a staff that helped the low-budget Athletics win 90-plus games for five consecutive seasons. However, general manager Billy Beane traded Hudson and Mulder in the offseason, leaving Zito and Harden as the top pitchers in the rotation.

The Athletics hold a club option on Zito for the 2006 season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

yeah, the new regime is committed to winning...but will it be in oakland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:04 pm:

well we had 2 yrs left for Mulder with the last yr being a CLUB OPTION so this means notheing harden could be gone in 3 yrs anyway.

what i do not understand is this if Wolff was goin to buy the A's why did they have to trade 2 of the 3 instead of Wolff signing one of them like Huddy , i can understand trading Mulder but with huddy we would still be a real good club, i mean he is promising things to be different and Beane had to know the club was going to be sold goin into the winter meetings so why was the keep payroll down so important if big $$$ was jumpin on board?.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:15 pm:

**sigh**

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

Am sorry, I really thought signing Harden was a freaking good thing! Man whats up with the gloom and doom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

not doom n goloom but signin him means nothing really , we all thought Huddy and mulder would be with us this yr and 2 yrs for mulder so it really means zero right?

not tryin to be doomy but these signing when we have him locked up anyway mean zero its the long term signings when they are really get good this means more the ones we did not do with Huddy and Miggy that mean alot, this is bullshit stuff these signings Harden can't go anywhere anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:38 pm:

I believe the signing is to get past his arbitration eligibility, if nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:43 pm:

"we all thought Huddy and mulder would be with us this yr and 2 yrs for mulder ..."

Really? You did? You really thought that? If so, you haven't been following this team for the last several years. Were you really shocked by those moves? Come on....

No sense poopooing this Harden signing - this is a freaking steal of a deal and to be honest, Harden will not only be better than the big 3, We actually now DO have a chance to keep some guys with the new ownership.

In the last 2 days, we resigned our best pitcher and the best GM in baseball. While this year may be a bit tough, this is an exciting time to be an a's fan. The deal will be sealed when we can get the new ballpark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

Financial details are out.

2005: $500k (up from $336.5 k that he was due to make)
2006: $1 M
2007: $2 M
2008: $4.5 M
2009: $7 M (club option, no buyout)

So that's 4 years, $8 million guarenteed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By greenandgold on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

Plus a $1M signing bonus makes it $9M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

Double sigh.

"Yeh, the new regime is committed to winning, but will it be in Oakland?"

You know what, maybe I choose to be gullible, but I'm hating some of the stuff I'm reading about will it be in Oakland? These last few days could be great days for Oakland's future. I prefer to think positively on that score until we hear otherwise. If, after 12 mos. the door gets slammed in our faces, then we'll know why this site is still here. But give Wolff the chance to prove otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 11:50 pm:

Signing just means the A's want to be cost certain vs. rolling the dice in arbitration.
This has been the pattern they used with the Big 3 to avoid arbitration problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 09:40 am:

Crosby will be next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:55 am:

I'd like to lock up Haren too, who I think will be one of the best #3 starters in due time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:13 am:

ah dj you started it with that one post about Wolff being brought in to move the team.

(I'm breaking your balls so no need for a tirade against me:)

Sacto, personally I don't think the A's are sold that Huddy/Mulder are worth long-term deals. Mulder's breakdown last year was scary and Huddy's recuring injury, small size, and violent motion had to be disconcerting to A's brass. Plus, I like what we got in return for Mulder.

How ironic that we freaked about the mulder deal more than the huddy deal yet the huddy deal might be worse.

Another thing, if the a's ownership is going to spend money, I'd rather they be frugal with players (like they always are) on the field and use the scrilla they save for funding a ballpark in oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:14 am:

The going rate on these deals (Chavy, Tejada, Muldar, Hudson, Zito...of the top of my decripit memory), usta be 4 years, $10 million.

yet ticket prices go up....hmmmmmmm.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

Crosby will likely have to wait a year or two,
then get a contract to take up his arbitration
years. These contract are not really increased
expenditures, but merely trying to be cost certain, and not getting stung with unplanned
spikes in arbitration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:13 pm:

See Susan Slusser, they are already initiating conversations re an extension for Crosby.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.