Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Wolff: A's man with a plan

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Wolff: A's man with a plan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:01 am:

Nice question/answer session with Dave Newhouse. I liked his response to this question.

Q: The Coliseum parking lot, which you're focused on offers BART and highway access but no aesthetic qualities. Would you agree?

A: You haven't seen what we plan to build there yet.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_2642539

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

so far he is the anti-schott....he is saying all the right things!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 02:40 pm:

This was kind of nice to see:
Q. Under your watch, if an A's player becomes a high-priced commodity, would he categorically leave as others have before him?

A. That will be up to Billy and his recommendations to us.

Translation: if Beane sees spending the money to be a good idea, we'll do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 01:17 pm:

Uh oh: "Actually, our pricing structure is quite low for almost every aspect (of the ballpark), so I don't see us doing (any price reductions)."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 07:15 am:

A new ballpark means a new pricing structure, all right. Be prepared to pay, pay, pay. There is no such thing as a free lunch...or a free ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 11:06 am:

With the 3rd richest ownership group now, hopefully these guys do what Moreno did for the Angels.

A new park on the coliseum location isn't my first choice but if they can build it as nice as the Phillies built Citizen Bank Park which is basically out in the middle of nowhere, I'd be fine with that kind of park.

Still hoping for a waterfront park near JLS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:28 pm:

Hopefully they do everything but name them the "San Jose Athletics of Oakland" like Moreno did for the Angels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:43 pm:

Or come up with the Golden State A's?

At least the W's are looking like they actually are turning the corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:09 am:

Why the hell would they name them "San Jose Athletics of Oakland"? That just doesn't make any sense. Everyone
knows where L.A. is. And L.A. has a more sellable name than Anaheim. Whereas S.J. could be in any third world, latin american country. Most people outside the bay area or california, have no idea wher San Jose is located. The only cities your logic could apply to would be large, recognizable, metropolitan cities. Especially when that city has some sort of novelty connected to it, i.e., NY, Boston, Chicago, SF, LA, etc., etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 01:58 pm:

How about the San Francisco Bay Area Athletics!

Did your hear where Fosse said he would ONLY call them the Anaheim Angels. Do you think Arty will give Wolfy a call to get with the program...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 08:31 am:

Tek, that is so true. I work in San Jose and I have found when traveling that most know the general area, but they are not exactly sure where San Jose is located. Most people know the the region as Silicon Valley and refer to it as south of San Francisco. It always surprises me that for such a big city (shy of 1 million people) San Jose seems very generic. It is very nice and the people are great so I am not tryiing to bag on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:52 am:

San Jose is a wonderful city. My father and elder brother and sister were born and raised there. As big a city as SJ is, there reallly is no distinguishable charactor associated with SJ to say, Hey I know where San Jose is.

On the other hand, it doesn't have the negative rep that Oakland has. I live in a really beautiful part of Oakland. But when I say I from Oakland... nothing. All of a sudden it's gotten very quiet. As though they didn't want to talk about, you know, IT. I think SF has really stifled the area's two really descent communities. Both cities are livable and both have much better weather. But SF gets all the publicity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:39 pm:

tek,

Come on, didn't not Dionne Warrick put San Jo on the map!? Kidding aside, I know what you mean when you think of SJ you think of one big suburb. Also now that I have lived in Pleasanton for over a year I tell people when traveling that I live in the Oakland area. It's met with a hush or I have to tell them it's next to SF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 05:18 pm:

Yea, the reaction is usualy not good when you say you're from or live in Oakland. Whenever I
say i'm from here people usually don't say much or they only think of it as the home of crazy, alcoholic raiders fans. Sometimes people may tend to think it's another part of San Francisco similar to a "borough" in New Yorrk City or something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 05:31 pm:

Just keep telling them you're from Oakland. The ignorance is their problem not yours. If they don't know where a major city in their own country is, there is nothing you can do about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:18 am:

I had a friend who once introduced me to friends of hers that I was from the "east bay area". I quickly corrected her and said I was from Oakland. I then said what a wonderful city it is and that I love living there.

A lawyer friend of mine once said: "don't tell anyone how nice it is here or the yuppies (1980's) will move in and ruin it for everyone living here now."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:58 am:

Back to the topic of this thread, here's an interesting column about Wolff by Gwen Knapp in today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/12/SPGANC6OPF1.DTL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.