Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

OPENING DAY ROSTER

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: OPENING DAY ROSTER
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:35 am:

The infielders are Eric Chavez, Crosby, Mark Ellis, Keith Ginter, Scott Hatteberg and Scutaro (plus DH Erubiel Durazo); the outfielders are Eric Byrnes, Bobby Kielty, Mark Kotsay, Charles Thomas and Nick Swisher; the catchers are Jason Kendall and Melhuse; the starting rotation is Barry Zito, Harden, Dan Haren, Joe Blanton and Saarloos; and the rest of the bullpen is Octavio Dotel, Juan Cruz, Kiko Calero, Ricardo Rincon, Keiichi Yabu and Justin Duchscherer......and Street....that makes 26... what did I do wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:55 am:

sarloos will start in AAA until his 1st scheduled start. I think they'll skip him since they'll have an off-day (thus don't need a 5th starter). Could be wrong but that's what I heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 08:54 am:

that's what I read too - looks like Scooter will be demoted at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 09:39 am:

But if Harden's blister prevents him from taking his start Wednesday, Saarloos will be placed on the roster and will pitch that game. Scooter will go down. Too bad, it should be Kielty or Ginter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:02 am:

dj, disagree about ginter. we need his stick if it's as good as it was last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:34 am:

okplayer, I'd go along with that, except ... so far we've seen no stick ... just lousy defense. Yeh, I know ST stats are often meaningless, but throw into the pot his moving from a fastball league to a not so fastball league. Greater players than he have had problems with the adjustment. I hope I'm wrong, but I have major doubts about this guy. If he doesn't come around by the end of the month, Scutaro deserves every chance to be up here in lieu of him ... in fact, I believe he already does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:00 am:

yeah, there's the rub is his stick as good as advertised? funny usually it takes a while to watch a guy to see if he can play defense...holy shit...with ginter, it took like one or two plays for me to realize he stinks. I don't like Ginter turning the DP at all. Yuk. I personally think he's better suited as a 1st/DH back up. I am troubled that he wasn't working hard on his "D" during spring training. I mean the guy was totally unproven until last year.

But man, the ball does jump off his bat from the couple exhibition games I saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 02:30 pm:

My question is, if Scooter is shipped out, who
backs up Crosby at SS. Ellis would normally
do that, but with his shoulder can he make the
throws from the hole without potentially reinjuring his shoulder? It is a long throw, and
all arm, 2nd base is a lot shorter throw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By milo on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 02:58 pm:

re Ginter, i think he's gonna be fine with that compact swing - easier to stay back on the offspeed pitches, which he will see more of. he'll be nice to have around against lefties, both as a starter and pinch.

if you look at his splits last year, he had a solid averages against several good-pitching teams - houston, st. louis, minn., LA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:08 pm:

rocket, you bring up an interesting point. The other nite they had Ellis over at short an inning or two, until Wash told Macha he should stay at 2nd, and Scutaro finished at short. By the way, Scutaro has done a fine job when filling in at short. Come to think of it, that may have been the inning they moved Ellis to third and not short, after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

Unfortunately my point has now become real, probably a good thing that Scooter was already
on the roster now that Crosby's back is troubling him. A back problem for a shortstop and flare up
again at any time. Lot's of bending and throwing
from awkward positions, lots of stress on the back. And that doesn't include the torque applied to your back when yoy swing the bat.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.